Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:11 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
Discussion
Realflight G4.5 vs Phoenix RC Pro

Realflight G4.5
Phoenix RC Pro 2.5
I was just curious which one you would recommend. I am looking at getting a simulator for airplane training, not helicopter training. I would personally prefer a better flight model over good graphics.
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:45 AM
Blackhawk
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
I have both. I use Phoenix for heli training and Realflight for planes.
If you need simulator for airplanes training I think you should go with RealFlight. You can download more flying fields and planes from here http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...?do=cat&id=124
kz4q66 is offline Find More Posts by kz4q66
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Hi,

Get PhoenixRC. I fly both heli and planes on this sim and all is OK. Just change the model setting to your likings. Realflight is too expensive and is going nowhere with their air-to-air combat.............

If you want to have a second choice go and check Aerofly 5, or the older Aerofly Pro Deluxe. Aerofly 5 is also a more 3D graphics focused sim. Aerofly Pro Deluxe is about the same as PhoenixRC (bit less) and mostly uses photofields.

If you like a sim that loads fast and is sticking to pure RC sim, get PhoenixRC.

Cheers!
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:54 PM
AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
I use Phoenix for Planes only and its excellent free updates for life, new models expected any moment, you use your own tx and its real. I spent 2 months on the sim before I started and then on my first flight I did circuits, figure of 8's and loops.
AD. is offline Find More Posts by AD.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
bump
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
Any more opinions?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:51 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,488 Posts
Kyle .... it boils down to what you are going to fly, how much money you can spend and how good/powerful your computer is.

Asking which one is better is like being at a dog show and asking which dog is the best. You will get a different answer every time.

Both are good. I sold my copy of Phoenix over a year and a half ago. It was too buggy then and had too many problems. Much of that has been fixed. Phoenix will now be handled by Horizon which means that you will have to deal with them with any issues. Not a drawback but you need to be aware of that.

I use Realfight. Works good, lasts a long time and has more than ample support on their forum and a hugh amount of user created models to choose from. If you want model diversity then RF is the one to choose. Phoenix still ( as far as I know ) has not released a developer pack, SDK or modeller for their program. If you are happy with the models from Phoenix, then that will not be a problem.

Phoenix takes 'less' of a computer to run, so that is an advantage it has over RF. Both do an admirable job at what they are designed for. Neither are defective in helicopters or planes and how realistic they are. Both programs have settings for you to adjust the realism to your taste; so when someone says one program has more realstic aircraft than the other, that is simply a personal statement.

Personally, I am not into the online flying. I have better things to do with my life and my time. It may be important to you and it may not. I would not suggest buying a sim based on its online flying ability.

Flip a coin, either one is satisfactory for what you want to do and that is to learn to fly or to fly better.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:15 AM
AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
Phoenix won't be "handled" by HH but they will be the exclusive distributor in US but Phoenix will still be used for Support. Neither RF or Phoenix are based on onlien flying but Phoenix incorporates the feature which is handy to recreate the club experience watching out for traffic.
AD. is offline Find More Posts by AD.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:54 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,488 Posts
I did not say Phoenix was based on online flying. What I did say was to not buy a sim based on its online flying ability.

Of course, if the sims offers online flying and that is important to the user, then that feature should be a consideration.

It is good to know that Phoenix will still handle the tech support, I seriously doubt that HH would be up to doing as good of a job at tech support as what Runtime is capable of.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2009, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
I know that I can use the Spectrum DX-7 TX
with the Phoenix. And I am thinking of geting the
Phoenix Sim.

Questions are;

1/ can We use the programming features of the
DX-7 for the Phoenix Sim, specifically for Helicopters like
throttle curves, pitch curves, mixings, trimings, switches of the DX-7?

2/ Or we have to use only the built in
programming features of the Phoenix Sim instead.

Thanks

flapdown is offline Find More Posts by flapdown
Old Nov 06, 2009, 05:33 PM
Helicrack Addict
Australia, QLD, Forest Lake
Joined Dec 2003
516 Posts
1. Yes you sure can, I do for the helis.

2.If you can't be bothered setting up model programming in your Tx the presets in Phoenix work great allowing you to plug and play.
whopper is offline Find More Posts by whopper
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm a scallywag on the slope
Santa Maria Ca.
Joined Mar 2008
249 Posts
I love flying slope gliders but also fly e-power. any suggestions?
Scurvy Dog is offline Find More Posts by Scurvy Dog
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
1. Yes you sure can, I do for the helis.

2.If you can't be bothered setting up model programming in your Tx the presets in Phoenix work great allowing you to plug and play.

thanks.

Could you use full programming features of the DX-7
for the Phoenix Helicopters or there are some limitation on the DX-7?

Also, Could you do autorotation with the Phoenix Helicopters
using the DX-7 throttle hold feature?

I want to do full programming on the DX-7 and then
practice, use it with the Helicopter models of the Phoenix
and then later apply to my RC helicopters

Thanks
Old Nov 09, 2009, 11:17 PM
Helicrack Addict
Australia, QLD, Forest Lake
Joined Dec 2003
516 Posts
I'm using a 9x so not sure how that relates to the DX7 but I run the 9x set up EXACTLY the same as for a real life heli. ie. pitch and throttle curves for Normal/IU1/IU2, hold and hold curves, etc. etc... Phoenix will work perfectly to replicate your real life setup.
whopper is offline Find More Posts by whopper
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I'm using a 9x so not sure how that relates to the DX7 but I run the 9x set up EXACTLY the same as for a real life heli. ie. pitch and throttle curves for Normal/IU1/IU2, hold and hold curves, etc. etc... Phoenix will work perfectly to replicate your real life setup.

Very informative.
Many thanks for your help.
I will get the Phoenix SIM.

Could we do autorotation for Helicopters with the Phoenix?

Thanks again.