HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
Okay I opened the box right at 6m and started putting the 2500 together and was at the flying field doing the maiden flight (including the drive to the field) by 7:30

I did have to sand a little on the wing joiner tabs as the beveled leading edges needed to be cleaned up a little (so little it took longer find the sand paper than to do the work).

This is the best fitting ARF/PNP, easiest to assemble, and fly right out of my hand. That includes the Radian

The only real hitch was the AR8000 rcvr that I started to use. It never did power up. I got a Hong Kong Orange and used the satellite from the AR with no prob.

There was basically no wind and hand launched it at about a 10:00 angle. I knew it would not climb like a Radian but was glad to see that it picked up speed and then was able to go at 45degrees with reasonable speed.

The only disappointment was the effectiveness of the rudder (in stock setup) was non existent and I will be doing tx and linkage adjusting for max throw.

The c/g was 70mm with a 3s2200 and yes I will be moving it back and probably even throw a nail or two in the rear of the fuse.

I will have to wait till the weekend to get out in the thermals and see how well it handles
Terror Dactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terror Dactyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:35 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Hi Terror Dactyl!
Check if yoy have an extra weight just aft the motor under the plywood. 130gram of iron. Remove that and you will move CG backwards, giving more sensitivity. And also two pices, 25g each, in the wings... But she dosent like to roll fast anyway!
I also bought the cheaper one. Motor the same.
Good luck with thermal hunting!
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
21 Posts
Diamond 2500

Art-Tech's web site indicates that a version titled "Art-1" has the 60A esc and the flap servos, but no radio. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where in the USA to buy the "Art-1" version of the Diamond 2500?
siginden is offline Find More Posts by siginden
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siginden View Post
Art-Tech's web site indicates that a version titled "Art-1" has the 60A esc and the flap servos, but no radio. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where in the USA to buy the "Art-1" version of the Diamond 2500?
Banana Hobby. Just deselect the radio.
geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Dactyl View Post
Okay I opened the box right at 6m and started putting the 2500 together and was at the flying field doing the maiden flight (including the drive to the field) by 7:30

I did have to sand a little on the wing joiner tabs as the beveled leading edges needed to be cleaned up a little (so little it took longer find the sand paper than to do the work).

This is the best fitting ARF/PNP, easiest to assemble, and fly right out of my hand. That includes the Radian

The only real hitch was the AR8000 rcvr that I started to use. It never did power up. I got a Hong Kong Orange and used the satellite from the AR with no prob.

There was basically no wind and hand launched it at about a 10:00 angle. I knew it would not climb like a Radian but was glad to see that it picked up speed and then was able to go at 45degrees with reasonable speed.

The only disappointment was the effectiveness of the rudder (in stock setup) was non existent and I will be doing tx and linkage adjusting for max throw.

The c/g was 70mm with a 3s2200 and yes I will be moving it back and probably even throw a nail or two in the rear of the fuse.

I will have to wait till the weekend to get out in the thermals and see how well it handles
I have the BH version and run on 4S and it out climbs my Radian by at least 4:1 and it will do so darn near vertical. I also reworked the throws on the rudder for more rudder athority.
geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:29 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I will be interchanging the 3S and 4S batteries after getting a 60 amp ESC installed.

Today I got conned by one of those politicians in training (TV weatherman) and believed that the wind was down all over the greater Houston area, till I got to the field. The 3-5mph wind was 10-12 with gusts at ground level to 15-17.

I have experienced in the past that if your glider is almost impossible to assemble because of the wind then your should stop and pack it back in the car and go home.

I DID NOT heed my own thought and put it together, grabbed the TX and plugged in the battery on the table in the pits because it would be a lot harder at the flight area.

I walked to the Launch pad area and with the wind in my face and my heart in my throat.

I throttled up to full stick and did a level soft toss and the bird sprang out of my hand and was off at a swift pace and nosed itself up at about 40 degree angle with absolutely no problems until reaching a really good altitude (I need to get a logger as I am poor at guessing altitude in numbers).

I can now agree those who have posted that it doesn't penetrate. I found that with the bird C/Ged at about 70MM and a 3S pack (no built in weights removed) and three clicks of down allowed it to be able to go forward at the rate of speed of a floater on a fairly calm day.

I did also find that either there was turbulence big time or wind direction changes that were fairly strong since the bird would make some large flat turns and to get it back on track was done with ail and rud inputs.

I can report that the D2500 can handle 15+ mph winds and be able to guided around the sky. I feel that with more ballast (possibly a solid metal wing rod) and a 4S pack in the cockpit it might be able to find some thermals or at least maintain while crisscrossing the face of the wind.

I thought that my worries at assembly might be realized when I figured it was time to come down. Right about now the thought of 20/20 hind sight jumped to mind, but all was well and this great bird did a safe, slow, and reasonably soft touch down with only about a 5-8' roll out.

Sorry for the over wordy post but I really like this bird

Y'all take care
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, NC, Camden
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
I'd like to take a moment to honor Horizon Hobby. I recently bought the Diamond 2500A from Nitrohobby and the reciever from an on-line retailer. The aileron output wasn't working on the reciever. I contacted Horizon and they sent me a new one... FREE OF CHARGE!
That is real cusromer service in my opinion.
ChuckWright is offline Find More Posts by ChuckWright
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:57 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
That specifically is why Horizon's products are so often priced well above similar imports. They probably have the best customer support in the industry.
Bugman Jeff is online now Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
222 Posts
The Art Tech Diamond 2500

I have been flying a Parkzone radian and wanted a larger glider to fly. Is the Diamond 2500 RTF worth buying? I plan on using the 2200 set up for power for the engine and ordering an extra battery so I can have more flight times. Also can I get blades for the prop? I dont plan on breaking any but while folded you never know what might happen while inflight or hitting the ground while folded on a rought landing. The included RTF radio with the 2.4 looks good that is sold with the airplane. I have a DX 7 and might want to just add a Spectrum receiver so I dont have another extra transmitter. Is the Art Tech supplied RTF radio system reliable since it is a 2.4 similar to the spectrum or not as good quality? One more question is on how fast do the wings assemble at the field and is the securing system reliable and able to be used over and over again after all the flights? I wouldnt want one of the wings breaking loose while at a high altitude. I was searching online for another glider and would like some information from current Diamond owners on how good the gliders flying characterists are and its reliablility as a electric motorized sailplane. Thanks for any information.

Chris
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFlysRC View Post
I have been flying a Parkzone radian and wanted a larger glider to fly. Is the Diamond 2500 RTF worth buying? I plan on using the 2200 set up for power for the engine and ordering an extra battery so I can have more flight times. Also can I get blades for the prop? I dont plan on breaking any but while folded you never know what might happen while inflight or hitting the ground while folded on a rought landing. The included RTF radio with the 2.4 looks good that is sold with the airplane. I have a DX 7 and might want to just add a Spectrum receiver so I dont have another extra transmitter. Is the Art Tech supplied RTF radio system reliable since it is a 2.4 similar to the spectrum or not as good quality? One more question is on how fast do the wings assemble at the field and is the securing system reliable and able to be used over and over again after all the flights? I wouldnt want one of the wings breaking loose while at a high altitude. I was searching online for another glider and would like some information from current Diamond owners on how good the gliders flying characterists are and its reliablility as a electric motorized sailplane. Thanks for any information.

Chris
I don't mean to be rude. But have you read this entire thread? Or maybe use the search tool "Search this thread"? Most of your questions have already been answered.
allanpro is offline Find More Posts by allanpro
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
222 Posts
Diamond 2500

I read alot of comments on the thread. Id just like some suggestions before purchasing a glider that is more costly than the Radian. Thanks.

Chris
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
Depending what you want to end up with and how fast you want to get there there is only about a $10 difference to start not counting sales tax or shipping charges.

Both being bought as the 3s PNP types. Nitroplanes $169 and Horizon $159.

You can then upgrade at your leisure.

If you to go to the top to start then by all means do the BH and you can use either the 4s or 3s at your own choice
Old May 02, 2012, 10:28 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
I was lucky enough to get off work a little early today and by the time I got to the field and was able to get the 2500 in the air it was around 4:00PM.

The major lift was probably already gone but with a light breeze and reasonably clear sky there was enough lift to be able to maintain and also gain slightly at a fairly high altitude. I am still getting used to the fact that this is not a floater.

I am now convinced that the wing isn't going to be a sloper only.

I will have a better chance this Sat as Weather Underground shows 3mph at 7am to 8mph at 1pm.

BTW today was our first 90 degree day this year in Houston. Guess this is going to be a hot summer, OH WELL
Old May 03, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Art-Tech Diamond 2500 Maiden Flight

So I just maidened the bird. What an awesome plane! Thanks to all contributors in this group for advices, hints and info!

I am fairly new in the game of RC. My first plane was a Hype Cessna Corvalis 350 RFT (remote controller and receiver was included). It's a great trainer. Then I bought a glider like plane... the Bixler from Hobbyking. I also bought the Spektrum DX8.

As my third plane I got the Diamond 2500. Even though the price tag was a little higher I feel it's worth all the money. The handling is great, flight characteristics are great and power plant is incredible. Maybe I have the CG too much in the front as I need to compensate a lot with elevator when turning.

This is a small video of the first flight (watch your ears at 00:18 in the video... I forgot to reduce the volume of the engine):

Art-Tech Diamond 2500 Maiden Flight (2 min 45 sec)

This was the data recorded by the Watt's Up meter:

Electric Data after first flight (0 min 37 sec)
allanpro is offline Find More Posts by allanpro
Old May 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
that looked like a great day and flight!!! you probably already did this after looking at your video, but tighten your left flap clevis either 1/2 turn or a full turn to make the flap in line with the wing & even with the other side.

i use these keychain cams to check in flight control surfaces on all of my models

once again, great flight!!!
Brian
TooSLow2Care is online now Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care