HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:43 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,678 Posts
Successful Maiden

I finally flew the maiden of my Diamond 2500 from Banana Hobby and this plane is too much fun! Performance is outstanding for a 98" wingspan glider. The thrust from the stock set up is perfect. It climbed like a home sick angel. The flaps give you incredibly slow approaches. My daughter took the sticks and it's now her favorite plane. We got 20 minutes powered flight out of the stock 14.8V 20C 2500mAh battery. I highly recommend this amazing powered glider. Can't wait for the next flight!

turbobruce - Thanks for all the feedback!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2004
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
I finally flew the maiden of my Diamond 2500 from Banana Hobby and this plane is too much fun! Performance is outstanding for a 98" wingspan glider. The thrust from the stock set up is perfect. It climbed like a home sick angel. The flaps give you incredibly slow approaches. My daughter took the sticks and it's now her favorite plane. We got 20 minutes powered flight out of the stock 14.8V 20C 2500mAh battery. I highly recommend this amazing powered glider. Can't wait for the next flight!

turbobruce - Thanks for all the feedback!

Best,
Tony
Any time Tony!

I have been on vacation flying my 2500 in Colorado and it has been a blast! I will try to fly it tomorrow in the Rocky Mountian National forest at 12000 feet. I scoped it out this week and it should be amazing. When I get home I plan on figuring out how to setup the flaps as ailerons so I can get the plane to roll better. I had this setup years ago on an ultra stick and loved it. I lost my cap 9c radio manual and I'm not sure how to program it again.
turbobruce is offline Find More Posts by turbobruce
Last edited by turbobruce; Jul 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
ESC do not stop the prop.spinning

Hello everyone. First time for me on RC Groups.
1. I have bought a Diamond 2500 here in Sweden. 3cell version without flaps servo. 40A ESC. But original ESC does not turn off the propeller spinning! I had to switch to another one! Anyone else with same problem?
2. I have also measured current. 3cell lipo 22A. 4 cell 40A. Flying now with 4 cell. Amizing thrust! As many says, a nice slowflyer. But I do not like that it do not penetrate so well. Not nice to fly in windy conditions...
3. Center of gravity. Documentation states 83mm behind. original aitplane was with extra weight 130g mounted under flont plywood. When I removed weight and 3 cell acc. CG was exact on 83mm. Flying well. With 4cell (and no extra load) CG is approx 70mm.
Opsh that was to mush said in my first reply... Thanks guys!
/BG Bengtsson, Sweden
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:28 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2001
118 Posts
Getting the COG right

My diamond 2500 is sitting on the centre of gravity balancer set to 83mm, and just won't balance there without pushing the 4cell LiPo it came with into the slot out the back of the cockpit.

The kit is as standard but with the reciever replaced with a spektrum 2.4Ghz to match my prefered TX.

Any ideas what might be wrong ?
mitchellj is offline Find More Posts by mitchellj
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:43 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellj View Post
My diamond 2500 is sitting on the centre of gravity balancer set to 83mm, and just won't balance there without pushing the 4cell LiPo it came with into the slot out the back of the cockpit.

The kit is as standard but with the reciever replaced with a spektrum 2.4Ghz to match my prefered TX.

Any ideas what might be wrong ?
Mitchellj- I fly mine with a 4 cell 3200 mAh pack, with the battery in the center of the cockpit with no problems. As a matter of fact, even with this heavier battery, the diamond climbs like a homesick angel. If anything you want the battery forward, not in the back of the cockpit, especially when using flaps for landing. The nose wants to pitch up.

Good luck,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2010, 08:44 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
This plane looks very interesting for the dollars. I've got between now and Christmas bonus to decide what I want to do........

You would probably want to set your cg based on the type of flying you're doing. Most planes will tend to pitch up with deployment of flaps. You just feed in some elev trim (or hold down stick) as needed (if you have mix capability, mix elev with flaps and it's trimmed for landing automatically).

I'm looking forward to hear more reports, particularly regarding thermaling. My reason for the interest in a full house glider is to get the camber adjusting benefits. Plus setting up crow to get out of those monster thermals

Cloudy today but got to fly the last two days so will give the 2m a rest and work on the 100" Big Bird (RES) that I've got on the hobby table.

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:31 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2001
118 Posts
COG tolerance & Landing wheel glue

I got a first flight in today, and with the LiPo about 1cm from the back of the cockpit which gives my a COG 75mm from the leading edge.

The flight went very well, despite me being very nervous. It needed some up elevator held in, but is stable and well powered.

Conclusion #1 - don't worry to much if you COG is a centimetre or so in-front of the recommended 83.6mm; this model is not sensitive that way.

But after a nice and smooth but fast landing, I ran out of patch into some longer grass and just before stopping turned sideways - not a problem normally, but on this time the landing wheel came out ! Inspection showed the landing wheel had not been properly glued (at manufacture).

Conclusion #2 - check the glueing on the landing wheel, (the QEFI review mentioned problems around here as well).

N.B. a 2nd flight without the landing wheel, and with quite a few click of elevator up trim went very well.

In summary a nice model - next time I must try flaps etc.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:17 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Warning: Plastic gears in servo!

I suddenly two weeks ago lost right wing aileron servo.
Changed to metal gear servo in wings.
Two days ago lost rudder servo at a little hard landing!
What will happen if I lose elevator servo in the air...
Conclusion: If I want the plane not to crash, switch all servos to metal gear, ball bearing...

Regarding COG, I agree about low sensitivity. 60-85mm ok. 60mm needs a little more trim. But for thermo: use 3cell. 150g less weight is good. And COG at 83mm makes soaring easier, I think.
Flying at low speed with motor on makes it very easy to find thermic.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
Southampton, England
Joined Feb 2009
10 Posts
Great Plane to fly.

Hi, My first time on RC Groups as well.

I've been flying the Diamond for a couple of months now
and find it's a great plane to fly. I originally thought it
would be more difficult to fly than my Easy Glider Pro which
I've been flying for a year or so now (having written off one already so I'm still a bit of a nervous flier).

The Diamond is easier and more stable to fly and climbs as fast as my
Easy Glider (which has the tuning motor). A friend and I had them both up
in the same thermal last week which was fun.

It seems that the wheel is common problem. Mine fell out after a couple of landings and someone else at my club had a wheel fall out at take-off. (Looked like a bouncing bomb going down the patch.

I hopefully have attached a picture of both gliders.
Soapsud is offline Find More Posts by Soapsud
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups.

Glad to hear you like the plane. I looking at it for a possible purchase later this year.

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:28 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
Did anyone try with a 11.1 volts ?
It is possible to climb with this low voltage?
yogurt is offline Find More Posts by yogurt
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:55 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2001
118 Posts
I tried the flaps on Sunday, with the supplied flap slower widget attached to the switched U/C channel. Results where -
  • At cruising speed, the nose up was very noticeable, but despite reaching 45 or more, it recovered OK.
  • Repeating with some down held in from the start cured the nose up.
My confidence wasn't up to testing this when flying low enough to check the effect on speed, but it can't harm.

Next time I will have a switched TX mixer to put some down elevator in when the flaps are deployed
Also I need to see if the TX will do the slowing itself so the elevator will mix in "down" at the same speed as the flaps deploy; and the flap slowing widget can be removed.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:41 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
No problems with three lipo cells. That is actually more normal power for a glider. Everybody overpower today! With 3cells you will have 300W power. With 4cells 600-700W! Art-Tech sells the glider in a cheaper version with 3 cells acc, 40A and no flaps servo. That is what I bought. But the 40A ESC doesn’t work...
/BG
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:49 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Diamond 2500 video

I made a video from the flying with my grandchildren. Never put a half full (half empty) acc in to the airplane when showing and filming! My ESC does not warn. And 12V cut off is too low!
Diamond 2500 (7 min 15 sec)
Last edited by BG Bengtsson; Aug 20, 2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:41 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Nice video, BG! It sure gives a good impression of the flying characteristics of the bird.....
I understand that there may not nave been a lot of thermalling out there?
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl