Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:26 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Bengtsson View Post
Hi Jeff
congratulation to nice soaring! I can feel your feeling! Its nice! Murphys law about the camera...
But what do you mean with ... then deploying full flaps. Did you really have full flaps while soaring?! Then it must have been real thermals, if you just could take the hang on the elevator! (maybe bad english... hope you anderstand)
/BG
Yup, full flaps while soaring. For me, and my inexperience with soaring, it just travels to far to fast for me to stay where I want to be, I still loose a lot of altitude in turns. With the flaps down, the plane slows way down and seems to almost float in place.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:42 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Hello all,

Received my D2500 and noticed that wings don't fit perfectly in their slots on the fuselage and thus the nylon pins can't be used all the way as they are supposed to. How is possible to overcome this issue? Maybe removing plywood layer on one of the wings in order to provide better sliding?

Thanks!
datyip is offline Find More Posts by datyip
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datyip View Post
Hello all,

Received my D2500 and noticed that wings don't fit perfectly in their slots on the fuselage and thus the nylon pins can't be used all the way as they are supposed to. How is possible to overcome this issue? Maybe removing plywood layer on one of the wings in order to provide better sliding?

Thanks!
datyip,

Not sure what your problem is, but as shown in the photo below, the wings on my recently purchased D2500 also don't align perfectly. On both sides, there is a step-up and step-down. However the wings do fit up to the fuselage allowing the pins to be inserted. On my D2500 there is a noticeable gap between the wing and fuselage on each side, but this doesn't seem to affect the assembly.

When new, the mating of the two wings with pipe is stiff. You might try lightly sanding any factory surface glue from the mating surfaces. You can't remove the plywood, as it provides the strength needed to keep the wings together in flight with the pins installed. Also, you may need to deburr the square steel spar in each wing where the pipe inserts.

Also notice in the photo, that at the center of the wing assembly, at both the leading and trailing edge, there is a significant gap. This gap meets up with foam inside the fuselage, so the wing is constrained and centered with the pins in place.

Hope that helps. Barry
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Last edited by Barry2020; Sep 05, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Hi Datyip,
Do not remove the plywood! They give the stiffness to the fitting to the fuselage. Can you put the wings together as Barry shows in the picture and then put the plastic pins in the wing holes, without the fuselage? (And also with the aluminium pipe inside!) I remember that it was very tight the first time. Use sand paper on the plywood if it do not fit. Then put the wings on the fuselage, and look down through the hole for the plastic pin if you can se the plywood. Maybe the stop blocks in the fuselage are to big? In my fuselage I had to glue 1mm basa on one side of the stop block at the front side, to have the wing tight mounted.
I also have some tape on the Aluminium pipe, at the middle and at each end to stiff it up and keep it in position when putting the wings together. Mark the mid point with an marker pen, and put the rod into one wing first with tighter tape on that side then slide on the other wing.
Good luck!
BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
I sanded the edges of the plywood on the wings with a bevel to help them slip together. I've had the wings off a dozen times or so, and I still have to wrestle them on.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:50 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Thanks
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:54 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Thanks all for the tips/comments/support...
When I get home, I'll try to put the wings together and then put the plastic pins in the wing holes without the fuselage and see if they fit right but as I remember I can put the wings together like Barry picture, seems exactly the same at first sight...
Either way I'll probably sand the plywood as you said and give more tries...
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Hi Daytip,

I'm sorry to hear that someone else had the same problems with the fit. Mine was off about 3/16 in. with the left panel higher than the right similar to yours. I sanded everything, plywood, top of wings, bottom of wings, fuse slot, top and bottom as well as taking about 3/16 in. off the leading edge root where it butts against the inside post before I could get it to fit. It is still snug but workable with patience. Also had to open up the area in the wing panels to allow the aluminum tube to fit without hanging up on the foam, as well as deburring the square tube opening in the wing panel.

The plywood came off while I was sanding it and had to glue it back with epoxy. It was not very well glued in the first place. I took care not to sand any one part too much to avoid weakening it

All was worth the effort. Flies really well.

Good luck

Jack
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Jack, what # sand paper did you use?
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Jack, what # sand paper did you use?
Hi Norcal,

I used 100 grit on a sanding block and for the fuse I wrapped the 100 around a piece of PVC pipe. Be careful not to take too much as the ongoing insertions of the wing will wear down the foam where you sanded. Be sure to insert one wing panel at a time to see if you can line up the pin holes. This is how I found that the left wing root at the leading edge was preventing the wing from going into the fuse far enough to aligne it.

Jack
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:54 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Seems like many people were experienced this issue unfortunately... The glider construction/details is very good IMO, only a small details need to be corrected...
I can't indeed join both wings together with the supplied AL rod and have a perfectly fit. I really need to sand those plywood layers for them to slide as far as possible. Mine (plywood) also came off days ago and I had glued it and so far its holding pretty well! (noticed as well that they were not very well glued when opened the box)
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datyip View Post
Seems like many people were experienced this issue unfortunately... The glider construction/details is very good IMO, only a small details need to be corrected...
I can't indeed join both wings together with the supplied AL rod and have a perfectly fit. I really need to sand those plywood layers for them to slide as far as possible. Mine (plywood) also came off days ago and I had glued it and so far its holding pretty well! (noticed as well that they were not very well glued when opened the box)
Your problem is probably related to how you reglued the plywood back on. If you used a expansive glue like polyurethane (Gorilla) glue, then proper fitup may have been affected. Also, if you didn't remove any factory glue buildup, then you would be creating additional interference between the mating surfaces.

The foam wing assemblies are molded, so unless Art-Tech changed the molds or the thickness of the plywood, they should all be the same fit.

Did you check the square steel spars to see if they needed deburring?
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:27 PM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Hello Barry,

The problem is not related in how I re-glued the plywood because I had the same problem the first time I tried to fit those wings (and use the nylon pins to secure them on the fuselage). Plywood came off later than that and then I re-glued them (after clean all the original glue) with epoxy which added a very very small layer of glue between then and the foam.

The square steel spars are good not needing any mod as well as the Al rod tube.

I'll just try to sand those plywood layers just a bit and see if I can get a better fit for the wings.

Very nice community here! Glad to join the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
Your problem is probably related to how you reglued the plywood back on. If you used a expansive glue like polyurethane (Gorilla) glue, then proper fitup may have been affected. Also, if you didn't remove any factory glue buildup, then you would be creating additional interference between the mating surfaces.

The foam wing assemblies are molded, so unless Art-Tech changed the molds or the thickness of the plywood, they should all be the same fit.

Did you check the square steel spars to see if they needed deburring?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Just a side note for you guys, the square tubes are aluminum, not steel. While they look like steel, they aren't magnetic(and non-magnetic stainless would be way to expensive for what this plane costs).
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
[QUOTE=Barry2020;22667216]

One would think that is the case Barry. Something must have changed because they simply will not fit without modifications. I thought I might be the only one but, it is apparent that there are many others with the same issue.

Jack