Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Some answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Hello all,
I've been skimming through these pages and the Diamond 2500 looks like a great glider.... I have several questions
Please be nice to me

1. I plan on using 4s 4000mah Lipo

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11928

What is the flightimes you are getting with similiar battery?

BG: Easily one hour. You need absolute minimum 50-60W to keep flying. 4Ah*14.8V=58Wh so maybe not easily, but anyway...!

I plan on flying heavy because its windy where I live
and I plan on putting my digital camera on it (8 oz).
So with the 4s-4000mah Lipo and my camera (8 oz),
it will be heavy.....
BG: No problem You can load a lot!

2. is this a Limited Motor Run "LMR" glider?
What I mean by that is, do you guys keep full throttle "WOT"
only for 30sec, then glide around, to let electronics cool off?
....and thermal around....
BG: You can fly as you wish! No problems to fly tuff the whole "tank". But shorter fly time...

3. with the 4s-4000mah Lipo that I want to use,
if I go all out "WOT", what is the average flight times?

(I know it would help if we get the amps of the Stock
power setup that comes with the Diamond 2500
to determind average flight times) BG: See above.

4. how much Watts is the stock power system?
....ie ~500watts with the 4s Lipos we use?BG: 600-700W maximum at steep climbing.

5. Banana Hobby ~$240 with Flaps
NitroPlanes ~~200 w/o /Flaps

Do these planes have the Same Motor? BG: Probably. I have a reduced model without flaps with standard motor.

What I plan to do with this plane is fly around a bit with
motor constantly "ON"..... there are no thermals where
I live b/c its very cold outside.....

I hope it can fly with Motor constantly "ON" for longer than 25minutes.?????
I know I'm not going "WOT" all the time, but the motor will be "ON"
a lot.

can someone post a Video (not onboard camera) with the
Diamond 2500 flying around "WOT".....
BG: I do not know "WOT" it means but on my first video just before loosing all power you can see low power flying.
Good luck!
Here in Sweden the sun starts to heat a little more now. Maybe time to charge...
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Last edited by BG Bengtsson; Mar 06, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:27 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
"WOT"
Wide Open Throttle
.....100% throttle ....

:-)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:31 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Ok! So I thought it was the opposite! Well you can see WOT at all the start in the "landing with flaps video".
/BG
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:06 PM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
Nice Plane

Just flew one of these for the first time yesterday....amazing plane for the money. Lots of power and thermals well once it is up in the air. Seems like it is a well built plane....may have to think about enlarging the foamie hangar and making room for another member of the fleet.

Bill P.
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP52 View Post
Just flew one of these for the first time yesterday....amazing plane for the money. Lots of power and thermals well once it is up in the air. Seems like it is a well built plane....may have to think about enlarging the foamie hangar and making room for another member of the fleet.

Bill P.

Where did you set the COG? What throws do you have on the control surfaces? I just received mine today and the instructions don't say what the control movements are and the 83 mm COG seems to be too far back in my way of thinking. Someone else said it should be on the main spar. Your help in setting up this plane for a successful flight will be greatly appreciated.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
Hi Terry

Sorry but I could not tell you what any of the throws were or where the CG was. It was not my plane - I just took it for a spin around the flying field.

The one thing I did notice was that all the wing servo arms were sticking straight up from the wing. Normally on my planes I have the flap servo arms pointing towards the trailing edge when the flaps are up and have the aileron servo arms pointing more towards the leading edge to put in some mechanical differential on the servos, which I feel it needs. I was using rudder and ailerons for thermal turns and that worked well, but a little mixing would lesson the workload.

Sorry I could not be of more help, but if Brian will let me fly his new toy again, I will see if I can give you anymore information.

Bill P.
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:10 AM
Jersey Channel Isles
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Hello all,
I've been skimming through these pages and the Diamond 2500 looks like a great glider.... I have several questions
Please be nice to me

1. I plan on using 4s 4000mah Lipo

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11928

What is the flightimes you are getting with similiar battery?

I plan on flying heavy because its windy where I live
and I plan on putting my digital camera on it (8 oz).
So with the 4s-4000mah Lipo and my camera (8 oz),
it will be heavy.....

2. is this a Limited Motor Run "LMR" glider?
What I mean by that is, do you guys keep full throttle "WOT"
only for 30sec, then glide around, to let electronics cool off?
....and thermal around....

3. with the 4s-4000mah Lipo that I want to use,
if I go all out "WOT", what is the average flight times?

(I know it would help if we get the amps of the Stock
power setup that comes with the Diamond 2500
to determind average flight times)

4. how much Watts is the stock power system?
....ie ~500watts with the 4s Lipos we use?

5. Banana Hobby ~$240 with Flaps
NitroPlanes ~~200 w/o /Flaps

Do these planes have the Same Motor?

What I plan to do with this plane is fly around a bit with
motor constantly "ON"..... there are no thermals where
I live b/c its very cold outside.....

I hope it can fly with Motor constantly "ON" for longer than 25minutes.?????
I know I'm not going "WOT" all the time, but the motor will be "ON"
a lot.

can someone post a Video (not onboard camera) with the
Diamond 2500 flying around "WOT".....

sorry for all the questions, but I got excited about this bird
In answer to a couple of your questions - One. Where we fly is windy most of the time so I fly with just under half throttle most of the time. This gives about fifteen to twenty minutes flight time. As this is flat field soaring, there are a few thermals and if I can stay in the thermal, my flight time is much extended - I just follow the sea gulls that love soaring and hook on behind them (they don't mind too much) and then I can soar as long as I can stay in the lift. I use a 3S 2700mAh Lipo
As regards the COG it is set as instructed in the manual - Hope that this helps
PhilJacks is offline Find More Posts by PhilJacks
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:15 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Hi Bill and Terry.
Welcome to this tred!
Regarding CG it is very unsensetive. -83mm is good. -60mm also! Just a little more up-trim. If you did buy the reduced version without flaps, there is a iron weight just up front that you shall remove, at least if you put in a 4S acc. I have tested -60 to -100mm No problems!
/BG
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Bengtsson View Post
Hi Bill and Terry.
Welcome to this tred!
Regarding CG it is very unsensetive. -83mm is good. -60mm also! Just a little more up-trim. If you did buy the reduced version without flaps, there is a iron weight just up front that you shall remove, at least if you put in a 4S acc. I have tested -60 to -100mm No problems!
/BG
Thanks for the info BG, I am looking forward to flying it soon. I have painted the bottom of the wings a candy apple red, and I am planning on painting the fuse florescent orange. I will hopefully be able to see it when it gets real high.LOL

Terry
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Diamond 2500 FPV

Gents,
I know this in not an FPV thread but it is about the amazing Diamond 2500. I am an FPV pilot and use the Diamond 2500 as my primary long range FPV platform. I had a very interesting Long Range flight a week or so ago with the Diamond 2500 and it has an interesting ending. I have posted the video of the flight for those who care to have a look. It is a fairly long video (25minutes) but if you have the time to watch it to the end I think you will be amazed with the outcome of the flight. One other item to mention prior to your viewing of the video is keep in mind that this airplane was fully loaded with FPV equipment and is much heavier than a stock Diamond 2500. That along with a very hard landing on a previous flight were both major contributors to the outcome of this 3.17 mile flight.
I hope you enjoy the flight,
Bruce

Diamond 2500 13 March 2011 FPV (3.17miles)(5.1K) (25 min 12 sec)
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:59 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Thanks Bruce for sharing!!!
Amazing
/BG
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,287 Posts
I flew the 2500 for the first time this morning, and I was quite impressed by the performance. It is completely stock with a 2200 Nanotech 4 cell. Once I got it trimmed it seemed like it would glide real well with just a little lift. I was flying in a narrow canyon and was able to get a little lift just over the top of the ridge. When I got ready to land I put the flaps down and the ailerons up and she just floated in for the best landing I could hope for. This is a great plane for the price. I am going to take it up again tomorrow and I know I am going to have a great time.

Terry
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:17 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapsud View Post
Hi, My first time on RC Groups as well.

I've been flying the Diamond for a couple of months now
and find it's a great plane to fly. I originally thought it
would be more difficult to fly than my Easy Glider Pro which
I've been flying for a year or so now (having written off one already so I'm still a bit of a nervous flier).

The Diamond is easier and more stable to fly and climbs as fast as my
Easy Glider (which has the tuning motor). A friend and I had them both up
in the same thermal last week which was fun.

It seems that the wheel is common problem. Mine fell out after a couple of landings and someone else at my club had a wheel fall out at take-off. (Looked like a bouncing bomb going down the patch.

I hopefully have attached a picture of both gliders.
Your gliders look good.
I also have Easygliders, 2 in fact! and have been pleased with them, and was looking for a follow on model, I have looked at lots of YouTube clips, on this ship and it looks more stable than an Easyglider, I guess thats because its larger and after looking at this thread it seems that it generally gets a thumbs up, so I think I will take the plunge and order one, its not a bad price here in the UK either.

Chris (Isle of Wight UK)
iwchris is online now Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:20 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
I flew the 2500 for the first time this morning, and I was quite impressed by the performance. It is completely stock with a 2200 Nanotech 4 cell. Once I got it trimmed it seemed like it would glide real well with just a little lift. I was flying in a narrow canyon and was able to get a little lift just over the top of the ridge. When I got ready to land I put the flaps down and the ailerons up and she just floated in for the best landing I could hope for. This is a great plane for the price. I am going to take it up again tomorrow and I know I am going to have a great time.

Terry
Yes I noticed in some of the YouTube clips on this glider that landing was quite slow with the flaps, "just what I like" and less chance if a mishap!
iwchris is online now Find More Posts by iwchris