HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:59 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1 View Post
This is my favorite set of videos. She makes it look so easy. http://www.youtube.com/user/creagers...10/xo4COOhPk3k
Zach
This series of video's, is one of the 'learning aids' I use, to perfect some of my own techniques for sculpting small figures ect. Thanks for posting the link.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:43 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
My rotational caster is almost done but I smoked a rheostat that I was going to use as a speed controller. I was pulling about 18 Watts and after I checked out the back of the rheostat I noticed it was only rated at 5 Watts, Oops. Guess I better get a bigger one.

The entire wooden frame is made from an old shipping pallet that I rescued from a burn pile. It's not that I'm cheep I just can't stand to see people chop down forest to build shipping pallets, use them once and then burn them.

The bearings are small 608 models that are intended for a skate board. They were an eBay find. I think I gave a little over $1 each for them including shipping for a package of 8.

The leather belt came from a sewing machine shop and was intended for old Singer treadle machines. It was much cheaper than the modern alternative at only $8 for a 6' length.

I made my own pulleys from plywood.

For them motor I'm going to use an old cordless drill. Last summer this drill fell off a ladder while I was repairing my greenhouse. The handle snapped off on impact. I knew I would eventually find a use for it so I stuck it on a shelf. I'm powering it with a 12 volt AC adapter so I won't have to worry about batteries.

I guess I'll have to wait for my order from Digi Key to arrive before I can finish the machine. I'll probably go ahead and mount a crank to it so I can still use it in the mean time.
I feel like a kid with a new toy but no batteries to run it.
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Last edited by Tail Spin1; Oct 04, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:23 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,465 Posts
Tailspin,
Nice looking roto-molder,should work really well. glad to see my pulley/rotary motion concept taken up by someone else, that's the idea of these threads.

Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:20 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
The first place I ever saw the belt method work was on a small caster on Youtube.
But your model proved to me that it would work on a larger machine. I was worried about the belt slipping.

DIY Roto-molding machine (5 min 36 sec)

Thanks for the inspiration and reassurance. I can't believe more people don't go with this method instead of using a set of right angle gears. Belts may not be as efficient but they are so much more forgiving when it comes to alignment.

I've almost decided to scrap the drill motor and see if I can find an old electric ice-cream mixer at the local flee market. An electric motor from one of those would be perfect, low speed and high torque. I can probably even find a new on clearance this fall cheaper than I can get a 25 watt rheostat.

Zach
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:12 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I just found these neat tools. Their called sanding needles.
Their used by plastic kit modelers to sand away mold lines.
I haven't gotten to use them much yet but so far they look like their going to work well for sanding away small defects and mold lines.

I got a variety pack from CJ Hobbies on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Assorted-Sanding...item2a0ac6aae3
It was the best deal I found and only $2.00 Shipping.

Their really nice folks. I ordered some Milliput too and it was dried up. I contacted them about it and they shipped me a new one right out along with a $10 gift certificate.

Zach
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:16 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Still playing around with my rotational casting machine. I've temporarily mounted a crank to it until I get the motor ready.

I had to switch to a larger set of pulleys. The smaller ones didn't have enough contact area with the belt and the belt was slipping.

Here is a video of today's test run. I was able to cast four molds at once. I use a large 60 cc syringe to mix and disperse the resin.

So far so good.
$20 Rotational Casting Machine (1 min 1 sec)

Zach
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sverige, Skåne Län, Malmö
Joined Sep 2010
29 Posts
Hi Tailspin!

I'm about to start casting in PU-resin / polyfoam.

I think Your device looks great, so I plan
to copy it,.....hope You don't mind,.....

Regards
seejay
seejayswe is offline Find More Posts by seejayswe
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:16 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seejayswe View Post
Hi Tailspin!

I'm about to start casting in PU-resin / polyfoam.

I think Your device looks great, so I plan
to copy it,.....hope You don't mind,.....

Regards
seejay
Not at all. That's why I love these boards. I get to borrow other people's ideas and also share my own.

I've been casting with Feather Lite by Smooth On. It works well for larger figures but when I get down to 1/12 I have trouble with small bubbles forming. I hate to switch to a different plastic because this one is so light and I'm sure the detail is better than expanding foam. I think I'll keep my eye open for a vacuum pump at local auctions and maybe try vacuum degassing to pull out the bubbles.
Commercial degassing pumps are way to expensive though.

Zach
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:43 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I think I'm going to try a different type of resin. I've been using Feather Lite by Smooth On and when it works its great but it usually doesn't' work. I like it because it is so light weight, only about half the weight of other resins but I have been having trouble with bubbles in my castings.

I have emailed both the manufacturer and the company I bought the product from to see if degassing would help. It's been almost a week and so far no answer from either. I'm going to take that as a no.

Feather Lite is almost like a mix between a heavy foam and a plastic so I'm going to assume this is just a property of the material.

I'm thinking about trying Smooth On's Smooth-Cast 305. It's suppose to give a bubble free casting and is water thin so will get into the details of my smaller pilots better.

Below is a casting of a small RAF pilot I did yesterday with the Feather Lite. He's about 1 1/8" tall and looks like he's been shot up with all the holes in him.

What casting material are you guys using?

Zach
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I'm not using foam, I am using resin. That's why some of us use the rotational casting machine... it spreads the resin evenly around the inside of your mold for a hollow figure when it's done. Same as the Williams Brothers dummy pilots. It might not be quite as lightweight as foam, but the replication is perfect.

I bought the Super Casting Kit from Alumilite:
http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cf...Starter%20Kits

I've used up all my silicon rubber formula but have lots of resin formula left over... need to get back into the fray.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,381 Posts
warhead_71, me thinks you need to try a German WWI pilot this time.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Oh I'm getting there...

I actually want to make an entire upgrade kit for the Eflite Stearman... pilot(s), carb intake snorkel, and a "scale" Lycoming or Continental engine. Love the plane, but hate the lack of details...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
One of the tricks I learned, was to make an 'armature' or frame, out of styrofoam, carved to the basic shape of a torso or head, ect. and apply a thinnish layer of polymer clay over it, and then sculpt the fine details. I used an old toaster oven to bake the figure with the foam still inside till cured, in a well ventilated area, I never noticed any harsh smell or fumes at all. Once it's complete it is pretty light and can be painted and sealed.
This is where I learned this technique:
http://www.intuitionkitchenproductio...gures/process/
MAKING-OF an ACTION FIGURE (3 min 56 sec)
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:50 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Aluminum foil makes a better armature... and no worries about fumes.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
Sverige, Skåne Län, Malmö
Joined Sep 2010
29 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm using alu-foil, and find it rather neat.

As casting concerned I use a 2-part Polyurethane resin from a
Swedish dealer. http://www.kinn.com/

I think it's origin is French. ( sorry about that...hehe )

Regards
seejay
seejayswe is offline Find More Posts by seejayswe