HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
Painted Pilots

My brother just finished painting up the 1/12 pilot. Well almost just has to has to paint the metal clips on the other side of the mask. I dont think the mask is correct color but oh well still looks good. I am doing a little promo that if anyone who has ordered a pilot or who wants to can paint one and post it on rcgroups. Then we will have a poll and who ever has the best pilot will win a free pilot of there choice. I know right now there are only 2. There will be more though.

Matt
MPS86 is offline Find More Posts by MPS86
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:21 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamie4life View Post
Ha ha you could not be more right about that Thayer! The website stinks, trying to figure out how to make them enlarged. Funds are low so had to do the website myself and its a learning curve. It was more or less a easier way for people to order.

Ivor,
After reading the thread you couldn't be more right, hats off to everyone.

Cheers,
Matt
I understand the learning curve. I do my own site work too and sometimes it can be a pain.
I use Net Objects Fusion. It's a good program with a built in shopping cart. The latest version 12 sells for $199 but if you watch ebay you can find some of the earlier versions for as little as $12. Also when they create a new version they dump all their old stock on eBay for a nice discount.

I'm currently using version 8 so the old versions work fine. You can download a free trial from their site: http://netobjects.com/

My site is www.tailspinaviation.com and I'm just scratching the surface of what it can do.

Good luck with you business.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:47 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
Thanks Zach I am definitely going to check that out.

Matt
MPS86 is offline Find More Posts by MPS86
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I'm working on a crash test dummy right now and the symmetry is maddening. Sculpting organic things are so much easier than something man made. I guess it's good practice though.

Zach
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I'm going for the Vince and Larry look. I can't wait for the weathering. That should be fun. I won't sculpt any of the cracks into the model. I think I will scribe them in with a T-pin to the finished plastic casting.

Has anyone tried that water slide decal paper you can use with your printer. I was thinking of using that for the caution signs?

Zach
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,335 Posts
Hi Zach,

I've used waterslide decal paper quite a bit. Its very easy to work with, but I'll offer two pieces of advice. First, make sure you are completely happy with the graphics by printing on plain paper first--the decal paper is pretty hard to unprint. The colors will be more vibrant when printed on the glossy decal paper but the hues won't change much.

Second, let the ink dry completely before sealing with light coats of acrylic clearcoat. The ink will run otherwise, but after sealing in this way I haven't had any problems.

Good luck!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:29 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
I've used decals to represent facial features. Like my attached likeness of Otto Pilot.

Sorry for the garbage picture. I had already mounted him in my Stevens Aero micro Skybuggy 100 and you have no idea how difficult it is to get him to pose through the windshield while trying to take his picture with a cell phone!

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrancher View Post
Like my attached likeness of Otto Pilot.
Please, just don't show us a picture of you inflating Otto!

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Please, just don't show us a picture of you inflating Otto!
You can bet that ain't gonna happen!

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
Last edited by catrancher; Mar 31, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:08 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered some from eBay so we'll see how it turns out.

I just have a few touch ups to do on the head and then I'm going to call it good enough. This is probably one of the fastest figures I have made yet.

Zach
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:14 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Things have been a little quiet on here lately so I thought I would post a picture of my latest pilot. This is my finished crash test dummy complete with scuff marks, oil and grease. The water slide decals turned out well but the colors are a little muddy looking on the blue body.

Zach
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:23 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,269 Posts
that's a good one. I hope you add it to your line of pilots
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:22 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
that's a good one. I hope you add it to your line of pilots
It will be on my website by the end of next week. I have to recreate some of the decals. I lost them when one of my computers crashed.

Even worse all the files for my packaging was also on the same computer so right now all pilots are being dispatched without any nice packaging.

Zach
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I've been working with some smaller guys lately, around 1/14 scale.

I was having trouble with getting my armature to hold still at that scale so I did away with the aluminum foil and started sculpting a miniature skull to work off of. I bake the skull and that then becomes my armature. At this scale it seems to work much better.

The skull I have shown is one that I got a little carried away with. It's not necessary to start with that much detail but it can't hurt.

The finished pilot in the picture is going in a Fokker D.VII. I wanted a tough looking character for the job and nothing says tough like an eye patch. Then again nothing says not fit to fly like an eye patch. But in my little imaginary world pilots with eye patches are allowed.

In the back ground you may be able to make out my full size skull. It's a big help when it comes to getting the head shape right.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:36 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1 View Post
I wanted a tough looking character for the job and nothing says tough like an eye patch. Then again nothing says not fit to fly like an eye patch. But in my little imaginary world pilots with eye patches are allowed.
I guess that would be a "pirot" from mixing, as it were, a pilot and a pirate.

I think it's brilliant, a character straight out of the "Air Aces" and similar pulps of the '20's and '30's.
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE