HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:30 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Thanks Chris,
Will check these out.
Did so repair work yesterday and kind of surprised how its coming back together !!
May be back in the air next week.
We can get a packing tape here with a cloth weave through it in a few colours. I think its a 3M brand.
Have a strip of it along the bottom of my ASW28 foamy which has no wheel.
(reckon it holds it together these days !!)
Cheers
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:32 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
fpv with Diamond 2500

I just found these two links on vimeo, by "silben". And Silben, you are welcome here to share your experience with us!
First time I see anyone slope soar with the Diamond. And what a neighborhood...
FPV Flug Mythen Holzegg (4 min 34 sec)

FPV Flug Wernisberg SwissKnifeValley (3 min 37 sec)

I did not know about the rc group on vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/groups/36916/

Nice to hear Tony that you manage to repair. I did take off the motor cover myself a couple a days ago. Reading about dropped motors scared me a little. I did put some morre glue on the firewall plywood. And also changed the two screws that hold the plywood to the plastic pipe to two a little larger ones. Did not glue the "motor hood" back, only fixed with packing tape.

Today was nice wether here. I had the bird in the car, but no time to fly.
/BG
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:50 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Today flight

Hi All,
I had nice flying today at about 4 PM my time. It was little windy but the wind slowed down. It was nice little variable little sunny and cloudy whether, but more sunny. But was little cold. But I managed to control the airplane. It was at small local airfield Praslavice. I tried to fly more higher than usual and enjoyed the flight. I observed that if I was higher it looked to me diamond did not glide down so quickly. Not sure if it was wind or thermo. I now feel more comfortable to fly. But still I need to learn something. I do not handle properly the situation when the battery is low or discharged. Instead of immediate fast turn and directly head to the airport I still do slower move to prepare for safe landing instead of immediate fast landing and then I do not have enough power to get to the airport. But I landed safely into beet field instead into nice cut grass of the airfield. I did not have enough power in the battery. It was similar situation as I did about 2 weeks ago.

It was there also really nice flight at that time. My family, family of my girlfriend, my brother with his girlfriend and my honey we all. I showed them how I flight diamond - for the first time to some of them. They enjoyed it. It was little too late time. Started to sun go down and it was cloudy weather. It was at the small local airport Moskovice near my parents. Nice flying time there. I concentrated more on flight then on landing. It was the first time this way. After some time the batter was discharged. Instead of immediate turn and land I also did slow move. Then battery did not have enough power to get to the airfield there. I landed into the field there. Since it started to be darker and I did not estimate battery power, high and distance. I little hard landed there into the field with smaller sods. But it was relatively safe, only bottom of the airplane was scratched a little. I fixed and tuned for my flight today some time ago.

I would like to avoid this type of situations when the battery is low. How do you usually do it? Do you flight only certain specific time? I flight today for about 25 minutes.
Do you use some electronic device which will start to beep when the battery is below certain limit? Is this device usable? I see this devices on eBay. That is why, question is, if it will be usable.

Hope you are enjoying diamond still before the winter will come...

Best Regards,
Pavel
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Last edited by pavn; Oct 26, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Flying with a timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Hi All,
I had nice flying today at about 4 PM my time. It was little windy but the wind slowed down. It was nice little variable little sunny and cloudy whether, but more sunny. But was little cold. But I managed to control the airplane. It was at small local airfield Praslavice. I tried to fly more higher than usual and enjoyed the flight. I observed that if I was higher it looked to me diamond did not glide down so quickly. Not sure if it was wind or thermo. I now feel more comfortable to fly. But still I need to learn something. I do not handle properly the situation when the battery is low or discharged. Instead of immediate fast turn and directly head to the airport I still do slower move to prepare for safe landing instead of immediate fast landing and then I do not have enough power to get to the airport. But I landed safely into beet field instead into nice cut grass of the airfield. I did not have enough power in the battery. It was similar situation as I did about 2 weeks ago.

