HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2009
61 Posts
Discussion
parkzone slo-v vs firebird commander 2?

Which one is better?
How do they compare to the easystar?
Would it be better to just get an easy star?
xxxvizard is offline Find More Posts by xxxvizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
Easy Star will blow both away regarding durability and quality.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxvizard View Post
Which one is better?
How do they compare to the easystar?
Would it be better to just get an easy star?
Hmmmm , that's hard to say which one is technically 'better'.

How much room do you have to fly in? How many feet by how many feet?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
I got the Firebird Phantom and am really enjoying it. To me it was between the Slo-V and the Phantom. Good luck with whatever you decide!
MusicManiac is offline Find More Posts by MusicManiac
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
223 Posts
what a silly ? Slow Stick! w/ lipo and brushless
highpines is offline Find More Posts by highpines
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:59 PM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
632 Posts
I think the easy star will be much more durable than the slow v or the firebird. I would vote for the easy star. You will have more assembly with the easy star but it is a great performer and there are quite few upgrades to do once you get bored with it stock. Good luck with whatever you chose.
Mark
markarch is online now Find More Posts by markarch
Last edited by markarch; Oct 29, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: minor typo
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
^MORE assembly? There's little to do!

-Take plane out of box (duh!)
-Install tail feathers onto tail of plane.
-Hook up linkages
-Install wing
-Charge battery
-Install transmitter batteries

Pretty much the same as most RTF's
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:24 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
632 Posts
Well, He said nothing about RTF in his question so therefore I was speaking of the arf easy star. I gues I should have assumed that RTF may be what he is looking for (DUH). ARF has quite a bit more assembly than RTF though.
- solder the capacitors to the motor
- glue the motor to the fuselage
- glue the fuselage halves together
-glude spars to wings
-glue spar coverst to wings
- glue servos
-glue control rod tubes into fuse sides
- assemble tail feathers.

I'll just keep my comments to myself these days. It seems that everyone is on here to just jump on everybody that they dont agree with. I'll just leave the posting to all of you self proclaimed experts.
markarch is online now Find More Posts by markarch
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post
Well, He said nothing about RTF in his question so therefore I was speaking of the arf easy star. I gues I should have assumed that RTF may be what he is looking for (DUH). ARF has quite a bit more assembly than RTF though.
- solder the capacitors to the motor
- glue the motor to the fuselage
- glue the fuselage halves together
-glude spars to wings
-glue spar coverst to wings
- glue servos
-glue control rod tubes into fuse sides
- assemble tail feathers.

I'll just keep my comments to myself these days. It seems that everyone is on here to just jump on everybody that they dont agree with. I'll just leave the posting to all of you self proclaimed experts.
Hi Mark,

Don't let a few guys get you down. You have as much valuable input as any one here, and for what it's worth, I also think like you do... in that the Easy Star is not all that quick to get in the air; especially if you're like me and like to do the best job you can. In fact, I've noticed that on all my Easy Stars, if we don't pay a lot of attention to the stab, it'll go on crooked every time! It's easy enough to remedy, but for me, it's got to be done right, or not at all.

I learned on the Slo-V, so I'm partial to that. I think in my case the Easy Star would have been way too fast for my beginner days.

Take care,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:08 AM
Norfolk, MA
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
The Commander is a 2 channel plan that you will quickly out grow. I like the suggestion of an earlier poster - the firebird Phantom. That is fun little beginner plane. It size is smaller than most beginner planes and flies well in a smaller setting.

I think the slow stick and the firebirds type planes are like apples and oranges. They don't compare that well. If you are looking for a true beginner plane, you can't go wrong with a Hobbizone Super Cub or an EasyStar.
fishingdan is offline Find More Posts by fishingdan
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdan View Post
I think the slow stick and the firebirds type planes are like apples and oranges. They don't compare that well. If you are looking for a true beginner plane, you can't go wrong with a Hobbizone Super Cub or an EasyStar.
I would agree. I started with a Firebird some time back and I would give it credit for teaching me not to overcontrol a plane, but that's about it.
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
61 Posts
Would it be possible to fly the firebird phantom in your front yard and street?
xxxvizard is offline Find More Posts by xxxvizard
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
^Doubtful for a beginner. I might be able to in your typical suburbia, as I used to fly in my front yard that had tall pine trees accross the street, but that was at my old house. Here I have lots of powerlines and trees and houses to fly around (I do NOT recommend flying in an area like this!!!!)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:52 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
I have flown all three of these, you will correctly get mixed reviews as each his own liking, just my eperience but the Easy Star was the best plane, commander slightly fast, the Slo-V nice in zero winds but mine botched up in stronger winds, tho some love the Slo-V...

Easy Star is gentle, has a nice glide, not an overpowering motor at all, pusles upward easily for enjoyable long flights, it was the winner for me...

One other strong entry not mentioned is the amazing Super Cub, countless maidened on this dude and its fantastic flyer, my top choice for a starter other than the Easy Star, both are strongly suggested by the masses...and I agree....but don't take just my word, simply check the positive lengthy threads...BEST
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:07 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Your 2nd question flying the Commander in the front yard, already answered, defintely not, you need alot more room as all planes so far suggested...

Can you fly a plane in the back or front yard, oh yeah, here's a nice one..

Parzone Ember:

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Park..._p/pkz3400.htm

These are small but turn in tight areas, super fun to fly and nice starter planes..

Yes, I have one of these as well, a treat to fly !
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy