Any parts available from a USA source?
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2001
117 Posts
Not USA, but they ship anywhere :-
Wing spar - There is 12mm carbon fibre available from Hobby King as SKU CF15 - this is a very good fit diameter wise, but is only 750mm long where a direct replacement would be 830mm.
Prop blades - There are suitable spare props available from Giant Cod as "14x8 Folding Propeller blades (pair) 8mm Root" - these are probably available elsewhere but thats where mine came from - simple drop in replacement.

Don't ask how I could break a folding prop without powering up
mitchellj is online now Find More Posts by mitchellj
Last edited by mitchellj; May 10, 2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Clarify UK not USA
Old May 10, 2011, 02:36 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Are parts available for this bird? If so from where?
Yes, bananna hobby in California has parts for the Diamond 2500.

http://www.bananahobby.com/
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Old May 11, 2011, 06:39 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellj View Post
Not USA, but they ship anywhere :-
Wing spar - There is 12mm carbon fibre available from Hobby King as SKU CF15 - this is a very good fit diameter wise, but is only 750mm long where a direct replacement would be 830mm.
Prop blades - There are suitable spare props available from Giant Cod as "14x8 Folding Propeller blades (pair) 8mm Root" - these are probably available elsewhere but thats where mine came from - simple drop in replacement.

Don't ask how I could break a folding prop without powering up
Hi do you think the 12mm tube is up to the job ( have you tried it) as it is only 1mm wall thickness.( I have been looking for a rod)
One of the reviews said their 10mm cf tube slides inside.....glue one inside the other?

Where in the uk are you?

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old May 11, 2011, 09:51 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
Hi UP, ....as posted previously, i found that inserting a cabon fiber tube inside the stock aluminum spar tube, works very well for stiffening-up the wings. Although i first experimented with a CF arrow shaft, i later upgraded to a CF tube from CST that fit the entire length.
Hi BG and PAV, i'm back home in Oregon and it looks like we've picked up some new RC sailplane pilots and a new meadow to fly in....i'll be posting some new fotos soon
i've found this spar set-up acceptable, doing outside loops w/o incident
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old May 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Hi Phil!
Here in Sweden I have had too much to do in my job. Still not airborn this year.
Fasten your battery tight if you do ouside loops!!! Are your two Diamonds still flying?

Nice to see a liitle more activity in this thread lately. Seems to be "refreshing" work coming up.

I thought I should have had time this winter to analyze my loggings from last year to make som nice speed-drag diagram. But my hard drive broke down on my computer and all was lost! Will do some new loggings this year.

I would like to see someone doing advanced flying¨, like hoovering. The motor with 4S givs more drag that the weight. Someone would dare to move CG far back and try? I think CG -120mm or so would do. Anyone who knows how to calculate?

/BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old May 12, 2011, 06:51 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Hi UP, ....as posted previously, i found that inserting a cabon fiber tube inside the stock aluminum spar tube, works very well for stiffening-up the wings. Although i first experimented with a CF arrow shaft, i later upgraded to a CF tube from CST that fit the entire length.
Hi Phil Thanks for that I am trying to lose some weight,but enough about me, being the motive for swopping out the ali spa completly.
Excuse my inorance but who is "CST" have you a link

On another note I am finding her a little sluggish when rolling even with a rudder mix.. any pointers please

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old May 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
http://www.cstsales.com/
Hey Diamond pilots, i hope this CST link helps you out....although this seems like a heavy glider, once in the air she feels like a ballerina. i think the Diamond has a pretty good flight envelope, and is surprisingly aerobatic, and of course, with a 99inch wingspan, rolls are not jet-like.
Hi BG, i still have the two Diamonds, and have replaced a couple servos. and found some replacement folding props, and as i have found our Diamond can fly successfully with just about any size 4cell lipo. she seems to really shine on a good 2200.
...if anyone has a good repacement "SCORPION" motor, i'd like to know which one.
...wishing everyone strong launches, long flights, and safe landings
......and i hope to post some fotos of our new glider field soon!
Old May 20, 2011, 06:03 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
MEL'S MEADOW in LaPine Oregon

Hi BG, PAV, and all Diamond pilots....we have been flying in a new meadow, and for the last few days have been catching boomin' thermals that are taking us to a speck in the sky....we are soaing for about an hour, then try to bring them down to recharge our batteries, usually getting in about 3hours of flight time each day.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:33 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Hi Phil, and all
I have not been in the air in 6month and you are soaring 3hours a day! I am 61 years but seems to lack time... Nice to see you guys in "action"!
So you fly a Radian too? Are the Diamond an unfair advantage?
yours BG
Old May 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
705 Posts
Hi BG, you need to find the time to smell the roses ( when the snow melts!)...For alot of our newer pilots, the Radian keeps them in the air very easily...it's lite weight takes it skyward in any type of light lift, and it flys itself very slowly, a big plus for novice pilots. For me, i describe it as almost wallowing in the air, with not much penetration, but for a group of guys sitting around drinking coffee and telling stories, the Radian is a good choice as it doesn't demand alot of attention or skill to have some long soaring flights....on the other hand, while my Diamond usually reaches the highest altitude and longest flight of the group, she can also fly the full length of the meadow very quickly, then turn around and fly back inverted, do an outside loop into a hamerhead stall turn, then roll a couple times on the way down, turn her nose skyward and almost disapear in seconds....yes BG, the Diamond is a great sailplane!
Old May 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
Well i took delivery of the 2500's little bro,the Diamond 1800,i cant see a thread for it here so would it be ok if i tagged on along with you big boys here?,my first impressions of the box contents were very good,lovely glossy finish mouldings and a real nice rigid feeling overall when its put together,my receiver should be here tomorrow morning and i think the 100mph winds have moved on now so i hope to get her flying tomorrow,very much looking forward to it.

Cheers
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old May 27, 2011, 12:22 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
217 Posts
Good luck with the first flight, Love to know how it goes, we have had gale force winds down here on the Isle of Wight as well.

Chris
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old May 27, 2011, 04:00 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Until you decide to start a new thread around little sister we long for reports here!
Welcome!
/BG
Old May 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Flying from a moving boat

This airplane has been very good to me - approaching two years now.

Here is a video with me flying the 2500 over a lake while my dad drove the boat!

I launched it in the middle of the lake and since this bird is not amphibious it was mandatory to set her down on solid land. The only place that was free of trees was the boat landing at the very end of the lake.

The good news is that the video has a happy ending! Enjoy.

RC Airplane flown from Boat - Beautiful Lake View - Onboard HD GoPro Hero Camera (6 min 54 sec)
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; May 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM.