Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
I have Flown this Glider at the beach as well as other places and i must say this thing does not want to Land at all which causes sort of a dangerous threat to the safety of the glider and my surroundings. . at the beach i have a semi strip that i can land but it's not that long but it's duuable...but i must have circled at least 10 times to land cause it just kept going and going and going...well my question is,,,if i were to install Servos and activate these Alternate Flaps..Would that be a Night and Day difference in Landing? i really didn't want to go thru the trouble of extra Wiring if it was only going to make a little difference so i'm posting this question as a concern...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:09 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,329 Posts
if you set up crow.. it would .. flaps down , ail up.. would act as a speed brake
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Just the flaps by themselves work very well and will allow you to come in much slower for more precise landings. If you can program in some come crow(also called butterfly mixing), it'll slow and sink quickly.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:05 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
rhampton,
if you use AR500 and DX7 and have separeted the ailerons to two channels you can use "flapperon", as futaba calls it. before I had mounted flaps servos I folded both ailerons 30-40degrees upwards. That reduces lift and added some drag. One very good brake is also to run the motor very slowly! That is maybe the very best way to slow down the speed. And stop the motor just before setting her down.

Nice to see so many new guys here around! In Sweden the season is long gone! But today seems to become a nice day and I have a day off. Maybe...

And I think she meaure 100" +1...

/BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Sep 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
I have Flown this Glider at the beach as well as other places and i must say this thing does not want to Land at all which causes sort of a dangerous threat to the safety of the glider and my surroundings. . at the beach i have a semi strip that i can land but it's not that long but it's duuable...but i must have circled at least 10 times to land cause it just kept going and going and going...well my question is,,,if i were to install Servos and activate these Alternate Flaps..Would that be a Night and Day difference in Landing? i really didn't want to go thru the trouble of extra Wiring if it was only going to make a little difference so i'm posting this question as a concern...
I had severe problems trying to land mine until i managed to get the CROW braking set-up properly. The thing would just keep on going and quite often i needed multiple attempts.
I can now land it within 10 metres of me about 4 out of 5 times with 50 degree flaps and 30 on the ailerons when using CROW.

I still find that it needs aggressive down elevator before flaring though, which is a bit unnerving until you get used to it, it does feel like you are flying at the ground....
eddie currents is online now Find More Posts by eddie currents
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:31 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Are you using a 3s? with this setup you have? i'm thinking of getting this one from Nitro Planes for $198 RTF but it only comes with 40a esc and 3s Lipo. I hear talk about 4s but what if i wanted to leave everything alone and use stock setup, will it have really good launching from your hand and almost go straight up or is 4s necessary.
Hi again! I did read back in this thread and found your question. I did buy without tx rx and 40A esc and no flaps. On my first video I have only ailerons but 60A ESC, then on the second video the flaps servo is mounted. I programmed the ESC for 3s not to switch of when using 4s, but then there is no warning for low voltage on 4s! (No auto detection of voltage in this esc.)
I think 3s is ok and lower weight for thermal, but once tested 4s.... Its more fun! Keep on flying! And later you can buy two extra servos for the flaps and a 60A ESC with larger BEC for the the extra servo current (and 4s).

Experiment with slow motor flying on higher altitude.
And using ailerons as flaps. But with only elevator you flip them up not down, to brake and reduce lift (and not to forget: reducing stall). If you have mixer you can compensate also on elevator.

BG
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:29 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks for the Comments...i appreciate it..u guys are very serious at this and i like that....well my 1st comment is yes i'm using DX7 and AR500 but i thought the AR500 couldnt use the 2 channels to separate the Ailerons....That's why i'm using the "Y" cable...but if i'm wrong then what channel would the other Aileron go in. Aux or Gear and when i do that,,i'm going to need help with the setting on my DX7...i think i will start with using Ailerons as Flaps 1st since there's no physical Modification as of yet. Then once that's done i will see about Flaps, Crow, etc.....but 1st i need help with settings and wihat channel my other Aileron would go...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:39 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
This can be an interesting disscussion if some DX7 AR500 experienced guys participate! I have ailerons on ch 1 and 6. You will need to reverse direction on servo1 (right wing) due to the reversed mounting of that servo. It is reversed to move reversed to other servo for aileron stroke with Y-cable. One up one down. (I have Futaba 6EX-2.4GHz.) AR500? maybe only 5 channel?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:49 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i know that AR6100 park flyer Rx can do it. i have all my little foamies setup like that but i never could do that on the AR500...and yes i hope some participants can assist with this for those who are familiar with the AR500......one of my fears was everytime i put that Darn Wing on, i have to adjust all the Wires underneath the Foam so i can the Wing on. Soo annoying...one time i end up squeezing the wires cause i didnt have them undernearth the foamy part all the way and i'm afraid i may short them out so iif install Flaps, that's just 2 extra wires i have to fool around with ...lol....just trying to make it easy...That's just one Design Flaw i dont like about the 2500...Trying to squeeze those wires underneath Foam as you push the Wings on.....
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:36 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
I did tape the two connectors together in parallell so they alwas connect to right servo!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
[QUOTE=BG Bengtsson;23273640]This can be an interesting disscussion if some DX7 AR500 experienced guys participate!

