HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:11 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
2 cents worth, and that's about all. I bought a fish aquarium pump and splurged on the little larger 2 valve one. I hook it up with the intake to the bag/chamber. It really sucks the air out, but not super fast. Don't know what pressures, etc, but I get a good bagging on glass work. Just got to watch that you do not suck glues, silicone, and other liquids into the tubing.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2004
49 Posts
Joe, I use a brushable silicone from smooth-on called mold max stroke. I make a two part mold using clay. I've never had a problem with bubbles and I've gotten pretty good at minimizing mold lines. It has taken some practice though.
joshlindsay is offline Find More Posts by joshlindsay
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:25 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
2 cents worth, and that's about all. I bought a fish aquarium pump and splurged on the little larger 2 valve one. I hook it up with the intake to the bag/chamber. It really sucks the air out, but not super fast. Don't know what pressures, etc, but I get a good bagging on glass work. Just got to watch that you do not suck glues, silicone, and other liquids into the tubing.

Fred
I have tried using a vacuum bagger that was made for food. It pulled a little bit of a vacuum but not close to what I need for silicone.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:35 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
There has been some talk on here lately about casting separate goggles so I though I would post some pictures of my past experiments.

In the pictures below my 1/12 scale pilot is wearing a set of removable goggles and oxygen mask. Both are cast with a flexible polyurethane plastic.

The flexible nature of the rubber allows the goggles to conform nicely to both his face or the top of his head. They are very hard to cast though. Only about 1 out of 4 casting turn out right. I have trouble with the resin not fully filling the mold. Centrifugal casting maybe?

Zach
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:37 AM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2004
49 Posts
My attempts at painting a few. Quite close up and small at about 1/18th scale so as you say tailspin, all the blemishes show up well.
I got some sculpey firm and will try to do goggles next.
Josh
joshlindsay is offline Find More Posts by joshlindsay
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:03 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
Good looking pilots there. It helps to use Q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol to smooth the Sculpey before you bake it.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:24 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,332 Posts
Nice! Sometimes I feel pretty good about a pilot I sculpted but then when the paint goes on he'll look clownish. It doesn't look like you have that problem.

I really love the Russian guy that you've done.

Paul
Longhorne is online now Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:32 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Josh and Warhead,
Awesome stuff thanks for posting. I'd love to try it but right now I'm into micro birds and the scale pilots need to be 1/32 -1/24 size pretty small to get those great details you guys are doing.

Keep up the great work.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:26 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Help!

You guys inspired me to give this a whirl.So I stopped by WalMart last night and picked up some Crayola air-dry clay just to play with. I've never sculpted before but, it turns out I may have discovered a small bit of hidden talent.

HELP! I like it more than I thought I would. I sat down at 10:00pm and started with Fingers, Q-tips a pocket knife and a small glass of water. Five hours later I really like what I've done. My first "real" kit will be here tomorrow (other than a couple itty bitty Guillows I've built) it's a 1/6 scale Morse S-4C and I think this fellow might fit? Now idea what scale he is, about 3-3 1/2" tall, and the kit has a 53" WS. Either way, someday I might have something he'll fit in. Not tooting my own horn but, I like this pilot better than 99% of the ones my LHS's carry.

Here's the issue; how can I cast this fellow? Even if it's a "one time" mold I really want to keep this guy. I'm rather proud of him lol. I like the wind tusseled hair, kinda adds "action" and I think a real cloth scarf added would just be dandy. I need to let it dry, make some goggles and pray it holds up.

Maybe try to vacuum model it? I've seen stuff at Micheal's that supposedly can be put on a babies hand or foot and mold it successfully. Would that work?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT: Warhead, didn't mean to jump in like this in your thread. I was so excited I wasn't thinking straight. If it's an issue I can delete it ASAP.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Last edited by Buzzkill2; Apr 06, 2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Common sense kicked in.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:19 AM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Note on above photos: I used PS to resize the pictures but, that's it. No idea why it looks like he has blue eyes. That's wet kids clay without anything on it. Weird. Maybe im seeing things and need sleep?
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:20 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
Looks great Buzzkill. You should try "Super Sculpey" instead of the air-dry stuff... it's much more workable, gives a smoother surface, and it won't harden until you bake it in the oven... so you can stop/start a project. For casting a model, I use the Alumilite casting kit. It has everything you need... the silicone for the mold, and resin for the model. The silicone in their starter kits does not require vacuum pumps or any special equipment. The resin is a 2-part mixture... juts mix it up according to the instructions and pour it in the mold... it sets up in a few minutes.

The also have a lot of "how-to" videos:

http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

I make my models using "rotational casting" or "slush casting" to make a hollow, lightweight casting:
http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos/SlushCasting.cfm

I do not fill my hollow resin castings with expanding foam as they suggest. These models are small enough that they do not really require it.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:52 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Hey BuzzK2

Geat job... I knew I saw that guys somewhere before

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Hey BuzzK2

Geat job... I knew I saw that guys somewhere before

Pete
Lol! Could be the same guy a bit older with a mustache.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:30 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
BuzzKill,
Nice job, my first few weren't even good enough to keep. I just smooched them back up and started again.

The stuff I use for making molds and castings is similar to what Warhead uses, just sold under a different name. Just make sure the silicone mold material you get doesn't need to be degassed. (Fancy term meaning have the air bubbles sucked out of it.)

There are a lot of good videos on You Tube about mold making and casting. There are even tutorials on sculpting the human form. Look back a few pages and you'll find my favorite.

The one thing I wish I knew when I started was that silicone will not stick to anything but its self. The people I bough my material from forgot to mention that last part and my two part mold ended up being one solid chunk of silicone.

My grandpa use to tell me that we learn more from failure than we do from success.
I wonder how many Ph.D's I qualify for?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
First stab at scupting some pilots.

Quote:
Good looking pilots there. It helps to use Q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol to smooth the Sculpey before you bake it.
Wish I had read the above BEFORE I baked. Oh well, Sculpty's cheap.

This is my first stab at these. Not terrible, but certainly not up to the standard others have achieved here.

I needed a pilot and gunner for my new Windrider Dauntless SBD project. Previously I had purchased some 1/18th figures but they were much too small. I was unable to find anything I liked in the 1/10 range so I took a shot.

The first guy turned out too big, about 1/8 or so, so I just painted him up to see what the finished product might look like. It was ok, so I made a couple more a bit smaller. I think I got the scale correct, but I'll have to give that "smoothing" technique a try.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, but special thanks to Warhead for the inspiration. Hope I can get to a point where mine are even a fraction as good as yours.
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs