SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
hey I am looking at this plane and was wondering if it would be able to handle a 2200mAh 3S battery instead of the stock 4S thanks
Danegerous14 is offline Find More Posts by Danegerous14
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:02 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Absolutely! I have tried down to 1350mAh 3s,weight only 122g/4.3oz.Only problem is that CG will be at -90mm. But that is still flyable, but sensitive! If you go back in this thread you will find some of mine, and others tries with lowering the weight.
I did buy the "reduced" Diamond without flaps and with 3s. The power is much less with 3S but still enough to fly. And I had to work with adding servos for the faps. And flaps is a must for spot landing! And wery fun. You can see on my Flaps landing video...
If you buy, or wish one for Christmas, your welcome to share your experience.
Your are welcome anyway...!
/BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:16 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
I'm considering the Diamond 2500 as my first sailplane. My flying experience...been flying helis for 4 years and airplanes for nearly two years...concentrating primarily on 3D airplanes. So, will the 2500 be a good beginner sailplane for me? I've always been intrigued by the sailplanes and thermalling in general. Also, I live in central Indiana. How is the thermalling in the Midwest?
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:26 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Hi racin06 and all
I think everybody that has been flying before will easily fly the Diamond 2500! Definitely a good choice!
Buy the full scale 4s with flaps. But I think that is the only one they sell in US.
It is the thermalling that pulled me into it!
I hope others will add comments in this corner! Phil and others with experience of other types of airplanes...
/BG
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:02 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
snow snow snow
nothing but snowing! And it is still only dec19!
Here are two amazing videos, outside our topic, but anyway.
This first is an amazing flyin thing:
19 feet RC-Vectorkite Indoor (3 min 40 sec)

And this is the best video I have seen on soaring around the alps.
I really like that he have not cut it to pieces!
How I would like to have it with originalsound...
Dicht am Felsen - Segelfliegen Wilder Kaiser 2009 - Gliding Alps (10 min 3 sec)

Now it is snowing even moore!!!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,609 Posts
hahahhaha BGben....

I thought that glider video "soaring around the Alps" was
rc Model FPV plane.... LOL
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
I just thought I should add to this thread - I just got the diamond 2500 a few days ago, and so far it seems like a great plane.

I got it for $260 ($225 plus taxes and shipping) receiver ready. Put in my own spektrum receiver and 4s 3000mah battery, and it worked well. Because of California's current horrible weather, I've only gotten one chance to fly it so far.

Setup was easy -all control surfaces worked well. The flaps seemed a little off from the ailerons, but not much, and it appeared to make absolutely no difference in flight.

My one flight with it consisted of about 2 flights totaling 15 minutes (I couldn't get it more than one or two hundred feet up before it would start to disappear in the clouds). It flew very nicely, requiring almost no trim adjustments. I did a loop, and was impressed by no noticeable wing flex. It climbs very nicely at half throttle, and at full throttle climbs at an incredibly steep angle (especially pointed into the wind). The two aileron rolls I did were slow and kind of sloppy, but I wasn't flying particularly fast, and I wasn't correcting for drop much. I think with more speed and practice, it could be decently aerobatic. Inverted flight seemed fine.
The flaps really make it balloon upwards when you lower them, and it becomes so floaty it almost feels hard to get it to come down to the ground. I was flying in what I'm guessing was 10ish mph winds. It handled very well. The ailerons and elevator were extremely effective; the rudder not so much, but it was good when used in conjunction with ailerons. Landings had to be facing straight into the wind, because with flaps down and no power it was basically at the mercy of the wind. Landings were very easy.

So those are my short initial impressions. Seems like a great plane so far. Let me know if you have any questions (hopefully this rain clears up and I get some more flights with it over xmas)
Streamline35 is offline Find More Posts by Streamline35
Last edited by Streamline35; Dec 20, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:26 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Hi Streamline35! and welcome to this thread!
That sounds very cheap in a Swedish ear, $225! Receiver ready,does that mean no Tx/Rx included?...
I think the slow roll is the main minus sign in our protocol... And maybe the hi drag at higher speed...
I hope you will continue to give us reports, maybe some slope soaring!?...
Today it stopped snowing here in Sweden. It shall be fine tomorrow. Then the snow shall came back...! I hope I will be out some day during Christmas or New year!
/BG
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
Yeah, it's $300 ready to fly, but you can take off $25 for the tx and rx (shows how cheap the included one is) and take off $50 for the battery. Since I already had better versions of both of those (jr xp9303, a couple spektrum receivers, and a 3000mah 4s intended for a big p51 I have yet to get flying), no point in including them. I also have some high capacity 3s batteries that I think I'll try out in it, since you said it flies fine with those. Probably fine for general soaring since they are lighter and you don't need much power for that.

I'll let you know when I do some more flying with it. I've got a cheap little camera that I'll probably mount somewhere (I'm thinking the underside of one of the wings facing straight down would make for some cool aerial footage). I've got some good footage of it mounted on the front of my heavily modified multiplex easystar

FPV Multiplex Easystar (9 min 49 sec)

Sorry I'm not much of a video editor - it's just the full flight with natural sound, and the camera is pretty cheap (I'll get a nicer one at some point).

And yes, I will let you know about slope soaring when I try it. The best place for slope soaring is the cliffs at Huntington Beach (it's the same place you see on the diamond 2500 video on bananahobby.com), but there are too many people around to fly such a big plane so low to the ground. I slope soar there with my easystar, and it's nice. I'll need to find a better place for soaring the diamond, with some bigger cliffs and fewer people.

BG - I liked what you did with the butterfly flap setup on your diamond. I might have to try that out once I get a full range 6 channel receiver for it. Right now I have 2 spektrum dsm 2 receivers - a full range 5 channel and park flier 6 channel (which I don't trust the range on enough to put in the diamond).
When I flew the diamond, I noticed how much it ballooned upwards and floated amazingly when the flaps are deployed - does that butterfly setup slow it down alot without making it so floaty?
I'm jealous of the snow you are getting in Sweden right now - I visited Stockholm for new years last year (I have a good friend who lives there) and I have never felt cold like that before, but Stockholm is an amazing city (I love Sweden in general)

At some point I was also thinking it would be fun to have it carry a payload up into the sky (since it's huge and has such an excess of power). Maybe some army-men with parachutes and a servo to release them. We'll see

EDIT - Rewatching those videos of yours (very nice video by the way), it looks like those butterfly flaps make the plane drop like a rock, but with alot less forward speed than without the flaps. Especially compared to landing with normal flaps, where it becomes really hard to get the plane to come down to the ground
Streamline35 is offline Find More Posts by Streamline35
Last edited by Streamline35; Dec 20, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:49 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Hello All Diamond Lovers
Streamlie35
Thanks for comments on my videos. It is interesting to compare our videos to the guys that really can do nice flying videos! Learning not to "play with the sticks". It is often to see that people use to slow down the video to compensate the shaking. And the difficulty to get the other plane on the film! Seems to be hard! But nice catch in the end!
Regarding SNOW: We have too much. And only before Christmas! But your right, it is nice when the sun shines upon it!
Regarding Butterfly. I should have tested and showed flaps only on the video. Yes it is more floaty, but it adds drag too. Especially at higher speed. And try to have as much as possible 80degree! If you cannot mix in elevator down you have to push forward to dive/increase speed! Then you will see that the higher drag will reduce speed! But high flaps angle will also increase attack angle. So at low speed the wing will stall at the flaps. And upwards on ailerons will decrease attac angle there reducing lift, and reducing stall. That is why it is so stable. No clipping, just falling forward. Do testing with flaps deployed a little higher altitude and analyze the gliding ratio at longer time.
/BG
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Merry Christmas all Diamond lovers!!!
I hope you can fly. Here in Sweden we have new snow coming down!
God Bless you all!
/BG
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:22 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,609 Posts
Hey BG Ben,
Merry Christmas,

I was was watching your "down flaps" video ....
I wanted to know, is it just your flaps thats going down?
are the Ailerson moving up a little? (crow?)

if the flaps are only moving down, how much down elevator are you giving?

I may want to mix some down elevator when the flaps go down, but
is it better to manually control the sticks giving a down elevator movement?

I love how it just spot lands.....

I'm using a "reverse Y-connector" on my flaps, so all I have to do is
flick a switch and the flaps go down about 45 degrees.
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Dec 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
186 Posts
Butterfly

Hi rclab1
I did look back on the thread. We have discussed a lot!
From #84 I first tells about flaps test. In #86 I am happy about how to figure out the mixing settings!
And #191 tells about the amount of rudder displacement.
I have as much as I can down on the Flaps and actually as much as I dared up on the Ailerons. The Elevator -5-6mm down is also quite much.
Without elevator compensation you need to really push the stick forward to keep speed up.
Watch up with the Flaps servo arm position! It shall be as much forward as possible at maximum activation! And approximately 90degree at neutral! Then there will be as low electic servo current as possible. As seen on my video I overloaded the BEC and lost contact! I actually did that several times! Now I have one 2500uF capacitor in parallell to the Rx. I do not know if it helps, but after these two improvements I have never lost contact...
EDIT: I just looked on my Flaps video. At 7:40 min I show the effect from aileron up! You can see the wing tips goes down due to the force on the ailerons!
EDIT2: If you have not set up the thread to show 100 post atime: Click on your name or go to your blogg. Go to your RCGroups. Click on Edit options. Go down in the list. Change Thread Display Options to "Show 100 post per page"...
/BG
Last edited by BG Bengtsson; Dec 25, 2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: comments on video
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:01 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Christmas Greeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Bengtsson View Post
Merry Christmas all Diamond lovers!!!
I hope you can fly. Here in Sweden we have new snow coming down!
God Bless you all!
/BG
Thanks for the Christmas greeting! I always look forward to seeing your posts in this thread.

Thought I would also mention....whoever does your video shooting does a great job. Really good quality videos. I look forward to seeing more now that the shortest days of the year are passing.

Merry Christmas,

The other "BG"
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Art-Tech Diamond 2500 FPV airplane

Just incase anyone here may be interested here is a link to my for sale ad for an Art-Tech Diamond 2500 FPV airplane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360698

Thanks for looking,
Bruce
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566