HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1 View Post
I just realized I don't think I ever posted a finished picture of Impact Bob in this thread.

This was one of my first pilots and was more for fun than anything.

I hope to have my pilots on my website in about a week or less. I'm an engineering student and I'm waiting for finals to get over before I start to make the necessary changes to my site. It's never as easy as it should be.

If you have some spare time I'm hosting an Easter egg hunt on my website today and both prizes are still unspoken for.
www.tailspinaviation.com

Zach
That's pretty funny! Found your eggs around 7 last night and fired off the e-mails. Who won?
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:36 AM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2004
49 Posts
Mtflyr, seems the good details on a vacuum form pilot might be on the inside of the plastic. Pressing sculpey into the back of the form might yield a good place to start if you want to make your own figure. Never tried it. Just a thought.
All the best,
Josh
joshlindsay is offline Find More Posts by joshlindsay
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:37 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
That's pretty funny! Found your eggs around 7 last night and fired off the e-mails. Who won?
Try to forward that email to me again. I checked my in box and it wasn't there. You're in the running.
tailspin@tailspinaviation.com

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:37 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1 View Post
Try to forward that email to me again. I checked my in box and it wasn't there. You're in the running.
tailspin@tailspinaviation.com

Zach
Thanks! I tried a few more times. Hope at least one made it through. I checked the original e-mails and they were sent at 7:50 and 7:54pm. so that probably puts me out a bit.

Nice site though!
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,964 Posts
Hey Josh, Great minds think alike... I did try that but with regular Sculpty. I'll need to try the pink. I got the gray but it's too hard.

I like making my own molds and I posted some of my Vac formed pilots back on page two of this post when it started in 2009.

Vac formed pilots are very light but again details are lost. I'm going to give your method a try in 2009 Skylake posted some pretty good 1:18 scale WWII pilots in this post.

Thanks,

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:15 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Warhead, that's the most gorgeous scratch-built pilot figure I've ever seen! Great job!

What I've done, as Pete told, is that I've modeled my pilots in 3d software (Softimage XSI and Zbrush) and I've ordered them as 3d prints from Shapeways, which is a rather new dutch 3d printing company, as well as other decoration parts for my planes, to make them look more scale. These models were originally made for my 25e Mustang series, but as a request from Pete, I've tried to scale them into 1:28 scale (same as Parkzone Ultra-Micro P-51D). They turned out pretty good. But I really need to try to print them out with the just released Shapeways ultra-detail material, which looks to have even more accuracy than my earlier prints (which Pete also got). And more pilots are of course planned. I'm just about to start modeling another one (a Russian pilot for Pete).

As the scale goes up, the Shapeways price goes up exponentially, since 3d printing costs are based on the volume of the object. And it ain't too cheap. This is why I've been thinking of trying to make resin casts out of my models. I really need to take a closer look on this thread. It seems to have tons of good stuff!

Good thing about Shapeways is that the models are not just for me. I've been able to offer them to anyone interested. Quite a lot of people have been pretty happy with them, even if they ain't the cheapest. But hey, how many has actual 3d printed pilots? (And don't worry, I've kept my own share of the price real low. I haven't even covered my test prints yet...)

Here's more info on my models.

- Toni / Lupus
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Last edited by Lupus78; Apr 26, 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
One 3D print is all you would need and then make a mold of that. You could then make resin copies for well under $1 each. The resin is only about $0.03 per cc but you have to factor in the cost of molds.

I guess the advantage you have over the rest of us is that you can very accurately make your models any scale you want.

They look great by the way. I see why people don't mind paying a little extra.

Zach
Last edited by Tail Spin1; Apr 26, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:09 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Thanks.

I really need to look more into these more "traditional" ways of doing things. I only started this whole RC hobby last summer. I had wanted to try out the 3d printing for a long time and with RC planes I finally got a really good excuse for making some models for printing. Good thing about Shapeways stuff is also that it's pretty durable, and not too heavy. So they can actually be used in RC planes, not just as molds. But especially for larger scale the need for cheap copies becomes a bigger issue, as the price would get otherwise pretty high.
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:41 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Well this isn't a pilot but I thought some might find it interesting.

Sometimes I mix up to much resin when casting a pilot so I have been using it to cast some pilot wings.

They turn out better than I thought. A little brass spray paint and a pin on the back and they are ready to give to little kids at the field.

Zach
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:46 PM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2004
49 Posts
I posted earlier about having trouble with goggles. This is my solution and it works fine for me. I wanted to have them separate so I could have the option of where to place them.
I started with a shape that I scanned from a photograph. I mirrored half the image so that both sides would be identical. Working on something flat, I CA'd a thin strip of paper on its edge to form the lenses. I put a very small bit of sculpey around this to form the pad of the goggles. Then I cooked it to harden it. I brushed on some silicone and then put something flat on top to make the backing of the mold flat. Pictures will make this clear I think.
Now I just spray a little plasti-dip coating onto the form and then wipe it with a razor blade across the top so the coating is only in the grooves of the form. A couple of layers and then time to dry and its done.

I know....I know.... Way too much time for a little detail!
joshlindsay is offline Find More Posts by joshlindsay
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:39 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlindsay View Post
I posted earlier about having trouble with goggles. This is my solution and it works fine for me. I wanted to have them separate so I could have the option of where to place them.
I started with a shape that I scanned from a photograph. I mirrored half the image so that both sides would be identical. Working on something flat, I CA'd a thin strip of paper on its edge to form the lenses. I put a very small bit of sculpey around this to form the pad of the goggles. Then I cooked it to harden it. I brushed on some silicone and then put something flat on top to make the backing of the mold flat. Pictures will make this clear I think.
Now I just spray a little plasti-dip coating onto the form and then wipe it with a razor blade across the top so the coating is only in the grooves of the form. A couple of layers and then time to dry and its done.

I know....I know.... Way too much time for a little detail!
I have a perfect pilot for the Rake 1/8 Stahlwerk that you're working on.
I should have replicated him, before putting the glasses on. I've never used the silicone molding process, but there's a first time for everything.

Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jun 2011
8 Posts
Pilot tests

Here are my tests at sculpting some original pilots. I loosely based them on 1/7th scale pilots. The second image is after I took a sculpting class and focused more on realistic proportions, anatomy, etc. I'm also experimenting with various molding and casting techniques... more to come.
ToddMerrill is offline Find More Posts by ToddMerrill
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMerrill View Post
Here are my tests at sculpting some original pilots.
Very nice, Todd, but why are they so sad/angry? Flying is fun!!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
They aren't angry, the sun is in their eyes.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
nice job Todd, are you planing on doing anything commercially with them? i have not seen any pilots in 1/7 scale and have been looking as i have a bit of a project on the go at the moment where a 1/7 WWi pilot and gunner will be needed down the track.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps