HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:09 AM
Joined May 2009
80 Posts
RE: Pictures. The BH web site's are better than I could do. They accurately reflect what it looks like. I have not fully assembled it yet. Battery is a 4s 2500 mAh, and mine was RTF with a 6 channel 2.4 gHz RX/TX combo for $299. The motor's number is an A3720. The ESC is a 60 amp. so I am assuming that the motor has a moderate kV rating - likely 700 kV, which is the same as the Art-Tech Corsair is supplied with. No problems in re the delivery - 3 days UPS from LA to here (Santa Ynez).

I was a little surprized by how BIG it is. Hope I can get it into my car, even with the wings off. Fit and finish is actually better than I was expecting. Not very light - 1900 grams.

It looks like a much faster flyer than my Radian, so I am going to have to work into flying it by gaining some more experience with the Radian first. The flaps are activated by the left topside switch on the transmitter. I am particularly interested to see how they will work in conjunction with the elevator to allow for slow flying the model, and for bringing it down in a small space. The flaps have an adjustment for angle and speed of deployment with a separate controller, which is a nice feature.

Unfortunately, we are going to have some poor weather for the next few days, so it might be a while before I get it flying...
wa6rxm is offline Find More Posts by wa6rxm
Last edited by wa6rxm; Apr 29, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:25 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,233 Posts
flying impressions and rethink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa6rxm View Post
Battery is actually a 5s 2500 mAh, and mine was RTF with a 6 channel 2.4 gHz RX/TX combo for $299. The motor's number is an A3720. The ESC is a 60 amp. so I am assuming that the motor has a moderate kV rating - likely 700 kV. The folding prop is quite large, too. 14 X 8 size.I was a little surprized by how BIG it is. Hope I can get it into my car, even with the wings off. Fit and finish is actually better than I was expecting. Not very light - 1900 grams.It looks like a much faster flyer than my Radian, so I am going to have to work into flying it by gaining some more experience with the Radian first. The flaps are activated by the left topside switch on the transmitter. ...
Hi Paul,
i think if you have the raidian flying well, you can fly this larger model just fine. It really is just a bigger radian. A real help the first time or two may be getting a helper to launch the model straight ahead and level. I think the fellow i saw last weekend had the RTF version too because i though the battery was HUGE but he said it was 3s. He was using his own JR tx/rx.

john s./ab6sa
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:28 PM
Joined May 2009
80 Posts
Well, hope you are right. I'm an RC "retread" from the late '50's with rubber band escapement controlled planes just getting back into the hobby.

Although I currenty own a real plane and have a helicopter rating in R-22'S the degree of correlation between "real" flying and RC flying is NOT THAT GREAT! RC is HARDER!

I am "re-learning" RC flying with the Radian, and hope to be able to transition to the DA 2500 at some point.

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Last edited by wa6rxm; Apr 05, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Got the Diamond 2500 today - three day shipment from BH UPS. No damage in transit. Just in the process of opening it up now. The wing stiffener is an aluminium rod. Looks nice. Assembly, per the instruction book, looks to be minimal. The flap deflection and speed of deployment appears to be adjustable with a separate control - nice feature. More to come...
Hey WA6RXM,

Have you had a chance to get her in the air...?
Aientonni is offline Find More Posts by Aientonni
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:54 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Yes, flight report please! It looks like a great glider.
road_rascal is online now Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2009
80 Posts
Roger that - I'm still learning to fly the Radian, so it will be a while until I try the DA 2500!
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Roger that - I'm still learning to fly the Radian, so it will be a while until I try the DA 2500!
Ah shucks!!! Oh well....I might as well just buy it. I've pretty much decided to get it anyways. (grin)
Old Apr 08, 2010, 01:04 AM
ShenZhen,China
Joined Apr 2008
5 Posts
it is not epp , but epo.
a_mi is offline Find More Posts by a_mi
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:52 AM
United Kingdom, Bozeat
Joined Jan 2007
250 Posts
Just completed review for Q&EFI UK mag - good value model !
Martin Bell is offline Find More Posts by Martin Bell
Old Apr 08, 2010, 01:46 PM
Joined May 2009
80 Posts
I don't think you will be dissapointed. Looks like a good plane, and a lot of value for the $$$, as the UK reviewer said. Sorry, but I am working up to flying it by practicing with my Radian first. It's a lot heavier and will be a much faster flyer, IMHO...
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:20 PM
Joined Mar 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bell View Post
Just completed review for Q&EFI UK mag - good value model !
Which month should your review appear?
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:46 PM
United Kingdom, Bozeat
Joined Jan 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aientonni View Post
Which month should your review appear?
Most likely June edition - which is published late May.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:18 AM
Fly 4 Fun
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Joined May 2002
84 Posts
Diamond 2500.wmv (4 min 21 sec)

Art-tech's airplanes have shown tremendous development over the last year or so. Here is our test sample on it's second flight. Flight battery came straight out of the EDF in the opening shot, I'd forgotten the Diamond's battery at home. As you'll notice I realy like this airplane.

Christie
www.flyfun.co.za
Christie is offline Find More Posts by Christie
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1 Posts
Wing Joiner

I have just got one of these to fly if its too calm for my glass planes - Very disapointed with the quality The joiner (round aluminium tube) is rediculously tight in the wings (thin square!!! section steel tube) and when I did manage to assemble it the geometry was nothing short of appalling a good 15 degrees slanted relative to the T Tail. Have I just got a bad one??

Mick Walsh (UK)
micktss is offline Find More Posts by micktss
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:27 AM
United Kingdom, Bozeat
Joined Jan 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micktss View Post
I have just got one of these to fly if its too calm for my glass planes - Very disapointed with the quality The joiner (round aluminium tube) is rediculously tight in the wings (thin square!!! section steel tube) and when I did manage to assemble it the geometry was nothing short of appalling a good 15 degrees slanted relative to the T Tail. Have I just got a bad one??

Mick Walsh (UK)
Hi Mick
If it's that bad take it back to the supplier and see that they say.
I didn't have any of the problems you mention with the review model. There were a few points I was not paricularly happy with, but nothing major. Review will be in June Q&EFI by the way. Pic her shows good alignment!