HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:50 AM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
D2500 maiden

Maiden flight today. It was late in the day, and I wrestled with putting the wings on for a while, but the plane flys well. Nice and stable relaxing flight. I put a GoPro HD on the wing and cut her loose and the flight went well except for visibility because it was so late. Please excuse my NASCAR (turn left!) style for this first flight. I was being conservative and kept it basic.
2.5 Meter RC glider maiden flight over Arvada Colorado 8/7/2011 GoPro HD (10 min 33 sec)
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Last edited by MonsterBFC; Aug 08, 2011 at 04:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:49 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
Nice video, what altitude do you think you got to? I see you also get a "car wash" as you land, I fly off of a Polo field and they turn them on and off "as required" !!
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Nice video, what altitude do you think you got to? I see you also get a "car wash" as you land, I fly off of a Polo field and they turn them on and off "as required" !!
You know, I really don't have any idea what my highest altitude was. I'd like someone to chime in and guess. My eyesight ain't so great these days and all I could make out with the lighting conditions was the outline of the plane. The wife said that I "sure am high", but she could have been talking about the beers I was drinking all day. (she drove, I flew)
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:21 PM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
It seems as though you were "on power" for most of the river video and certainly a lot of the time on the lake video which means that you could have done this with a normal sport/pattern ship?
I bet it would be possible to fly this with a normal sport/pattern ship. It would be interesting to see if there is a plane this well suited and not overly expensive. The large wing span and folding prop setup is really the ticket for me. Despite not using the Diamond like a true glider w/ camera, the folding prop design is really handy when doing high altitude flights and then gliding down at high speeds, off-power.

Quote:
Would love to see some high altitude video with your setup?
I don't have a lot of interesting high altitude video yet but I will be sure to post anything that is worth a look in the future.
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Aug 09, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Quote:
BG, find the thread for "Electraglide RTF v. Radian RTF" and go to Post #6. It will show you the Radian hovering but I bet that its power/weight ratio is a lot better than the 2500! Actually if you plot the aileron area as a % of wing area it is close to many 3D models.
Thats why I wants the D2500 hanging around too...
With a fully charged 4S...

I did look again. He has the acc outside to move the CoG backwards!
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Last edited by BG Bengtsson; Aug 10, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
GliderPilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
OMG, I see one of these in the near future. What a plane.
rickhensley is offline Find More Posts by rickhensley
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Semi-customer service from Bananna Hobby

Well, I did all the things their web site asked including emailing a photo (a PHOTO? REALLY?) of the defective ESC to their address and.....nothing. I emailed it again.....nothing. I waited another day and called them. I spent 45 minutes on the phone on hold multiple times answering questions like "is the battery charged?" and I finally asked "Are you going to give me an RMA, or not?" The girl said they were sending me a replacement in 4 or 5 days, and I wouldn't have to send in the defective ESC. Nice, but it's a good thing I just happend to have $100 laying around I had no use for to buy a Castle Creations 75A ESC, or I'd still be waiting to fly this plane for the first time. I have yet to answer the questions of if I could ever trust putting one of their ESC's in one of my birds, and if I ever want to do business with them again.
Last edited by MonsterBFC; Aug 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
MonsterBFC, welcome to the loss of the LHS, I have been lucky I guess because all of my dealings with BH have been positive even back a couple of years when Pete was being crucified in these threads.

I try not to procure any model with pre installed electronics if I can help it but if I have to I will have done the sums and am prepared to write off the cheap electronics.

Being retired I can build from scratch again and have a pretty good inventory of servos, Rx, motors, ESC, linkages etc. I feel for those who buy based on the marketing hype or do not have a history of modelling when you could buy a great US produced model from the LHS, fit it out with US product from the LHS AND have product/tech support from the same LHS ---- I am lucky, still have TWO good old time LHS --- Noells in Wildwood and Graves in Orlando.

I like the 2500 airframe, seems ok for what it is but one always wonders how much R&D goes into some of these designs before marketing?. Surely the mold costs alone would force any manufacturer to get it right before release? Unless the market is large enough that profit can be made by selling to everyone only once and never needing repeat customers!!??

BG -- wherever he has the cg it certainly seems very flyable in normal flight mode, still haven't been able to get out to try it with the 2500.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
MonsterBFC, welcome to the loss of the LHS, I have been lucky I guess because all of my dealings with BH have been positive even back a couple of years when Pete was being crucified in these threads. Oh I knew from the beginning that I was taking a chance dealing with BH. I did get the plane in one piece from them, and with some mods, it's not a bad plane at all.

I try not to procure any model with pre installed electronics if I can help it but if I have to I will have done the sums and am prepared to write off the cheap electronics. I also figured the electronics would be absolute junk, but if I paid for it, I expect it to at least work. If I could have, I would have bought it ARF, but they don't sell it that way.

Being retired I can build from scratch again and have a pretty good inventory of servos, Rx, motors, ESC, linkages etc. I feel for those who buy based on the marketing hype or do not have a history of modelling when you could buy a great US produced model from the LHS, fit it out with US product from the LHS AND have product/tech support from the same LHS ---- I am lucky, still have TWO good old time LHS --- Noells in Wildwood and Graves in Orlando.Oh If I was a RC know-it-all retired flag waver with nothing but time and money on my hands to feel for those who aren't as smart as me, and look for US made servos, TX, RX and airplanes, that would be just fine. But the fact is any LHS within driving distance is selling the same marked-up cheap garbage from China everyone else online is. This plane fit my bill of large wingspan, high payload potential, and low price. If a LHS sold the same plane, I don't think i'd buy it from them anyway. I can save money online, I like to avoid taxes whenever possible, and nobody in any LHS could help me with anything aside from relieving me of some devalued already taxed cash. BTW, I'm not one to fall for hype from anywhere about a product. Advertising tends to have an opposite effect on me, and what other people say about a product does little to effect my final decision..

I like the 2500 airframe, seems ok for what it is but one always wonders how much R&D goes into some of these designs before marketing?. Surely the mold costs alone would force any manufacturer to get it right before release? Unless the market is large enough that profit can be made by selling to everyone only once and never needing repeat customers!!??I too like the airframe and it flys nice after fixing some of the weak spots. It's a good stable platform for AP, and possibly FPV. My son is going to try it. He should do well

BG -- wherever he has the cg it certainly seems very flyable in normal flight mode, still haven't been able to get out to try it with the 2500.
So far 6 very relaxing, long flights. Slow stalls and fair glide. A decent airplane for what you pay. My mods: Re-glued the wood pieces on the ends of the wing where the pins go through the fuse. Re-glued the top of the rudder seams where the stabilizer mounts. Taped under the wing tips and the belly of the fuse for landing scrapes. Added a hole in the hatch for better cooling. Used small o-rings as safes on the clevis locks. CC 75 ESC, Hyperion 2200 4s, AR7010 RX, TM1100 telemetry, DX8 TX
Last edited by MonsterBFC; Aug 14, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
95 Posts
Hey guys, been reading this thread for a few days and got allot of tricks and tips.

But i got a question about the butterfly brakes BG;

Is it possible to get this thing working with the 6 chan transmitter and reciver that came along with the plane? E-fly ETC61 is the transmitter.

here is a link: http://europemodels.eu/p_3064_E-FLY+...+2.4GHz,+bulk/
MaGuNs is offline Find More Posts by MaGuNs
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:35 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,431 Posts
Had four flights today in 15 knot winds/thermals. Longest about 32 minutes and 900ft max altitude (as high as I can see without binocs). The faux graphite canopy gets very hot in our 95 degree sun so definitely need some additional cooling vents though not sure what cooling we get from 95 degree air even with a little altitude!! The packs are ok but the esc (stock) gets quite warm! B.G. --- No could not get it to hover!! Have flaps/elevator dialed in and is now very easy to hit the spot. Have a sense that it thermals better with 10 degree of flap -- anyone confirm this? Have 40 degree flap for landing control and it is very stable in the approach in this configuration.
Also changed wing servo plugs to combine them on 4-pin mini Deans so only have to plug in one each side -- easier and safer I think.

Still maintain that a cleaner wing (less tape and covered hinge gaps) and sharp t.e. would make this a real soarer.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:46 AM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
188 Posts
Yup, I have found it thermals much better with a little flap (I use camber w/20% flap & have good success).

Quote:
Had four flights today in 15 knot winds/thermals. Longest about 32 minutes and 900ft max altitude (as high as I can see without binocs). The faux graphite canopy gets very hot in our 95 degree sun so definitely need some additional cooling vents though not sure what cooling we get from 95 degree air even with a little altitude!! The packs are ok but the esc (stock) gets quite warm! B.G. --- No could not get it to hover!! Have flaps/elevator dialed in and is now very easy to hit the spot. Have a sense that it thermals better with 10 degree of flap -- anyone confirm this? Have 40 degree flap for landing control and it is very stable in the approach in this configuration.
Also changed wing servo plugs to combine them on 4-pin mini Deans so only have to plug in one each side -- easier and safer I think.

Still maintain that a cleaner wing (less tape and covered hinge gaps) and sharp t.e. would make this a real soarer.
geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:26 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaGuNs View Post
Hey guys, been reading this thread for a few days and got allot of tricks and tips.

But i got a question about the butterfly brakes BG;

Is it possible to get this thing working with the 6 chan transmitter and reciver that came along with the plane? E-fly ETC61 is the transmitter.

here is a link: http://europemodels.eu/p_3064_E-FLY+...+2.4GHz,+bulk/
Hi MaGuNs! And welcome to this thread!
To have butterfly you need to separate the control of aileron left and right to two separate channels. In my Futaba T6EX there is an flaperon mode. That means that you use the ailerons as flaps also. After lots of thinking and reading here around, I figured out how to do. See earlier posts or below.

I can not understand from the link if the ETC61 is programmable to flaperon mode?

And then you need to do as I have done:

I have:
ch1 Aileron Right
ch2 Elevator
ch3 Motor
ch4 Rudder
ch5 Flaps
ch6 Aileron Left

Ch5 is normally gear in/out. This will be flaps in/out. Then a mixer will push ch5 on to aileron (in the flaperon mode to ch6. But then the mixer is possible to turn on off. The mixer On is conected to ch5 switch on. This is a very good advantage because then the flaps position in neutral does not mix to aileron! I can then adjust the flaps neutral position separately.

I have very much brake! Maybe -80degrees on flaps and +30 degrees on aileron! It is really brake to stop. Maybe too much. I am training now on approaching with motor on and flaps on to really control steep and exact spot landing.

Additional to this I have two mixers. The first mixer is used to compensate elevator.
PMX1:
Master CH5 Slave CH2
Switch On: CH5
ON: +23%
PMX2:
Master CH5 Slave CH6
Switch On: CH5
ON: +60%
End Point Adjustment Ch5 Up 62% Dn 37% (scale 0-100%)

Then I can use the Flaperon mode to thermal function as mentioned now in the last posts, for better thermalling. But I have not tested to use the flaps also down a little for even better thermalling! Has to be tested.

killickb: Did you move the CoG when trying hovering?! I have not calculated but my guess is at least back to -130mm or so!
Anyone haveing a link to useful posts for calculation of "Center of Pressure" or what it is called in english?

BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:08 AM
I love to be above the clouds
Joined Aug 2011
326 Posts
which typ or make of Electric motor will keep my glider up the longest when I have no lift ? I want my battery to last as long as I can make it last.
KellyFPVER is offline Find More Posts by KellyFPVER
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
95 Posts
thanks BG!

ill try to make some sense out of that since im new to RC flyers.

I have 10 take offs and landing under my belt, and after i saw that butterfly brake video u posted i fell in love, as i got a 100 meter landing spot and it barely lands at the end. i got the flaps working, but not the 30% ailerons. got a swith that makes one aileron go down and the other up, and cant figure how to get them both upwards :/

and i dont know if the transmitter is programable or not, but it had the flaps on originally.

oh, and btw, i got 2 tiny mixers on the transmitter aswell.

got any more ideas on how to get this thing to work like yours?
MaGuNs is offline Find More Posts by MaGuNs
Last edited by MaGuNs; Aug 18, 2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: more info