Closed Thread
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:53 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
Discussion
How long is a piece of string?

I noticed that Parkzone are calling their models "Ultra Micro". What does that make a 1/72 scale model "Radical Nano"??

I've also noticed that an awful lot of RTF models are making their way into this forum although there is a dedicated micro RTF forum. Perhaps a bit of pruning is required? Not sure if Graham is sole moderator still?

Am I just being an old, grumpy fart (as usual)?
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
How long is a peice of string?

Double the length from one side to the middle, according to the internet.

"Ultra Micro" sounds far more cool than just "Micro" to a younger audience I'm sure, the term Nano will probably be popping up before too long. I dont mind seeing a thread on the RTFs though, I think having the builders side of micro RC putting in their two cents can be a good thing. At least in this forum there's usually only one thread per RTF plane - when the Sukhoi came out, the Micro RTF forum was like this forum when the X-Twin/AeroAce threads started exploding - madness.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
Perhaps a bit of pruning is required? Not sure if Graham is sole moderator still?
According to Graham's stats on his member page he has hardly been active in the past year. I'm sure this forum will survive without being constantly moderated, but still....
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:16 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
I noticed that Parkzone are calling their models "Ultra Micro". What does that make a 1/72 scale model "Radical Nano"??

I've also noticed that an awful lot of RTF models are making their way into this forum although there is a dedicated micro RTF forum. Perhaps a bit of pruning is required? Not sure if Graham is sole moderator still?

Am I just being an old, grumpy fart (as usual)?
Hey Grumpy! I'm probably older than you and grumpier to boot, but please remember the name of this forum is "Indoor and Micro Models."

There is nothing to say that an indoor or any micro model may be excluded for any reason. Micro is not defined, but I think everyone knows what indoor means. If I can fly my quarter scale cub indoors I can write about it here. I don't think I'm going to try that, but I will try my Sukhoi, P-51 and my cub and 4-site when I get them.

I build, but I still have a full time job, live alone, do my own laundry, shopping, cooking, cleaning and occasionally even practice my violin. Doesn't leave a lot of time for building, but I am not a purist and this site is not devoted exclusively to home build models, large or small.

As far as "Ultra Micro" I don't care what they call their models, they and Kyosho are the only main stream outfits to offer models of this size, ready to fly, and they are a lot smaller than what any other major manufacturer makes.

I have some nice Nick Leichty gear lying around here someplace along with three Vapor bricks and two AR6400's and a Sopwith Mutt, mostly built, all of which I would like to get airborne, but reality is that I fly mostly ready built models because I don't have time and I wont have time until I retire. I'm well beyond retirement age, I just can't swing it at the moment.

In the mean while I look forward to reading about people flying the current and future crops of Ultra Micros indoors and I expect to read them here and also read about what people are building and download Peter Rake's plans whenever he posts a new one even though they are not RTF.

Remember, the name is INDOOR and MICRO, not homebuilt tiny RC airplanes.

I do think I am older and grouchier than you also

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:20 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,778 Posts
The same reason for RTF's is the same reason for the size issue, how rtf is an rtf, some people call the sukhoi an RTF, somepeople not as it doesn't come with a Tx etc.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:16 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla View Post
According to Graham's stats on his member page he has hardly been active in the past year. I'm sure this forum will survive without being constantly moderated, but still....
Graham's moderating pretty much extends only to maintaining sticky threads. All other moderating is performed by the "professional moderators". That's why it says "Sticky Shepherd" under his name.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:31 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
Watch out epilot, last time I brought this up I had my wrist slapped with infractions. I think it has to do with contributions, money talks.
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Gordon.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:40 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,586 Posts
I recall that the RTF forum was conceived for the "Air Hog" type toy market planes and folks w/o the skills to repair a Plantraco Butterfly.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:58 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,311 Posts
As long as it will fly indoors (whether in your guest bath, living room or local HS gym), and as long as it's Micro (doesn't smash into pieces smaller than what came out of the box when you just bought it when it hits the end of the "indoor" you fly it in), I'll read it here.

Otherwise, I trust the moderators.

(most of the time)

But the world is a' changin'

Not sure what tomorrow's definition will be...................
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:00 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
i have always believed this side of the micro forums to be mainly for builders to post what they have been up to or the occasional new kit, equipment or other find. the posting of a new rtf to discuss what could be done with it was generally ok from what i have seen. now if we suddenly had 10 threads all about so called "toy grade" rtf planes, not being built from a kit or anything, then it would be an issue.
the majority of the members that are in the micro rtf forum think all plantraco gear is overpriced and too fragile. i disagree, but thats why i like this forum, as most people here HAVE plantraco gear or something similar. (microinvent, nick leichty etc.)
and as far as the naming, according to Wikipedia, micro would be even smaller than your eyes could focus on so nearly all the planes in here arent that small

i would rather build planes than worry about what they are supposed to be labeled, its all for fun anyways
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:37 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
I recall that the RTF forum was conceived for the "Air Hog" type toy market planes and folks w/o the skills to repair a Plantraco Butterfly.
Yes I believe so too.

Must agree with epilot though, he really has a point.

Anyhow, sometimes I miss the the time when you could only fly indoors if you bought expensive gear and built your own model! My point is, there's still a lot of creativity here, but not as much as before in some way.
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:37 AM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if a radically modified "Air Hog" guts are still toy grade...
I recall Bit charger madness over here, it were toy grade (or less) but we all had a ball with them!
Nowadays it seems all too easy till you stumble in a 1/48 6 ch Mustang
Some guys here just keep raising the bar!
Indoor and micro forum is not dead.

Francesco
Cuddles is offline Find More Posts by Cuddles
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:16 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2002
317 Posts
The first plane I flew indoors was a GWS Pico Stick (a bit like a slow stick for the Americans) but I would struggle to class it as 'Pico' these days. So I don't think we should get too bogged down on what they are called. "Indoor" is probably the key descriptor.

I only look at 'Indoor and Micro Models' as I have a shortcut on my desktop and I do like to see some RTF-ish stuff here but I also sometimes look down the list and don't look at anything in detail as they are not my sort of thing, but that's my choice.

Rob
RobT is offline Find More Posts by RobT
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
My comment about "Ultra Micro" was meant a bit tounge in cheeck. It was a poke at manufacturers hype.

I have nothing against RTF models and look as much on that forum as this one. It just seems to me that there is a lot of duplication of discussions across the two forums and I wasn't sure if the forums are actively moderated or not.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Closed Thread