It was there also really nice flight at that time. My family, family of my girlfriend, my brother with his girlfriend and my honey we all. I showed them how I flight diamond - for the first time to some of them. They enjoyed it. It was little too late time. Started to sun go down and it was cloudy weather. It was at the small local airport Moskovice near my parents. Nice flying time there. I concentrated more on flight then on landing. It was the first time this way. After some time the batter was discharged. Instead of immediate turn and land I also did slow move. Then battery did not have enough power to get to the airfield there. I landed into the field there. Since it started to be darker and I did not estimate battery power, high and distance. I little hard landed there into the field with smaller sods. But it was relatively safe, only bottom of the airplane was scratched a little. I fixed and tuned for my flight today some time ago.

I would like to avoid this type of situations when the battery is low. How do you usually do it? Do you flight only certain specific time? I flight today for about 25 minutes.
Do you use some electronic device which will start to beep when the battery is below certain limit? Is this device usable? I see this devices on eBay. That is why, question is, if it will be usable.

Hope you are enjoying diamond still before the winter will come...

Best Regards,
Pavel
Hello pavn,
Sounds like you are having fun with your Diamond 2500.

Yes you should use a timer for LiPo battery use. These packs will not last very long if you use more than 70% each discharge. Hopefully you have a charger that will show you mAH put into the pack during the charge. You should fly for a given amount of time, say 15 minutes then charge the pack. Check to see what % of the pack capacity you used and if it's less than 70% that's good. Fly again for about 5 minutes longer, say 20 minutes this time. Then check the % used again. Keep repeating this process until you are using about 70% of the packs capacity. Then use a timer with this time and land after your timer goes off. You will lengthen the life of the pack and not have to land without power again if you use this method.

Some people use a lipo alarm and that will work too but some of them may not be heard depending on where you are when it goes off. I like the timer method myself.

Hope this helps,
Bruce
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:16 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Hi thanks for the tips. I tried it today to flight in nice calm sunny weather. I watched measured time during the flight today. And landed upfront before the battery got low, so this did not happen again to me. I also ordered that Lipo Alarm today. So I can use it in the future. There is written that it is about 4 grams? I tried today to flight completely alone again including start from hand/takeoff without any assistance on start. It was for me like for the first time. Since always somebody helped me with the start by throwing the airplane, so I could be concentrated on controls. Today I was able to flight alone only with my assistance. I threw the diamond from left hand holding transmitter in the right hand and used belt to hold transmitter also. I use MODE 2. The power of motor is so strong, if I hold the diamond with just one hand. I am glad I made this progress today also with safe landing before battery was low. Also I tested landing with flaps today. Today was really sunny and windy calm day with nearly no wind. I enjoyed it.

Ps: I am also interested in FPV. I usually look on videos with it on Internet. Some day hopefully, I will be using something like this too... I have also nice video links with it, if you are interested... to see. They are flying in Prague on some of the videos with it or in the snowy and height mountains. Not sure what is needed completely for it to get it to work. If the distance is not issue, or how it is solved. Otherwise it could be very enjoyable. Usually some guys in addition to FPV camera they add GoProHD or other HD camera to airplane also, to record the video flight in best quality.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Nice to hear about your progressing Pavel!
Does your large batteries work for you? I guess it is no problems with the extra weight? or...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:30 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
They forgot to send me correct Deans connectors. So I need to wait with it still... Just used only original 4S 2500mA battery, which was with diamond, which I have. I ordered also that 15grams Spy Key Chain Cam version #3 - which has the best video quality, some time ago but I still did not get it though...

Ps: Some videos I talked about: Prague: Prague, Mountains: Mountains , nice flight: nice flight, 9155 Meter Long Range FPV Flight: 9155 Meter Long Range Flight, nice diamond flight: nice diamond flight...
Last edited by pavn; Oct 27, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:11 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
nice videos! Here is another guy in Norway that really can do flight videos:
He does not give much info on the videos but they are nice! Norway is a really nice country!
Highlights on wings summer 2010 (5 min 15 sec)

yes, I saw that. Very many has very good video cameras on the plane...
Last edited by BG Bengtsson; Oct 28, 2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: response to next
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:27 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Yes. Really nice!!!

Did you see this? Diamond in winter also from Norway...
FPV Art-Tech Diamond 2500 (4 min 21 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2009
2 Posts
Ignore this message.
rcguy344 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy344
Last edited by rcguy344; Nov 07, 2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:09 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
707 Posts
Hello BG, Pavin , and all Diamond Pilots worldwide,...enjoyed all the new videos posted, they're edited great and the music sets the mood.....Linda and i have settled in , here in Quartzsite Arizona, and my Diamond loves it here. we have warm 80's-95 degree temperatures, so along with several other glider pilots, we are thermaling out at will. the blue skys highlight the diamonds white wings, so i haven't had to paint these . Long big lazy inverted figure eights are easily flown while chatting with the other pilots. Many of the guys asked me if they could assist me with my launch, but were amazed how our Diamonds just fly right from our hands and climb out effortlessly, getting up to thermal altitude in seconds....and because of our long paved runway, i've just been lining up , lowering the flaps, and just let the Diamond settle in gently onto the runway right in front of the pilot's station....we are looking for some great glider flying this season, and i'll try and get an on-board video posted soon
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:01 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
winter

Hello Phil, and all Diamond lovers!
Here in Sweden is snowstorm today! But I shall not complain:
I did send a message to the guy in Norway that made the nice fpv video.
He gave this respond:
From now on the winter sets the fpv-flights to a hault...Here in North Norway it is soon "The dark" season...The sun it behind the horizon for 2 mounth..Only 3-4 hour of daylight.But next year i hope to get on the wings a lot.
During the summer we have the midnight sun so pleny of light
Greetings from Viggo

I was in the air last saturday! A nice evening no wind nd naturally no thermo, but anyway a little practice.
/BG
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:55 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Hi fellow Diamondos,
Bit the bullet and got a new fuselarge after all.
3 flights this morning and all worth while. Took the weights out of the wing while I was setting up again and like the other comments on the forum it did fly a bit more "floaty"
and I was able to hold a higher nose up in tight turns. ( Or am I imagining it ? ) thermals should start soon as weather warms up more.
Flying on a 2200 4 cell set at front of "cockpit".
Whats the largest battery size you guys are using. Feel I would like some more weight for penetration on windy days.
Loved the videos....wow we would be in prison if we flew over populated areas !!
Cheers
Tony
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
Hi Tony
I guess its not snowing at the Gold coast...
So, you did buy a new fuse. It is suprisingly how strong it is. But everything has limits...
I was out last saturday. I did fly with my 4S acc. First a Rhino 1850mAh, acc weight 218g. In the middle of cockpit.Then the Turnigy 3Ah, 334g, as far aft as possible. The Rhino gives CG spot on target, -83mm and the Turnigy around -65mm.
You shall make a scale on the wings. Mark each 10mm and put a clear tape on top. Then it is easy to check Center of Gravity. A 2200mAh cell up fron will give a CG maybe at -60/65mm. But, actually CG does not do so much differense. You need to give some tick up on elevator...
If you get more floaty feeling without wing weight? If you mean less stable in flight direction, I agree. But I would like to check more carefully if it also influences the stability when flying in circles, during soaring...??? Maybe the weight in the outher wing, that will also be higher up, would help to pull the win down? I have a feling that it is difficult to circle stable without any compensation. I have to actively push the aileron outwards after a while. Especially when the drag upwards increases, and the speed increases. But I have not had the weights in sins the beginning.

How do you do, taking lunch break during thermo...?

Another thing: When I ws flying now last time I had to tick down the elevator to -20 to fly straight!? After, when I put averything together I saw that the contol surface was loose in one end! Lucky for me it still was controlable! I have to put tape on to make new "hinges". So a warning: do not only check that the servos is moving, check all the "rudders" as well.
/BG
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:56 PM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Hi BG,
No snow, 26 C ( and high humidity, with our wetest Spring for 40 years)
I had another couple of flights between rain showers this morning. Normally use a
2200 4s Turnigy, pretty much all the way forward. Slight nose down attitude but elevator trim at neutral . Trade off is holding positive elevator/ rudder in tight turns but thats my preference.
Want to explore with say a 3000ma battery back in the tray on real windy days.
Regularly check control surface hinging....guess why....have already put a pin hinges in outer ailerons
Take care.

Tony