HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
Blade BL, 450 DFC, TSA 600EPro
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
Discussion
Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli?

I am looking for the most stable and durable FP single rotor heli and have 3 in mind that I like: 1) Walkera CB180D, 2) Exceed RC Falcon Version 2, and my favorite so far because of its history... 3) the E-Sky Honey Bee Version 2 or V2. I am leaning towards the Honey Bee V2 not only because of the reliability factor, but also because I love speed and I love affordable parts. While it may seem that I have made up my mind, please opine because I am still very new to rc flying (hence my username) and absolutely need a second, third, etc. opinion.
Please note that I only have flown one other single blade heli... my baby; the E-Flite Blade mSR. I LOVE "her", but I need to practice on a bigger heli too! Thanks to all who contribute in advance!

~Helinewbie617
helinewbie617 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie617
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
honeybee fp, but keep in mind it will be alittle more of a challenge to fly and will take some work to be able to fly it as easy as the msr. I wouldnt overlook a simulator either, they pay for themselves hundreds of times over by the time a person can fly good.
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinewbie617 View Post
I am looking for the most stable and durable FP single rotor heli and have 3 in mind that I like: 1) Walkera CB180D, 2) Exceed RC Falcon Version 2, and my favorite so far because of its history... 3) the E-Sky Honey Bee Version 2 or V2. I am leaning towards the Honey Bee V2 not only because of the reliability factor, but also because I love speed and I love affordable parts. While it may seem that I have made up my mind, please opine because I am still very new to rc flying (hence my username) and absolutely need a second, third, etc. opinion.
Please note that I only have flown one other single blade heli... my baby; the E-Flite Blade mSR. I LOVE "her", but I need to practice on a bigger heli too! Thanks to all who contribute in advance!

~Helinewbie617
Most stable, durable and best made heli needing no mods would be the Hirobo Quark but its also the most expensive up front. Its the BMW of 4 channel single rotors and will cost less in the long run because it needs nothing to fly correctly, is very nimble and can really move like your MSR and is just as stable in hover but it really depends on your budget

Hirobo SRB QUARK flight (3 min 34 sec)

Hirobo SRB Quark Outdoor Antics (5 min 22 sec)
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Oct 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Walkera 180 has issues. Kinda, all Walkeras do. They're for tinkerers more than flyers.

I don't have data on the Exceed.

Just reading your title I was going to say MSR, but you're already looking beyond that. Quark might be more of the same thing for $100 more.

HBFP is anti-stable, in the air. Otherwise, it's a stable, mature platform. Rugged, simple. Nothing exotic ever goes wrong with it. I never spent more than 15 minutes and $5 putting mine back together. Stays challenging longer than anything else in its class. Satisfying to master. Oh, and then the tailmotor goes wonky and REALLY makes you work.

Right now I'm flying HBCP (same as HBFP except with CP head) with a wonky tailmotor. For the challenge. I've got spare tailmotors (they should sell them by the dozen like eggs).
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:40 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Exceed is typically a rebadged version of another copter. Not sure which one that is though. I know most are rebadged Walkeras. As far as stable, any of the copters with the 45* flybar will be more stable as that design is naturally more stable. Coming in the future is the Multiplex Funcopter. Nine Eales also makes some copters Kestrel, Free Spirit, with the 45* head.
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Exceed is typically a rebadged version of another copter. Not sure which one that is though. I know most are rebadged Walkeras. As far as stable, any of the copters with the 45* flybar will be more stable as that design is naturally more stable. Coming in the future is the Multiplex Funcopter. Nine Eales also makes some copters Kestrel, Free Spirit, with the 45* head.
Steve
The Exceed is a rebagged Walkera.....looks like a Walkera #4 to me.....same as the Venom Night Ranger FP
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Oct 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:09 PM
sacramento , CA
sacramento , CA
Joined Apr 2007
735 Posts
stick with esky and you wont have to spend much on repairs and learn much quicker..the hbfp is by far the best fp heli for your money...and most fun..tons of inexpensive mods as well.
newbie39 is offline Find More Posts by newbie39
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2008
222 Posts
I'd go with the Honeybee. I have the V1 and I still fly it even though there's nothing to learn from it anymore. The V2 just looks like it'll take even less damage then the V1 and it's got more power behind it which should help except you'll wanna make sure you duck out of the way that much better when you're learning. lol The Exceed Falcon is basically just a HBFP knock off anyway. Can't say much for the Walkera since I've never owned or flown one but I had a great time learning with the HBFP and I skipped co-axial completely.
green_one is offline Find More Posts by green_one
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:07 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
the mSR is quite easy to fly compared to the Honey Bee FP. I have flown mine for over a year and a half and still not good at it. did all kinds of mods and except brushless by the time you do all the upgrades you might be up to the Hirobo Quark SRB level in cost.

so if you like being in the bench and modding get the HBFP[cheap initially] If you enjoy flying more than modding and flying a stable heli get the Quark SRB

I got about a dozen videos of the Quark flying outdoors but not even a single HBFP video[yet].
I got mine pre-owned so I did not have to pay the premium price
check rgcroups "for sale" section or yrbuy.com for a new one

Hirobo SRB Quark "Farm Fly" (2 min 54 sec)
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
Awesome videos Xrayted! The pilot is the second video must be an expert... I wouldn't have attempted flying from so high up, much less being able to get it into my room and land it on the couch! I was going to buy the Walkera because of the main motor-driven tail motor, but now I am back to the Honey Bee V2 because of cost. Many thanks for your candid and honest opinion... I will still think about it though because with a name like Hirobo, it sounds Japanese and I would much prefer to buy something made in Japan than China on any given day! Too bad it's has a 72 mHz radio... I am used to the 2.4 GHz radios. Thank you once again!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Awesome videos Xrayted! The pilot is the second video must be an expert...
Yeah he's our local pro... so he's gonna make anything look good. Although the Quark is really good, you don't have to be an expert to fly it. But here's the same guy with a real heli
Electric Trex 700 Helicopter (4 min 42 sec)

I think you just fly the mSR for a while and wait for the FunCopter - it will be big enough to cruise around outside in 'more weather' than the Quark.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
At $350, the Quark will take me a while to be able to afford, but I think that my mSR will do for now. I still like the Honey Bee V2, but am not into fixing my helis after nearly every crash, so I guess the wait will be worth it! Thanks to all for your help! This thread will be open as long as anyone has an additional opinion, as I know how much this has already helped me.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
To Jasmine2501... Gees, how much foes Nathan charge for haircuts, lmao! It has been some time since I have seen a heli video like this! ...And that close to the ground, yikes! Ok... now I guess I will have to wait for the Funcopter. Who makes it, and will it be for sale around the same price as the Hirobo Quark? If anyone has any additional insight, I'd be way more than interested!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:42 PM
Pilot in Training
Monrovia, CA USA
Joined Nov 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
...I still like the Honey Bee V2, but am not into fixing my helis after nearly every crash...
I'm learning to fly single-rotor on a HBFP right now, and I feel that you are being mislead if you are being told that you need to fix it or have a bench session after every crash. I have indeed broken a couple of parts on mine (2x flybar link and 1x control frame), but the vast majority of the time you pick it up, dust it off, and fly it again. The few parts I have broken have each required about a 5-minute repair session, and have been quite easy to do in the field - literally.

I also do not understand the comments which state that the HBFP requires any sort of modification, for training use at any rate. Other than perhaps replacing the stock factory blades with improved aftermarket blades like the Superblade EZ/XP, mods would seemingly detract from the HBs robust and economical nature. To date, the cost of repairs on my V2 is $3.60 . Perhaps these kind of comments are in relation to fliers who have already mastered FP flight, and who are now pushing their helis harder than a newbie would and thus require DD tails and hotter motors.

I'm not trying to force my opinion, but am just trying to counter what I see as representations which are not entirely accurate in my admittedly limited experience.
Jeremymtc is offline Find More Posts by Jeremymtc
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
To Jasmine2501... Gees, how much foes Nathan charge for haircuts, lmao! It has been some time since I have seen a heli video like this! ...And that close to the ground, yikes! Ok... now I guess I will have to wait for the Funcopter. Who makes it, and will it be for sale around the same price as the Hirobo Quark? If anyone has any additional insight, I'd be way more than interested!
FunCopter is a Multiplex product. It's an updated version of the Lite Machines "Corona" - and it will be available in RTF and kit form. This means we'll probably have some people figure out a way to make it really nice, or really cheap, and possibly both - whenever it becomes available. It's been delayed for almost a year for some reason.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/models/kits/funcopter.php
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501