Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Outstanding vid! It's amazing how good a picture that small & inexpensive cam can produce. Are the Radian vids yours as well? If so, how does the 2500 compare to the Radian?
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Outstanding vid! It's amazing how good a picture that small & inexpensive cam can produce. Are the Radian vids yours as well? If so, how does the 2500 compare to the Radian?
I have both the Radian and the 2500, and they are both great planes. The Radian for it's simplicity and the 2500 for its utility.

A better comparison to the 2500 would be the Radian Pro, as they can both be set up the same way with flaps and ailerons for camber, crow, etc., where the Radian is just RET. But, for about the same price, the 2500 is a much larger plane, both in ws (2.5m/2m) and in fuselage/cockpit space for cameras, etc. For the money, the 2500 is the better choice over the RP, IMO.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Yup the radian vids are mine to.Filmed those at our lake cottage. I love the keychain cams (have 3), great video, cheap, small, & very light weight.
I have the original Radian not the Pro version. So the 2500 and original Radian are vastly different sailplanes. The Radian is only a 3 channel setup vs the 5 channel of the 2500. The Radian is super relaxing to fly, very stable, and far more floaty than the 2500. It also flies far slower than the 2500. I love both for very different reasons. If I want a slow relaxin flight I fly the Radian (to me the radian is far easier to thermal, especially on light lift days). If I want performance or the winds are a little heavier, out comes the 2500.
geives1 is online now Find More Posts by geives1
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
I actually like the aluminum spar as is. I've slammed my 2500 nose first into the ground twice. Both times that spar bent(the first time, it bent A LOT). The wing saddle area of the fuse is still in near perfect shape. I think if I had a more ridged spar, the force of those long wings slamming forward would have damaged the wing saddle, or caused the tubes in the wings(the square aluminum tube that runs through the wings) to bend or crease. To me anyway, the bendable aluminum spar is a benefit, not a liability
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
I just wanted to keep wt to a min and was thinking a carbon tube or rod would provide the right amount of rigidity, strength & flex (but not to the point of allowing damage to the wing saddle). Of course there is that point of "no return" of the flex.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
61 Posts
Hi, I've just bought a diamond 1800 glider and will be looking to make my maiden flight tomorrow having never flown before, so slightly nervous . I've been reading up about the lipo batteries and that they should be charged outside, does anyone know how long they take to charge? They are 11.1v 1300mah.

Also how long should I use them for before considering needing a charge again? How do ou judge this?

Lastly I see there are weights in the kit but I've not seen any reference to using them or balancing the plane, any tips/advice?

Thanks in advance
RichIOM is offline Find More Posts by RichIOM
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichIOM View Post
Hi, I've just bought a diamond 1800 glider and will be looking to make my maiden flight tomorrow having never flown before, so slightly nervous . I've been reading up about the lipo batteries and that they should be charged outside, does anyone know how long they take to charge? They are 11.1v 1300mah.

Also how long should I use them for before considering needing a charge again? How do ou judge this?

Lastly I see there are weights in the kit but I've not seen any reference to using them or balancing the plane, any tips/advice?

Thanks in advance
Oh boy, someone get to him before that plane meets a quick end

Hey RichIOM put off your maiden till you get some info. Lots a guys here who can give you good advice.
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
WOWA! Richiom, sounds like your (somewhat) new to rc. PLEASE take Flycracker's advice and hold off on the maiden until you get some basic info on LiPo batteries. They can be VERY DANGEROUS - COULD EXPLODE & CATCH FIRE if you don't know what they're all about.
Start w/ Googling "LiPo Basics" & TAKE THE TIME to read up on them before "puttin the juice" to them. Then go to YouTube & search "LiPo Fires" and you'll quickly see the devastation they can potentially cause if not handled correctly. Don't be shy & ask as many ???'s as you can as we all started where you're at AND learn more each time we read these forums. That's what it's all about. Remember, it's just a hobby. You'll only get out of it what you put into it. Good luck & stick around.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Just go fly...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Feb 2007
61 Posts
Good grief I'm fully aware of Lipo batteries, they're not bombs, quit scaremongering. All I want to know if how long they are to charge with the charger that comes with the kit, it doesn't say and I don't want to be sat around for hours. 30 mins?

How do you judge how long a flight should last?

And what about balancing the plane with these weights?

I'm hoping I'll come across someone more helpful.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Feb 2007
61 Posts
Quote:
WOWA! Richiom, sounds like your (somewhat) new to rc.
Take a look at my forum join date. Then take a look at yours, then tell me if I'm new to r/c.......

All I want is some basic help from people with experience of this particular craft.....
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker View Post
Oh boy, someone get to him before that plane meets a quick end

Hey RichIOM put off your maiden till you get some info. Lots a guys here who can give you good advice.
Do you think that might be why I've asked some questions?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Do you think that might be why I've asked some questions?
Your statement that"I've never flown before" just set off alarm bells. Have you been in RC cars perhaps.
My first charge took about 15 min. That will vary with the amount of juice used in your flight, obviously.

Don,t have that plane, so can't help on the CG.
Have fun and don't over discharge the lipos. Of course you know that.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker View Post
Your statement that"I've never flown before" just set off alarm bells. Have you been in RC cars perhaps.
My first charge took about 15 min. That will vary with the amount of juice used in your flight, obviously.

Don,t have that plane, so can't help on the CG.
Have fun and don't over discharge the lipos. Of course you know that.
Yes I've been racing R/C cars both electric and nitro, plus run nitro bikes.

I bought a nitro plane but never flew it and sold it on, so decided on a powered glider for my first as I thought I'd get more out of it.

So charge time for anyone that's interested took about 2.5hrs running at a charge rate of 0.3a. The battery is a 11.1v 1300mah lipo.

I'm guessing I should get a good 1hr flight time out of this battery because it's not always powered as I'll be mostly gliding and power will only be used to gain height. So I'm going to just have to see how she goes I guess, I'll run some hand throw runs to gauge the balance.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Yes I've been racing R/C cars both electric and nitro, plus run nitro bikes.

I bought a nitro plane but never flew it and sold it on, so decided on a powered glider for my first as I thought I'd get more out of it.

So charge time for anyone that's interested took about 2.5hrs running at a charge rate of 0.3a. The battery is a 11.1v 1300mah lipo.

I'm guessing I should get a good 1hr flight time out of this battery because it's not always powered as I'll be mostly gliding and power will only be used to gain height. So I'm going to just have to see how she goes I guess, I'll run some hand throw runs to gauge the balance.
The charger that came with Radian charges at a recommended 1.3 amps. I thought yours might be similar. 0.3 is mighty slow.

CG probably just behind the main wing spar. Place to start anyway.

Maybe you will let us know how it goes. We can always learn from others experience.
Rich