HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2009
80 Posts
I am just starting out, too, although I flew RC planes in their infantcy 50 years ago as a kid. I also own a real Cessna.

I have two powered gliders - a Radian and a DA 2500. Unless you are a quick study, I think the DA 2500 might be a little much for you to start with. I am beginning to fly my Radian now and plan to "work up" to flying the DA 2500. It's a lot heavier and faster than the Radian, whereas the Radian has only rudder, elevator, and throttle to worry about.

Ultimately you will be able to do more stuff with the DA 2500, but you have ailerons and flaps to contend with - a lot of controls for a beginner.

Jets CAN land and take off from grass (if it's short enough to allow them to attain takeoff velocity).

Since you have the LAKE, why not take a look at AMPHIBIANS or a Cessna 172 or 182 model with FLOATS!

Enjoy!
wa6rxm is offline Find More Posts by wa6rxm
Last edited by wa6rxm; Jun 06, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2010, 04:16 PM
Joined Jun 2010
4 Posts
Thanks for your advice! i think this seems like a really fun hobby. The amount of information though is a bit overwhelming there is so much info on this forum..itīs just amazing
markycool is offline Find More Posts by markycool
Old Jun 07, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markycool View Post
Thanks for your advice! i think this seems like a really fun hobby. The amount of information though is a bit overwhelming there is so much info on this forum..itīs just amazing
The best option when learning to fly is to find someone who's experienced who's got a buddy box but If you're learning solo...I strongly suggest getting used to flying on a simulator on your computer first. Then when you're proficient with that buy a "two-channel" electric floater like the Radian. Although the intermediate and advanced class planes look real cool, once you're in the air you and your wallet will appreciate the simplicity beginner models offer.
Keep in mind....you will be literally throwing your investment to the wind so try to take small steps first. Get informed, get proficient and take your time.
Aientonni is offline Find More Posts by Aientonni
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
Thermaling?

Ok guys,

Well I bought a Super Easy Fly from BH, and actually quite happy with it. That is, UNTIL I broke a prop. Not standard to anything I can find, and even though it still shows as "In Stock" @ BH, it ain't. I ordered one, along with a spinner and a servo and though all was well. WRONG!! Later got a note (and a credit) stating that they didn't have the props in stock, with no info on when they expected them .

Ok, enough of the venting. Still don't hate BH, just a bit disappointed.

So, I'm going to order a Diamond 2500 from them today, but no one has mentioned how this beast thermals!! Sure, it's a hot rod and loops and rolls with relative ease, but, can it soar??

Thanks guys...
DDallaire is offline Find More Posts by DDallaire
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2010
15 Posts
It flies very well...Nice feature and the EPO material is strong enough... Great!
blackhearted is offline Find More Posts by blackhearted
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:52 AM
United Kingdom, Bozeat
Joined Jan 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDallaire View Post
Ok guys,

Well I bought a Super Easy Fly from BH, and actually quite happy with it. That is, UNTIL I broke a prop. Not standard to anything I can find, and even though it still shows as "In Stock" @ BH, it ain't. I ordered one, along with a spinner and a servo and though all was well. WRONG!! Later got a note (and a credit) stating that they didn't have the props in stock, with no info on when they expected them .

Ok, enough of the venting. Still don't hate BH, just a bit disappointed.

So, I'm going to order a Diamond 2500 from them today, but no one has mentioned how this beast thermals!! Sure, it's a hot rod and loops and rolls with relative ease, but, can it soar??

Thanks guys...
It thermals OK -

2nd flight with mine in Feb - see log !
Martin Bell is online now Find More Posts by Martin Bell
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
Thermaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bell View Post
It thermals OK -

2nd flight with mine in Feb - see log !
Great. Mine IS on order and shipped. Should be here this coming Friday, so, perhaps ready to go on Sunday.

Also recently bought a Turnigy video camera (quite small). Might have to mount it to the 2500 .

Thanks for the response!
DDallaire is offline Find More Posts by DDallaire
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:51 PM
San Diego, CA/Ames, IA
Joined Jul 2008
82 Posts
Hey guys, Iv'e been reading this thread for the past week and decided to pick up a Diamond 2500 for myself. It Arrived in 2 days after ordering from BH. I assembled it this evening after work and took her out for the maiden. The first launch I rolled nose first into the ground from 20 feet high after too steep of a throw. I expected the worst, but the glider wasn't damaged at all! The second launch went great and after putting her through her paces with rolls and loops I went to lazily gliding around with the power off for a good 10 minutes or so riding on thermals. In summary, a great plane for the money!
GLieberman1989 is offline Find More Posts by GLieberman1989
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
90 Posts
re removing decals since the foam is EPO you can spray with Tamiya TS paint

I am wondering if you think this would cover the decals on the wings which are said earlier in this thread difficult to remove

Mike
mikesan is offline Find More Posts by mikesan
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2004
35 Posts
I flew my diamond 2500 today for the first time. I must say that this plane flies awesome! It is a big plane and it feels heavy but it floats in the air. I even found a thermal and kept it up for a while. On my second flight I went verticle from the hand launch all the way to about 300 feet.

The finish is not perfect by any means but it more then makes up for it in the air. It is a little sluggesh on the control surfaces but it has great climbout from a hand launch. I cannot wait for Colorado next week to fly it in the mountians. My only regret is buying the radio that came with the plane. The radio is crap so I ended up using my Futaba 9c and another receiver. I'm very happy with this purchase from Banana Hobby.
turbobruce is offline Find More Posts by turbobruce
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:18 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,887 Posts
Just put my Diamond 2500 together last night and hoping for a maiden this week. I plan on using the stock radio initially. The only issue was adjusting the flap linkages during initially checkout. After running up the motor, I was very impressed with the power. Looking forward to getting her in the air!

What's the landing speed like with flaps?

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2004
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Just put my Diamond 2500 together last night and hoping for a maiden this week. I plan on using the stock radio initially. The only issue was adjusting the flap linkages during initially checkout. After running up the motor, I was very impressed with the power. Looking forward to getting her in the air!

What's the landing speed like with flaps?

Regards,
Tony
It crawls! All three of my landings were like a butterfly with soar feet.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:30 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobruce View Post
It crawls! All three of my landings were like a butterfly with soar feet.
Great! Were you strictly gliding or did you need a little power on final? Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2004
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Great! Were you strictly gliding or did you need a little power on final? Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
Tony
No power was needed on approach.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:21 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,887 Posts
Thanks Bruce!

All the best,
Tony