Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Wow Joe, you're a little more high tech that the rest of us. Sounds nice though.

Josh, I use a mix of Sculpey Firm and Super Sculpey for most of my pilots. All types of Sculpey are compatible so you can mix and match to find the mix that's just right for you.

You are right about Super Sculpey being to soft for small scale work though. At small scale it's like sculpting with chewing gum, except it doesn't taste as good.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:02 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I want to warn anyone working with Sculpey not to leave it set on furniture or anything plastic for a long period of time. There is a solvent in the clay that will dissolve varnish and some types of plastic.

I found a piece of Sculpt stuck to the bottom of my keyboard a few days ago and it had been there for well over a week and had started to dissolve the plastic under and around it.

A few weeks back I dropped a small piece of Sculpey on the floor and stuck it to the side of my computer desk without thinking. I didn't notice it for about another week and it had dissolved the varnish under it.

I know most people probably aren't as forgetfully or absent minded as me but it is something to be careful of. It does seem to take a long time to do any damage.

Zach
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:28 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
My latest. For Hammerd's 1/6 scale DVa Albatros:
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Aug 21, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2004
49 Posts
Joe, since I mostly work with clay and a toothpick, that all sounds pretty cool.
Beautiful work Warhead.
Josh
joshlindsay is offline Find More Posts by joshlindsay
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Very nice, warhead_71.
You are an artist.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:50 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
beautiful job. he will look right at home in the Albi.
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Nice! Will the lower legs even be seen? Or is the extra weight negligible? Looking forward to seeing it painted up and in the plane.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
949 Posts
Very nice.I like the contrast between the different colors.The figure has a nice Snidely Whiplash look about him.I am reading a very good book called Chasing Icarus, The seventeen days in 1910 that changed american aviation. The first Balloon and Airplane races in America.Your pilot looks like he stepped off the pages of the book.Joe
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:25 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
That is insane!
There are even treads on the bottom of his shoes.

I know how hard it is to sculpt a bust. It makes my head spin to think how hard it is to sculpt a full body and get the proportions just right.

How many parts will you cast him in?

Zach
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:42 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of talented people this hobby has.

Great work!
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:50 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1 View Post
That is insane!
There are even treads on the bottom of his shoes.

I know how hard it is to sculpt a bust. It makes my head spin to think how hard it is to sculpt a full body and get the proportions just right.

How many parts will you cast him in?

Zach
He is built in 7 pieces: 2 arms, 2 legs from the knee down, torso with lap, head, goggles. The most difficult part to cast will probably be around the coat collar... there is a lot of recessed area behind the lapels and collar that might need to be filled a little to prevent voids in the silicone mold.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
... there is a lot of recessed area behind the lapels and collar that might need to be filled a little to prevent voids in the silicone mold.
You may be OK for the most part. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures though.
I'm always surprised at the undercuts I'm able to get away with when using silicone. The only thing I worry about is silicone getting trapped under something deep It won't pull out from or if it will pull out but is going to produce a section of the mold that is so thin it won't last but a few castings before it tears off.

Zach
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:49 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
949 Posts
Do you guys cut your molds or make them in two parts?If you cut them vacuming the silicone helps eliminating air bubbles. Joe
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistairjoe View Post
Do you guys cut your molds or make them in two parts?If you cut them vacuuming the silicone helps eliminating air bubbles. Joe
I use all two part molds. The only cut mold I made was when I forgot to spray my mold with a release agent before pouring the second part. That was quite a surprise when I tried to separate the two halves.

I use Oomoo 30 from Smooth On which is a thinner silicone that doesn't require vacuum degassing.

I'm sure degassing would still help and I have looked into it but the vacuum chambers and pumps are expensive even on eBay.

If you have a large air compressor you can buy a relatively inexpensive vacuum pump that is driven from compressed air but it takes a large compressor to drive it.

I have herd of people making their own vacuum chambers from old pressure cookers and fitting them with 1/2" thick lexan lids but I have also herd of some of those chambers failing when the lexan gives way because of stress fractures from repeated use.
I really wouldn't want to be around something like that when it failed because an implosion can be as bad as an explosion.

Good advice though for people who want to get into this a little deeper.

Zach
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:04 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Alumilite brand doesn't require de-gassing or release agent. I got the large starter kit... it works as advertised. I rotation-cast my pilots so they are hollow like Williams Brothers pilots.