HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:24 PM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Outstanding work!

Quick question.

Do you bake as you go? Get a few layers on and then bake it a bit so that subsequent handling doesn't mess it up?

Then add more layers?

Thanks,
Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:32 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
No... I don't usually bake and add layers. Fresh "Sculpey" clay doesn't stick very well to the baked clay unless the baked clay has a lot of texture... a mechanical bond instead of chemical bond. I made one of my heads that way with a clay "skull"... I added a lot of texture to the skull so the fresh clay would grab. For models with separate heads (or other parts), I bake the head then work on the body so I am able to use the finished head to test the fit without smushing it.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:18 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
Warhead,
Thanks, I thought that's what you had used. I'll give it a try next pilot.
I'm like you, whatever works I use, spoons, plastic knives, nails.
I did break down and buy a set of cheap plastic clay sculpting tools and an clay "extruder" that came with several dies so I can extrude round and rectangular strips of various sizes.
http://www.sculpey.com/Products/prod...ss_claygun.htm

One more 1/12 scale WWI crew member to go I'm done for a while.
Now I have to build airplanes for all these pilots!!

Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,350 Posts
Warren,
Dimensions check out. I also printed full size cut outs and tried them in the cockpit. He'll fit just right.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:58 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy View Post
Warhead,
I did break down and buy a set of cheap plastic clay sculpting tools and an clay "extruder" that came with several dies so I can extrude round and rectangular strips of various sizes.
http://www.sculpey.com/Products/prod...ss_claygun.htm
Ivor
The extruder looks pretty useful... and I'm sure it would be easy to make more custom dies. Perfect for making belts, straps, cuffs, collars, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:49 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Awesome job guys! Love all the ideas you are sharing.
Warhead, that WWI pilot is very good, the face is what I imagine that type of pilot to look like can't wait to see it in paint, oil grit etc.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:34 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
This pilot really has character - like a British veteran.. Amazing how British he looks..

I remembered 'Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines'..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmutlugil View Post
This pilot really has character - like a British veteran.. Amazing how British he looks..

I remembered 'Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines'..

Bulent
Hehe --- he reminds me of the Grail Knight from Indiana Jones:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/in.../67/Knight.jpg
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:29 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Just got back from Dick Blick's, the art store. They don't carry the urethane expanding foam, and the silicone mold is pretty darn expensive. Might have to find an online source.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,981 Posts
Here's my dilemma. I like building model airplanes. I'd love to make some dummy pilots. Most of my models do not have pilots because most of what's offered are heavy and sometimes very ugly. I could use at least 4 or 5 busts. But for me to make a clay plug, make a mold, and make a part, not to mention running around trying to pick up the necessary materials is just too time consuming. That sounds a little screwy because I do the very same thing when making a fiberglass cowl,... plug, mold, part, materials. But you just can't do everything (I'd sure like to). Though I doubt I could make a decent clay pilot myself.

So, I'm wondering why don't one of you very talented "Clay Carvers" make a nice generic set of pilots in various sizes, civilian, WWII, WWI, and make a cottage industry of foam figures. Once the mold is made it would be very fast turnaround. The pilot wouldn't even have to be in extreme detail I'm seeing in this thread. Just something respectable, and light. Let the modeler paint them and add any minor detail as desired.

One of you talented guys think about it. Let me know when I can buy one. I have a list of pilots I need.

Fred
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-F...122/index.html

I think I'll get my supplies from here ^.

Fred, that's exactly what I plan to do. I have to offset the cost of my hobbies somehow!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
Fred,
The idea is OK but....
The major cost of each pilot figure is the time to research and make the master figure and the silicone to make the mold, everything else is relatively cheap.
Once a mold is made it's a couple of minutes to mix the foam and an hour to let it set.
The cost of making a wide variety of pilots and sizes can get pretty high. My 1/9th scale RAF pilot has about two hours of time to make and about $20 in silicone for the mold. So if I were to do Civilian, WWI, WWII, Jet , 1/16, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4 ,that would give me 28 to do which equals at least a solid week of work and $500 at least in materials. All on spec?
So, I don't think it's feasible that way.
It does make sense for someone to campaign for a particular pilot type and size and gather up a group order (say ten) to spread the cost and then for someone to make the master and mold and the individual pilots. That would get the cost down to around $10 for a small pilot and maybe $50 for a 1/4 scale full body pilot (plus shipping etc.) Once a mold was available the sculptor could make others as people requested them.
I certainly don't mind popping out a few of the 1/9 scale pilots I have and shipping them if I can get an order for a group of them and I was paid for the time and effort of making them and packaging and mailing them.

Ivor
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:44 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
Warhead and I were typing at the same time.
Maybe we can spread the effort around and have one person sculpt the WWI and another the WWII etc.
Personally,I don't have the time or interest in becoming a production shop. I started this thread to get people interested in the idea of making your own detailed pilots or making a few for friends. If someone is willing to try and get a mini-business going out of this I'll be happy for them.

I'm onto making foam radial engines.....

Ivor
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
I'm doing 1/8, 1/9, and 1/10 scale... WWI, Golden Age, and Between-the-Wars... I prefer open-cockpit bipes. I got interested in doing this because I wanted a realistic pilot for my 1/9 scale Curtiss Goshawk (under repairs after recent crash). Also, I've been a good boy this year and hope to get the new E-Flite PT-17 Stearman... so I'll use the same pilot for that.

The materials are expensive... so I'll make as many molds as I can with my initial supply and if it proves to be worth my time I might start taking requests. I'll keep making mine with removable heads so I can mix and match heads and torsos for a variety of choices.

Radial engines would be great... might use resin instead of foam though.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:23 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
You may want to check out here:

Polytek

or here:

Alumilite

for casting resins, foams and supplies.

Just a couple of bookmarks I had laying around.

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher