Outstanding job! You have the skills!
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:41 PM
LilliputianPilotSolutions
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
I just happened upon this thread and the work you guys are doing is TERRIFIC!

After going through much if not all the same travails of a rather steep learning curve... I can say that your efforts are paying off and the results are really impressive. Figuring out how to mold and then discovering the warts... working around those warts or figuring another way is a real challenge.

I'm not producing pilot casts any longer but I continue to sculpt... which will more than likely result in a joint venture for commercial availability.

Cheers one and all... I'm following along with great interest!

BOOMER52
BOOMER52 is offline Find More Posts by BOOMER52
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:09 PM
leicestershire uk
Joined Sep 2006
373 Posts
I finally started to get the hang of the sculpey, Here is may latest effort.

Glenn
glenn7e is offline Find More Posts by glenn7e
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,445 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread is still alive and well. I must say the skills shown by people are outstanding. When I started the thread it was to encourage people to have a go at creating unique pilots and that has happened in a great way.
Very nice to see it happen.

Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
243 Posts
Glenn, you really have a great hang of the sculpey, that pilot looks fantastic !
moocowfish is offline Find More Posts by moocowfish
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:05 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
I found this free link for a book on modeling the human figure in clay. It is specified as a long-time bestseller, maybe the original book can be found as well. I have not downloaded it yet - trying..

http://ebook30.com/graphic-design/gr...aft-books.html

For downloading, free registration with ebook30 is necessary. I have no problems with my registration.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Since this thread is still alive and well I'm going to start posting my new pilots here.

If you want to see what I've done so far you can check out this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263305

I thought I would show my new favorite mold making method.

I was watching a video on You-Tube where a kid was making a mold of some model car parts and he was using Lego's to make the mold form. I originally thought this was a silly idea but the more I thought about it the more I like it.

I build the Lego mold up a few layers at a time and add the clay as I go. This is much easier than trying to smooth out clay down inside a mold. Plus if anything goes wrong I can blame the little Lego guy.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:53 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
The clay has been removed and now the Lego walls can be built back up and the second half of the mold can be poured. Just don't forget to spray with a mold release agent first. Silicone won't stick to many things but it will stick to its self. I found that one out the hard way.

Zach
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:18 AM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
243 Posts
Hey SP1
great idea with the lego, ive never thought of that !
Do your kids know ?
can't wait to see the next step...
Rob
moocowfish is offline Find More Posts by moocowfish
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:54 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Looks great Zach. I have a huge bin of Legos too, so I'll be borrowing this idea.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:38 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,338 Posts
Perfect! My kids just grew out of Legos. This might the last six years of stepping on them in bare feet worth it.
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Youngstown, PA 15696
Joined May 2002
474 Posts
Hey Warhead,

We could sure use some 1/9 scale Luftwaffe busts for the Hyperion Stuka. Pilot and gunner will do just fine

Regards,

Tony
Pilot_Tony is online now Find More Posts by Pilot_Tony
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:52 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_Tony View Post
Hey Warhead,

We could sure use some 1/9 scale Luftwaffe busts for the Hyperion Stuka. Pilot and gunner will do just fine

Regards,

Tony
YEah,... and I'd love to make them. I'm deep in the middle of house renovations and spend all my spare time running electrical and hanging drywall these days. Maybe in a couple of months I'll get back in the action.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Impact Bob's cast came out well. The silicone even captured the detail on his teeth and the uvula at the back of his mouth. Next to the white plastic copy is the clay original.

He came out at about 30 grams but I think I can get that weight down. I haven't painted one yet.
He has a 1/5 scale head which is on a 1/7 scale body. I did that to create a cartoonish look.

Zach
Last edited by Tail Spin1; Aug 21, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:51 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
This is a 1/11 scale RAF pilot that I'm working on. He's dressed in Battle of Britain era gear. Including a model B helmet with the huge ear phones. There is enough wiggle room in the human from that he should work in any model from a 1/10 to a 1/12. He weighs in at 8.15 grams. Just a little less than three copper pennies.
His head has been painted but his body just got a coat of gray primer and I'm waiting on that to dry a little more before painting.

Zach
Last edited by Tail Spin1; Aug 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM.