SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
yes ... 3 P51 mustang, FW190 and F4U corsair. unfortunately only 2 are completed so far and only flown the 190 with an fm radio.. not going to again though. I lost 2 planes (not cox) due to fm glitches and lost signal. I"m replacing the receiver and using my dx6i
Still thinking how to complete my corsair..

The pull pull setup seems fine and I already got some fishing line to do that but I want something more durable..
I will see if I can bent a silicon spray hose and pass a wire through there. also I thikn that the 10g can handle a 500mah pack.. not sure yet though It seems that I will need to try that..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
make your calculations again mate...
what if the sevos there don't match the way you want to use them.. I'm using ailerons
+ I got more stuff to play with the CG.. what If I put a larger pack and need to shift the whole receiver back?

How is this applicable?
AR6400 is only useable is some cases and not in my case and most of these cases who need ailerons + variations of battery packs.
I use Ailerons, too. The Brick is Rudder/Elevator and I run wires to Ailerons and or flaps in the wings. I can also run two servo ailerons for flaperons.

You'd have to put a stupid large motor in front if you have to shift weight back since they are tail heavy the second you switch to brushless and Lipos.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:47 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
yes ... 3 P51 mustang, FW190 and F4U corsair. unfortunately only 2 are completed so far and only flown the 190 with an fm radio.. not going to again though. I lost 2 planes (not cox) due to fm glitches and lost signal. I"m replacing the receiver and using my dx6i
Still thinking how to complete my corsair..

The pull pull setup seems fine and I already got some fishing line to do that but I want something more durable..
I will see if I can bent a silicon spray hose and pass a wire through there. also I thikn that the 10g can handle a 500mah pack.. not sure yet though It seems that I will need to try that..
Ok, so I see you own some of the planes and your just starting with them and have not made a successful flight yet. Yes these planes can be a challenge to fly at first and are difficult to balance. They also fly very fast once the weight is >= to 5 oz. The stock Cox RTF planes weigh 5.75 oz and required a good bit of skill to successfully fly. A successful flight IMO includes a successful landing. The plane is very easy to balance with the AR6400. The BL motor I'm using in mine weighs 9 grams and I'm using a 350mah 10c lipo and the plane balances perfectly as shown in the build thread. The Build thread I posted shows both a 3 channel and 4 channel build and presents a lot of good info and tech on these birds. I do believe my 4 channel dual servo aileron AR6400 equipped Cox P-47 is one of the lightest 4 channel planes around thanks to the AR6400 receiver. In these planes, the AUW determines how much skill is required for a successful flight. I will also mention that I was the first to post a ROG video of a Cox Warbird and all my Cox micro Warbirds are operated off pavement and have landing gear. I have a original stock Cox RTF P-47 that has landing gear and its like a flying brick compared to the AR6400 P-47 and requires much skill to operate on pavement where as the AR6400 plane is a pussy cat in comparison. The big difference? AUW.

Here is a ARF Cox P40 doing a ROG 4 years ago. I still have this plane and it still is a great flying plane although its showing its age. The video says 3 years ago but the video was posted a year after the actual flight.

ROG Cox War Bird (0 min 17 sec)

edit,,, the P-40 in this video is a ARF and has the stock 130 DD motor and prop but is using a 800 mah lipo which weighs about the same as the stock nicad pack.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jun 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
No offense to either one of you, but can you two just agree to disagree. Everyone places a different value on what they feel is better, and no amount of discussion will make them see eye to eye. You've both made your points and they both have merit. Modfly certainly has one of the lightest 4ch cox warbirds, and it will be hard to match with cheaper components. It does however look like you can get close with much cheaper parts, but we won't know for sure until someone actually does it.

Now back to a question... why does my stock motor seem to be such a dud that it can't fly my 125g corsair... I guess I will order a 10g bl and be done with it.
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:52 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
Now back to a question... why does my stock motor seem to be such a dud that it can't fly my 125g corsair... I guess I will order a 10g bl and be done with it.
Have you broken it in? If not try taking a "c" or "d" cell alkaline battery and hooking it up with no prop. Submerge the motor in a cup of water and let it run till the battery dies. I know it sounds funny but it works, the water lubricates the brushes as they get formed to the commutator. When it is done dry the motor out and put a dab of light oil (3 in 1 oil works well) on the bushings at the ends of the motor. The bushing where the motor leads are is sealed but you can either skip that one or drill a very small hole very carefully in the cap to oil it.

The other way is just to run the motor through about three battery charge cycles and then oil the bushing. As you already have the plane built this would be the easiest. Just run the pack down at a low throttle setting, let everything cool down, charge your battery and repeat.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Last edited by Eagle34; Jun 27, 2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: sp
Old Jun 27, 2010, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Have you broken it in? If not try taking a "c" or "d" cell alkaline battery and hooking it up with no prop. Submerge the motor in a cup of water and let it run till the battery dies. I know it sounds funny but it works, the water lubricates the brushes as they get formed to the commutator. When it is done dry the motor out and put a dab of light oil (3 in 1 oil works well) on the bushings at the ends of the motor. The bushing where the motor leads are is sealed but you can either skip that one or drill a very small hole very carefully in the cap to oil it.

The other way is just to run the motor through about three battery charge cycles and then oil the bushing. As you already have the plane built this would be the easiest. Just run the pack down at a low throttle setting, let everything cool down, charge your battery and repeat.
hmm I think I can use this too despite that I said to my self I'm not gonna use a brushed motor again.. I will try this with my brushed motor that I had in my Tamiya topforce..(tahts' a car and Ive retired it but it still works fine) I think I'm gonna ressurect my old lady again..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Hey madmike,

Is that Corsair 125g including the battery? Maybe like E34 was saying you should try his break-in procedure, because if it's less than 4 1/2 oz AUW that dude should really go with the batteries you have. I think back when they first came out and people wre buying the RTF versions here's one http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Airpla...rplane_rtf.htm you can see they were in the 5 oz range and would fly a 220mah NiMh.

Do you have a watt meter that you can check it with? That's the only thing I can think of you can do.

Do you have the ESC set for LiPo? Some you have to change a jumper or run through a series of beeps to set them up. If you're running LiPo and have it set for NiCd or NiMh it won't run correctly. I don't know how badly it would run but it wouldn't be 100%.

The other thing is that it's been so long since I can remember anyone running anything other than brushless that the people who have could answer you maybe no longer follow these threads.

You might have to read the old threads to find your answers.

I wish I could be more helpful.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:55 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Yup, 125g auw with battery... I'll try breaking in the motor more.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:51 AM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
10g 1811 2k motors came in stock at HK so, I ordered one. I'm still gonna try to break in the stock brushed motor... but if that fails I'll have the replacement ready...
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:52 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Don't waste your time with the stock Brushed DD motor. The stock motor draws about 4 amps WOT and is underpowered for its weight. The stock RTF plane with the DD motor has a flight time of about 3 minutes.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:53 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Yup, 125g auw with battery... I'll try breaking in the motor more.
then it must be 3 channel.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:06 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Retracts

Anybody try to install retracts on one yet? I see HK has some really light weight ones - GWS Extra Light, 3.6g per retract and operable with the use of a single 5g servo and 40mm extra light foam wheels. Total weight is less than 1/2 ounce.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:19 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
18-11 2000kv HK Motors

Quote:
10g 1811 2k motors came in stock at HK so, I ordered one. I'm still gonna try to break in the stock brushed motor... but if that fails I'll have the replacement ready...
Yeah, I noticed. I didn't get the email notification I signed up for. I wasn't gonna say anything 'til I knew for sure the two I ordered had been finalized
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:52 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Switch/Charge Plate Cut-Outs

I cannot decide whether or not to fill in the holes in the fuselage for the switch and charge plate.

On the one hand there is the cosmetic consideration. On the other, some extra air vents might help keep everything cooler inside.

What do y'all think?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:45 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,057 Posts
Hi guys I finally maidened my p40, and it flew great!

It has a fully symetrical wing made by gluing the wing to some 6mm depron then sanding the airfoil, and I also removed some of the dihedral and added ailerons so it has 4ch control. AUW is 4.2oz.

Shane.
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero