HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
New addition to the line 1/11 US Marine/Navy bust in honor of pappy.

Bare, the Bestpilots founder uses sculpey to make his pilots he did a nice article when he made his 1/4 scale RAF pilot. It's a good read.
http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_web...lor-malan.html

Matt
MPS86 is offline Find More Posts by MPS86
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
Full Body Pilot

Many people have requested a full body pilot in and around 1/8 scale. I casted one of the 1/8 WWII USAAF busts and John went to work. He started out with a epoxy core and was going to sculpt it in epoxy but was taking for ever to cure or was curing too fast. He switched to polymer clay and went a lot faster and got some great detail. Only problem is the clay breaks apart in the molds so you sometimes only have one shot to mold it. The pilot will be broken into three parts. Upperbody, arm, and legs. Hope you enjoy the pics. PM me if any one is interested in purchasing one

Matt
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Coming soon to your desktop computer:

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-first-3...m_medium=email
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,868 Posts
Imagine taking pictures all angles of what you want and having it created 3D. More examples related. Amazing.
http://www.wimp.com/creativeprinting/
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
There's a thread on the indoor and micro forum of a guy who has made a complete scale Wildcat by 3D printing on Shapeways. It's not perfected yet but he did get it to fly after fashion. Still a work in progress.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ellcat&page=10
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
Alright Everyone,
I figured I would give this full body pilot another shot. The first one was kind of a disaster as you can see in an above post, I was never happy with the way it turned out. It was too heavy too many pieces and just never looked right. So I thought of some changes that needed to be made and got john just as he was coming off a project and he wanted another shot as well.

We took the head that he already sculpted and cut it off the bust so we didn't have to re sculpt it. The pilot will come in three pieces lower body, upper body and the head. Same way Best Pilots does their pilots. It will be hollow so you can make the head turn if you were up for it. Scale size I'm not so sure about I say 1/9th but at the full size im just guessing. He will measure 3 inches from his seat to his head, and 3.5 inches from his rear to the heels. Should fit in a lot of the 1400mm planes I would think.

Check out some of out other pilots if you want. I am going to offer painted pilots and see how it goes these are a joy to paint they make a average painter look like a great painter. www.scalepilotsusa.com

Here are some pics for now of the start. It's roughed out so nothing exciting yet.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:57 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,908 Posts
Hey Matt, looking good. Can't wait to see him all done.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
CAD / CAM in Foam

I've been carving pilots by hand for a while, and I certainly DO NOT want to take a thing away from the VERY skilled sculptors on this thread, but this was just too cool and I've very excited about it and had to share.

This is a CAD drawing (in Sketchup) of a WWII pilot I drew up and it is scaled to be about 2 inch by 3 inch, it was milled with a 1/16 ball mill and it took about 1.5 hours total to cut, if I had to guess. I wasn't keeping track and I was doing other things at the time.

I'm guessing I'm going to make a few of these!
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:00 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,453 Posts
Hi Erik,
Nice job on both the Sketchup and the router.
As the originator of this thread, it's nice to see it's still going strong.
I've gone the opposite direction and I've used a 3D Printer to create a pilot.
However I must confess that the making one out of clay and then getting a mold and a really light foam pilot from the mold is still very quick and satisfying.
Sometime I must have a go at printing a mold using Sketchup.

Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Jan 01, 2014, 08:47 AM
long island,new york
Joined Jul 2009
316 Posts
I just purchased this 1/9 scale bust of pilot josef mai that I am going to attempt to cast in foam for a wwi Fokker d7 or halberstadt cl 2 I want to build. I hope it comes out good. if it does i'll make myself a couple.
waynek is offline Find More Posts by waynek
Old Jan 01, 2014, 06:00 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Wayne-- That's very nice looking. What's the source?

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303