SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrap View Post
oopsy! thats the great thing about the diamond,it doesn't care!
i wasn'y sure about the 80 part is all ,yes mm to cm would make for interesting flight
crabtrap is offline Find More Posts by crabtrap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
61 Posts
Where is the best place to get one of these? I don't want to buy from BH because of their terrible reviews. Any way to get it directly from the manufacturer?
Rexor20 is offline Find More Posts by Rexor20
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can offer me some advice here...

I just bought the D1800, and put it all together today. First time I powered up, the servos were all working correctly, except for the ailerons. So I powered down, and then switched the servo plugs around, since I guessed that must be the problem... As you know the wire colors don't match so one can easily get the polarity wrong. But now, when I power up again, there is a loud "BEEP" coming from the motor, which sounds about every 3 seconds or so. Also, there is a small LED on the Rx which flashes, and one of the servos, the rudder, just sort of 'pulsates' the whole time. I cannot get it to stop, and also there is no response from any input on the Tx. What could this be?? Heck I've not even had this plane out the door yet
Waltjie is offline Find More Posts by Waltjie
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjie View Post
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can offer me some advice here...

I just bought the D1800, and put it all together today. First time I powered up, the servos were all working correctly, except for the ailerons. So I powered down, and then switched the servo plugs around, since I guessed that must be the problem... As you know the wire colors don't match so one can easily get the polarity wrong. But now, when I power up again, there is a loud "BEEP" coming from the motor, which sounds about every 3 seconds or so. Also, there is a small LED on the Rx which flashes, and one of the servos, the rudder, just sort of 'pulsates' the whole time. I cannot get it to stop, and also there is no response from any input on the Tx. What could this be?? Heck I've not even had this plane out the door yet
I've subsequently solved the matter... Thankfully! It was because, firstly I don't have any experience with RC planes and the in-and-outs of binding a Tx with the Rx correctly, and secondly, because the instruction manuals that come with a lot of Chinese-made toys are just sooooo terrible!!
Waltjie is offline Find More Posts by Waltjie
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Congratulation Waltjie!
So now it is only to use the door out and fly!
Do not forget to charge the acc and check all rodder again...

/BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
390 Posts
Hi All !

I just bought a Diamond 2500. I've got some quick questions I hope you guys can help.

I purchased mine from BH without the LiPo or Tx/Rx. So I need to order some more gear before its' RTF.

I've already ordered these....

- 4S 2200mAh LiPO
- balance LiPo charger
- 12mm OD x 40 inch long carbon tubing (to replace the aluminum pipe)
- 14x8 carbon folding prop
- a pair of 500mm long servo extension cables (to support 2-channel ailerons)

I plan to upgrade the micro servos (Art-Tech AS-100), so I have already removed almost all the servos from the foam (except for the rudder servo). The 11g HiTec HS-65HB with Karbonite gears looks good. Anyone know if that's a good choice or have some suggestions? Are these too heavy for the elevator and rudder?

Haven't decided on a Tx/Rx yet. Thanks,

Barry
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor20 View Post
Where is the best place to get one of these? I don't want to buy from BH because of their terrible reviews. Any way to get it directly from the manufacturer?
Bump
Rexor20 is offline Find More Posts by Rexor20
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
diamond 2500 upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
Hi All !

I just bought a Diamond 2500. I've got some quick questions I hope you guys can help.

I purchased mine from BH without the LiPo or Tx/Rx. So I need to order some more gear before its' RTF.

I've already ordered these....

- 4S 2200mAh LiPO
- balance LiPo charger
- 12mm OD x 40 inch long carbon tubing (to replace the aluminum pipe)
- 14x8 carbon folding prop
- a pair of 500mm long servo extension cables (to support 2-channel ailerons)

I plan to upgrade the micro servos (Art-Tech AS-100), so I have already removed almost all the servos from the foam (except for the rudder servo). The 11g HiTec HS-65HB with Karbonite gears looks good. Anyone know if that's a good choice or have some suggestions? Are these too heavy for the elevator and rudder?

Haven't decided on a Tx/Rx yet. Thanks,

Barry
What was your technique for removing the servos from the foam?

I wouuld recommend looking into the 9x radios. You can check out 9xforums.com to learn all about them.
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:48 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor20 View Post
Nitroplanes is the only other place I've seen that sells it, but their version comes with a smaller ESC and no flaps.
Bugman Jeff is online now Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
What was your technique for removing the servos from the foam?

I wouuld recommend looking into the 9x radios. You can check out 9xforums.com to learn all about them.
I used a metal pick to remove the servos; one with a 90 degree angle.

The servos are glued in with a flexible tacky glue. They were glued on the sides and bottom. I used a knife to break the bond on the sides. Then I used a metal pick to break the bond along the bottom side (by inserting it in and turning). The pick also used to pull the servo out.

I had the most trouble with the elevator servo shown here, so some slight foam damage, but the others came free without any significant foam damage. The glue is tacky, so I cleaned the servos with paint thinner & damp (not saturated) cotton q-tip.

I'll take a look at the 9X. Thanks

On another topic....

I noticed there is a manufacturing defect on the main wings.. After fitting them together with the aluminum spar (pipe), the alignment is slightly off, so there is a step up on one side and step down on the other. It still fits the fuselage, but there is a small gap between the wing and fuselage on both sides after the locking pins are in place.

Shouldn't affect the flying. Anyone else notice this?

Also, I noticed that the rudder servo quicklink is the only one with a band to lock the nylon clevis. All the others have no such band. Is there a source for these or tips on making them?

Last edited by Barry2020; Jul 11, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post

Also, I noticed that the rudder servo quicklink is the only one with a band to lock the nylon clevis. All the others have no such band. Is there a source for these or tips on making them?
None of mine came banded...caused a crash for me when an aileron link came off and I was to low and to slow for the remaining aileron to compensate
Bugman Jeff is online now Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, MI, Pontiac
Joined Jul 2006
297 Posts
just use some fuel tubing. Cut little "bands" out of them works PERFECT
X3n0 is offline Find More Posts by X3n0
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3n0 View Post
just use some fuel tubing. Cut little "bands" out of them works PERFECT
Good idea. I found some 1/4 inch heat shrink tubing that I purchased at RadioShack. Used a hair drier to shrink it.

Also, the carbon fiber tube I bought from Goodwinds.com arrived (product # 020980, http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list....ultrudedcarbon . I purchased this in 40 inch length, so I had to cut it to match the aluminum pipe length. The carbon rod fits perfect, so no sanding on the rod was required. I had previously deburred the square metal insert on each wing where the rod inserts.

Here's the weight comparison in grams...

Last edited by Barry2020; Jul 13, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
390 Posts
I received the carbon propeller blades from HobbyKing ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...op_Blades.html ). They are the same pitch and diameter (14x8) as what came installed on the Diamond 2500.

Notice that the new blades have aluminum bushings which is compatible with the original hardware. I was able to reuse the mounting bolts and nylon lock nuts. Just needed a 5.5mm wrench and screwdriver, plus a light coat of moly grease on the pivot surfaces.

Here's the weight difference in grams on my scale.. slightly heavier inspite of a reduced cross section along the inner sweep.

Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Sep 2011
31 Posts
I've just acquired a used 2500 (flaps/4s version) and am having a hoot with it. At the moment the weather is rubbish in the UK with plenty of rain and gusty winds.
After nearly two weeks of waiting around for a calm day i thought 'what the hell' and maidened it anyway in 10-13mph winds gusting to 20. Made good progress into wind with tons of height gain but proved an absolute beast downwind (in terms of speed) until i added appprox 20-30% flaps to slow it.
Proved a bit of a handful initially trimming it but it flies absolutely fine now. Have had 7 flights varying from 12 minutes to 25 on both 3S and 4S packs.Some things i have noticed:-

1. Flying on 3s 2200 lipo - not recommended in strong winds. The lack of ooomph and weight makes it a bit of a struggle getting up and away in the stronger gusts.. Conversely, in calmer conditions the 3s is absolutely fine and the whole bird flies a lot more 'gently'. Might be tempted by the 'carbon rod' upgrade for calm days, and remove the wing weights..

2. Landing - I've got CROW set up with full flaps and about 70% aileron. This is proving very difficult in that whilst the bird slows down a-plenty it seems very susceptible to dipping one wing or the other in gusts, and i am having great difficulty correcting this. It's a real handful trying to land without touching a wingtip first. So much so, that i find it far easier to land a lot faster using just the flaps. Has anybody any CROW set-up advice relevant to the Diamond? Not sure if i've got too much travel or what??

Weather in britain = . More so than normal. Good luck for the olympics!
eddie currents is offline Find More Posts by eddie currents