Hi BG and others,

How timely to discuss this issue. I have been looking for help in setting up the "D" for full house. I fly a Spektrum DX7 with the Orange Spektrum 7 channel Rx from Hobby King. I e-mailed Spektrum directly only to be told to check out RC Groups. Would have thought that they would have figured this out. RC Groups has many examples some of which don't fit or make sense to me. This is my first full house setup having flown only RES. I have ailerons on Channels 2 & 6. Flaps on Channels 5 & 7. I have aileron/rudder mix and flaps/elevator. Some of the programming uses a Y harness for flaps, others not. Some use the throttle for motor as well as another function, which scares me. Some move ailerons from channels 2 & 6. How does this work?

As you can see I do need help! Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

"D" has been flown with the elevator shim after repairs as mentioned in a previous post. It flies OK but still need working on. I have it slightly nose heavy with the 3S. Will keep at it to get it easier to handle.

Thanks guy's,

Jack
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:11 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Hi Jack!
-Nose heavy with 3S! Is that possible! Have you not removed the iron weights up front?
-Aileon on Ch2 & 6? So there are different ways to connect? I know there are mode1 and mode2 tx arrangement. I did just read in my futaba maual that there are four different stick modes! And 99% of the Americans fly their models in mode2 (as I also does!) Left stick is rudder and throttle, right stick is aileron and elevator. I guess that then there are different connection stick-channel for different brand/mark of radio. On the futaba there are no normal 4channel full control of aileron and flaps due to only six channels. So I use Gear ch5 for flaps.
tbc
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
178 Posts
When I was using a DX7 for the Diamond 2500 I had mine setup for full house. Watch this video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vovzR...ure=plpp_video
geives1 is online now Find More Posts by geives1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
321 Posts
Programming the DX7s is very similar to the DX8. I just recently bought a used Spektrum DX8, so I’m not an expert on programming the DX and haven't even tried to program it for my D2500.

What I've noticed is, Spektrum doesn’t assign channel numbers, but instead gives them acronyms which represent functionality. The channels get reassigned based on the Wing configuration menu settings. Unfortunately, the labels on the Rx don’t change accordingly.

You can use the DX’s Monitor function located in the Setup Menu to see how the channels are reassigned.

From the DX7s user manual…

And again from the user manual, here’s the Wing Type setup menu options.

Wing types “Dual Ail” and “Flaperon” have the same channel assignments. Choosing “Flaperons” simply enables the Flap System programable features. So, there may be a reason for this awkward enable feature, but you need to change the wing type to enable flaperons for using ailerons as flaps (less desirable stability on D2500…. i.e., wings with no separate flap servos).

With the AR500 Rx, you only have 5 channels, so you can’t set up flaperons with four wing servos (6 channels Rx required). As BG already pointed out, one flap servo on the D2500 is mounted backwards, so with a 6-channel Rx, for flaperons, you’d need to be able to program one flap servo to reverse. Not sure if DX-7s supports this kind of reverse, if not, then you’d need to do it by taking the servo apart and reverse motor wires it inside.

So with the AR500 and the D2500 flap option installed, you’d need to install a ‘Y’ cable using one channel for flaps.

There’s a nice worksheet in the DX7s user manual that might help to see what functions are programmable. Nice worksheet, but I don’t understand the ELEV-RUDD Mix block next to D/R Expo block, must be a typo there.

When I get mine programmed, I'll post a completed worksheet. That will probably be later than sooner. Hope this helps.

Barry
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
No Longer an immediate issue. "D 2500" buried itself again. Scrap pile now! Pilot error? It had not flown well since the repairs. Who knows? I don't think I will try another one at this time. It was an interesting aircraft. The discussion on how to set up a full house aircraft is still of interest. I have a Cularis to set up for next year. Will need the info to handle that one.

This is a great thread and I will continue to follow it with great interest.

Thanks to all for your info, It has been great,

Jack
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC