HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
Nanaimo
Joined May 2008
32 Posts
Discussion
2.4 How high can you go

Radio question,and I have a How High. I have been pushing my 2.4 Spectum 6100e higher and higher, up to 1400 feet, I have better recevers but I want to see how high these will go,has any one pushed these higher. I was told at the feild 6100e was only good for 300', so thats wrong, I looked on Spectrums site the don't realy give a number. I think its plane to see why I posted this on Thermal site
Spencer
Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Spencer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
The 6100e is classified as a 'park-flier' Rx, meaning that it is not guaranteed to go to limits of sight.

You're currently flying that Rx in it's "grey area" where it may still function, but it may be on the edge of it's reception envelope.

There is no absolute answer to your question until you fly your model out of range, then you'll know how far it'll go.

The only way to be sure you have FULL AUTHORITY over your model to the limits of sight and beyond is by using receivers labeled as 'full-range.'

Far too many people have lost models by flying 2.4 'park flier' Rx's beyond their capabilities. Don't be one of them.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
Far too many people have lost models by flying 2.4 'park flier' Rx's beyond their capabilities. Don't be one of them.
Amen brother... of all the things not to skimp on, especially in a sailplane!
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:28 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
The 6100e is classified as a 'park-flier' Rx, meaning that it is not guaranteed to go to limits of sight.

You're currently flying that Rx in it's "grey area" where it may still function, but it may be on the edge of it's reception envelope.

There is no absolute answer to your question until you fly your model out of range, then you'll know how far it'll go.

The only way to be sure you have FULL AUTHORITY over your model to the limits of sight and beyond is by using receivers labeled as 'full-range.'

What he said!!!
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:53 PM
Nanaimo
Joined May 2008
32 Posts
Still anyone have numbers, I don't care about the plane but I also don,t want to hurt anyone. 1000' feet is as far as I will go. but has anyone gone higher?
Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Spencer
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:38 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Summer of 2008, I flew my Futaba 2.4 6EX into a nice Cum cloud,a quick call to the local airport's flight sevice center confermed cloud base was 5,200ft.I had the fail-safe set to put it into a right hand spin with a loss of signal. While still somewhere in the cloud I manualy put it into a left handed spin,so I know I am good to near 6,000 ft with the Futaba. The other full range system's may be similar.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Still anyone have numbers, I don't care about the plane but I also don,t want to hurt anyone. 1000' feet is as far as I will go. but has anyone gone higher?

Do you have signposts in the sky delineating 1000' across??? Do the right thing and fly full range Rx's if you're going beyond small heli and foamy flying.

No numbers are publicly posted. Everything is an approximation because Brand X manufacturer doesn't want to get sued if an Rx advertised as a 7000' range Rx loses signal at 6000' for some odd reason.

Full range = See it, got it

Park Flyer = no more than a football field away
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
@ spencer get an ar500 full range I have specked out stuff past 100 inches with this, I would't do an ymore range testing with that 6100 your bound to lose it.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:15 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
6100e

I have to agree with my friends above. If you really want to be safe get a full range.I am going to install an AR6200 full range in my O3. It is just $20 more and puts my heart at ease. I went on line and googled range testing Spektrum 6100e receiver and found a guy that did a distance test on it. He was still good at 2 miles away! I have one in my Spirit 2 meter and have specked it out way up with the buzzards. I would not take it higher because I actually had a difficult time seeing the plane that high. In my 2 meter I don't think the receiver would be an issue, just my eyes!!

PP.
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:04 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
AR6100e range per Horizon Hobby support.

Quote:
Dear Gary,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby. We appreciate your interest in
our product and value any feedback you have.

I feel 400 yds. would be the maximum distance you would want to fly. Any
further you might want to consider a full range receiver such as a 6200.
Here is a link for information.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMAR6200

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Thanks,

Chris Brown

Product Support Technician

Horizon Hobby Distributors

4105 Fieldstone Rd.

Champaign, IL 61822

877-504-0233

productsupport@horizonhobby.com
I now use the AR500 on my 2m glider, even though I had no problems with the AR6100.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:47 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
I've measured 1952 feet AGL (RAM3 altimeter) with a slant range of about 2500 with an original AR6000 receiver. I am sure that I've had both planes even further away but have no objective confirmation. The AR6000 receiver is the original Spektrum receiver that was rated for park flyer use only. I think they recommended flying within 600 feet.

I have not had and don't know anyone who has had a range failure with any Spektrum receiver.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton