HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:09 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Question
Culver Dart Plans

Hi! I am looking for a good set of plans for a culver dart, radial engine version. I have a 3-view and I suppose I could draw them but I really hate to do it the old fashioned way, with a pencil. I havent got a clue how to draw via the computer, so if you know of some, let me know. I know that there was one on here a while back and I emailed about possible plans. He told me that it had some flight issues and he was not going to persue it. I love to build but hate to draw......HELP!
Marion
sweptside is offline Find More Posts by sweptside
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:27 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,796 Posts
Surely you know by now that you only have to ask. I do quite like drawing.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
There's a nice little Dart down the road from me...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
682 Posts
Check the Peck-Polymers website (www.peck-polymers.com) as I'm fairly sure that a Culver Dart is among the plans available for purchase (sure its for a 13" Peanut Scale FF but you can scale it up!)
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
682 Posts
I was right. See link for free download:

http://www.a2zcorp.us/freedownload/CulverDartGW.pdf
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:16 AM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
I am asking

Peter, I figured I was already bugging you for a Waco cabin so I thought I best not get greedy. But now that you bring it up I would LOVE to do a 50 to60 inch Dart for you. So I am asking. The peanut plan is by Walt Mooney. I have that one but it would reqire a lot of change and Peter Rakes stuff is so good I thing I will just keep bugging him until he gives in. Are you listening Mr. Rake? I was told that the one that was done on here for one of the build offs was pitch sensitive. Mabey a slightly longer fuselage? I know the one that was in RCM magazine was two inches longer. I have not seen the plans so I dont know how noticable it was. If you look up culver dart on this group you will find a good 3 view. Hint hint.
Marion
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:19 AM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Thank you for the picture Deuce. Love the color.
Marion
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptside View Post
Peter, I figured I was already bugging you for a Waco cabin so I thought I best not get greedy. But now that you bring it up I would LOVE to do a 50 to60 inch Dart for you. So I am asking. The peanut plan is by Walt Mooney. I have that one but it would reqire a lot of change and Peter Rakes stuff is so good I thing I will just keep bugging him until he gives in. Are you listening Mr. Rake? I was told that the one that was done on here for one of the build offs was pitch sensitive. Mabey a slightly longer fuselage? I know the one that was in RCM magazine was two inches longer. I have not seen the plans so I dont know how noticable it was. If you look up culver dart on this group you will find a good 3 view. Hint hint.
Marion
I think I have that issue of RCM somewhere. If I can find it, I could scan the plans for comparison purposes.

James
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:26 AM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Hey Deuce, I would love to see a copy of those if its not to hard to find. I know what digging through magazines can entail.

Marion
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:44 AM
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptside View Post
Hey Deuce, I would love to see a copy of those if its not to hard to find. I know what digging through magazines can entail.

Marion
Hehe! Yeah, I was doing some digging earlier today (I know I'd seen it relatively recently!), but failed to find it with a cursory search. I have a few more stacks of mags to dig through... I seem to recall the Dart was on the cover of that issue.

One of the problems is you pick up one of the magazines, and think "Oh, yeah! That [insert model here] is so cool!" then you start thumbing through the article!

James
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:05 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,796 Posts
Okay, I'm listening, but still can't find any decent drawings to work from. Does anyone know where to find some? I have the Mooney drawing, but that's pretty basic.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:24 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Slightly off topic.

I had a friend who was a WASP in WWII. One of her assignments was flying specially modified Culver Cadets. They had fixed LG and Radio Control equipment. Her job was to take them up to some altitude and turn control over to the pilots on the ground. They would test the equipment, then she would land the plane and it would be used as a target drone.

Her only accident in all the flying she did, (including ferrying, and flying brass around) was when the gear collapsed on one of the Culver Cadets. She described the gear as just a flange stuck on a piece of plywood with a steel pipe screwed in. These planes were disposable. She said she probably held the record for the hundred yard dash after getting out of the plane.

She went by the name of Brownie and since I was flying full scale at the time I found out that many people including my flying instructor remembered her well and in some cases fondly. I knew more about her than was good for me to know, because one day I surprised her by using her given name. She stuck her fist right under my nose and threatened to flatten me if I ever called her that again! She was normally a very good natured person so I took her threat seriously.

Like I said, a bit off topic but the name Culver reminded me of her.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:41 AM
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
I can ask at the museum, also. I guess they have a pretty extensive library of stuff including plans/drawings...

James
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:06 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Peter, If you look up culver in this group, there is a build by Laddie Mikulasko [ I am sure I spelled that wrong] He has a set of three views there. I would create a link but I dont know how. Computer iliterate and poor spelling besides.

Marion
Last edited by sweptside; Nov 03, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 05:24 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
Hey deuce, were you ever able to find that copy of RCM?
Marion