HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:59 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
Here's a early WW2 US Army pilot I made the other day while watching "Great Planes" on the Military Channel. Just the Sculpey model for now... I still need to order more casting resin to make copies. This guy is 2.75"W x 1.75"L x 3"H ... or about 1/9 scale. He should be just the right size for my Eflite Stearman, or Goshawk (once it gets repaired). Once painted, I'll fill the goggles with epoxy so it looks like they have lenses.

The head is posable... I might make an alternate head so I can resuse the torso and fill both cockpits in the Stearman.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:09 AM
Sverige, Skåne Län, Malmö
Joined Sep 2010
29 Posts
Hi Warhead 71!

Great pilot!!

And nice looking fur on the collar !

Cheers!
seejay
seejayswe is offline Find More Posts by seejayswe
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:16 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
Making "wool" is pretty easy. I use two methods, one for large areas and one for details and edges: The first is to use toothbrush... you simply dab the bristles lightly into the clay and it gives it an upward flick as you pull them out --- makes a nice bumpy texture. This is good for large areas but you don't have a lot of precision near the edges. For smaller areas I use a broken popsicle stick. Just snap the wood over the sharp edge of a table so you get a nice splintered edge and use that edge like a comb to "push and lift" the clay. The stick gives you a lot of precise control -- much better than a toothbrush. -- but it takes awhile to do a large area.

The goggles were a pain in the @$$. I added them and the strap details after I half-baked the head... so I didn't mess up the head as I pushed the goggles into place.

I actually made a few paper templates (folded in half for perfect symmetry) that I overlaid on the model as I molded them... made life a lit easier than trying to get that teardrop shape by just eyeballing it.

For wrinkles in the clothes, I use various diameter plastic drinking straws and I roll wrinkles into the "fabric". Start with the larger sized straws for a couple of dramatic "folds", then come in afterwards with a smaller straw for little stress wrinkles. It adds a lot of realism when you add lots of little wrinkles near seams and around joints like elbows, shoulders, armpits, and across the seams in the leather helmet.

P.S. - his face is loosely modeled after "Pappy" Boyington.

http://www.nostalgicaviation.com/New.../Boyington.jpg
Last edited by warhead_71; Dec 08, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:22 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Youngstown, PA 15696
Joined May 2002
478 Posts
Awesome work Warhead. Now how about those 1/9 Stuka pilots for the Hyperion 35E bird?....
Pilot_Tony is offline Find More Posts by Pilot_Tony
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:10 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
I actually do want to do a whole series of early WW2 1/9 pilots. Busts only... not full body. A Stuka pilot might be just the thing.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:30 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Warhead, I really like the expressions on your pilots faces. It really gives them a personality. that's something I need to work on. Some of mine look a little catatonic.

The goggles look good.
I'm trying something new. I have some left over polyurethane rubber from another project and I decided to see if I could make goggles and oxygen masks using the black rubber.
They turned out pretty well. I'm in the process of painting them now. The parts are so thin that the black rubber was transparent. I'll post pictures after I'm done.

Here is a picture of my latest pilot. He is 1/16 scale and weighs in at 3 grams.
Painting the eyes were the biggest challenge since they are only about 1mm across. I found that the easiest way to paint them was actually not to paint them. I took a damp paint brush and wiped away the paint in the eye socket to reveal the white resin beneath. Then I just used small pieces of music wire dipped in paint to add the pupils.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
Cocking and turning the head to one side and making one eye a bit squinty or a half-smile helps give the guy a bit of character... remember that most times you're looking out over the wing of the the plane and not straight ahead, so don't point the heads straight forward unless he's looking down the gun-sights.

Yep - the goggles are always a pain in the butt. I never can decide whether I want the goggles up or down, but making them a separate piece seems like a lot of work, and they either fit the contours of the face or the smooth forehead of the helmet -- so I might as well just make them part of the sculpture.

Those tiny pilots look great... sure looks like fidgety work painting the little facial features.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:25 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Thanks for the tips Warhead.

Yelp, painting was a pain. It takes quite a while to paint something that small because the paint has to be thinned down with water. Full strength paint will cover some of the fine details and add a rough texture. So it takes a few thin cotes to get the job done. And there is no way I could do it all in one setting without my eyes popping out.

Zach
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:08 AM
Sverige, Skåne Län, Malmö
Joined Sep 2010
29 Posts
New Year

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards
seejay
seejayswe is offline Find More Posts by seejayswe
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:06 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
Wire goggles with lenses

Here's my "MacGuyver" goggles, made from a paperclip, white glue, and piece of clear packing tape. First, I folded a piece of paper in half and drew one goggle along the fold line, then cut it out and unfolded it to give me a symmetrical pattern. Next I bent a paperclip to carefully follow the shape of my pattern -- joining at the nose. A pair of small round-nose pliers makes the job pretty easy. Once the flat pattern is done, I hold the middle of the goggles with a pair of needle-nose and bent the temples back to follow the curve of the head. Using a small bead of white glue, I "caulk" the goggles to the face of the pilot. Use a toothpick to push the glue around if it smears. After the goggles are tacked in place, carefully caulk in some more glue until the goggles are fully sealed against the face. It may take 2-3 passes to get a full seal. The glue dries clear, so don't worry too much about small imperfections. Once the frames are securely glued and dried, cut a strip of clear packing tape an lay it over the frames... you may have to pre-cut a slot for the nose so the tape will lay flat on the frames. Use a sharp Xacto knife to trim away the excess. Viola' - realistic goggles with lenses.
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Packing tape, now why didn't I think of that!

Nice job, now lets build an ultralight from some bamboo, duck tape and a boat motor.

Zach
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Warhead,
That is some great info on making goggles that I can use. I have a question for you or anyone reading this thread. I need to make the seatbelts or parachute straps for my 1/6 scale pilot. I want to make it out of material cloth or similar so they are actually loose and I can secure them over my pilots shoulders. I did make the triangle shackle similar to the goggles with paper clip. Now the actual straps. Any ideas? how about silk or silkspan for an idea? The edges fray on some materials.
Thanks
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
wide shoelaces:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._shoelaces.jpg

or better, elastic ribbon from the fabric shop:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/459036...astic_band.jpg
Last edited by warhead_71; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:24 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Wow, that is excellent. It always pays to ask question in the Groups. Thanks for the fast reply. I am trying to get my cockpit detailing done on my Bf-109G-6. This is going to help alot. By the way, your work is superb.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
Neons, I sure wish we lived closer. Seems like we share an interest in similar planes and building techniques. Is that an 84 Goldwing for your avatar? I have a "naked" 78 GL1000. Great old bikes.