HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,373 Posts
Got it from Horizon Hobby. They had free shipping promotion for Father's Day plus $7.00 off the regular price. I couldn't pass it up at that price. But it's the original one not the fancy new one that has all the mods added.

Are you from the Cyprus that's in the Mediterranean or like Cyprus, Texas?
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Finally put the corsair on the scales 125g (4.4 ounces) AUW with the 300mah lipo. I read where someone said their RTF cox P47 was 5.8 ounces.
If that's true... mine should fly... I know my brothers P47 with the 10g outrunner flies great... I have the stock motor from his as a spare... I might try it and see if it does any better... if not... order a 10g brushless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Hey Madmike,

I'm gonna build a P-40 that's been under the bed for a couple of years now and I'm going with the stock motor. I'll go back and check the original threads for the information on weight with the stock motor ( as there were guys successfully flyin' 'em that way ) but I'd really like to know what yours weighs with the battery and all.

If I remember correctly you want to be four ounces (maybe it was 4 1/2 ) or less with a stock motor. Weight is a definite issue when using the stock motor.

Also, you may be correct that the motor needs breaking in.
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Got it from Horizon Hobby. They had free shipping promotion for Father's Day plus $7.00 off the regular price. I couldn't pass it up at that price. But it's the original one not the fancy new one that has all the mods added.

Are you from the Cyprus that's in the Mediterranean or like Cyprus, Texas?
MEditerranean
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:27 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, pavcon. Of course. There are numerous ways to go.

Modfly, IMHO $170.00 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a $15.99 kit. But that's just my 2 worth.

While I am open to ideas as to how things can be accomplished I am equally opposed to the notion there is but one way to go.

Heck, I waited 'til a month ago to get the PZ Su-26. They finally had it at a price I considered reasonable. I paid $62.99- on sale from $69.99 and the shipping was free for Father's Day.
Well, I disagree. Cheap is as cheap does. Sure, the plane I presented seems expensive but it performs at a level that cheap can't match. I flew this plane in wind so strong that it blew over and was damaged after it landed. The control is uncany and glitch free. Keep in mind this plane is operated from pavement only and has at least 100 flights on it in this configuration and has been trouble free. DSM2 is the best money can buy and I would not consider anything less as I like to be in control of the plane at all times.

Below are pics of my latest improvments. Mostly prop and spinner changes.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:37 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Yea, those DSM2 compatible receivers could also be used surely but is going to be more weight and require 4 external micro servos. Your using a clone DSM2 receiver and if it actually works then great but I have an idea they do not work as well as the Spectrum receivers hence the price. Another draw back with these HK receivers is little or no support if there is a problem. They either work or they don't and if the latter, good luck! Too bad they are always back ordered and I wonder how they compare to Spectrum receivers with respect to range and performance. Its my experience that cheaper is as cheaper does so keep that in mind. I will stick with the Spectrum series of receivers as I have never had an issue with one and I have at least 25 in operation.

By the way, those HK DSM receivers are not the same type as a AR6400 and require external servos and are more like the AR6300. If doing a 4 servo setup such as I presented, I think this would result in a plane thats too heavy and expensive as small light weight servos are very expensive so in the end you would not save much if any money going this route and would likely weigh quite a bit more than the AR6400 with two AS2000 servos but hey, feel free to try it The setup I presented is a high "Q" setup and has performed flawlessly for over a 100 flights and continues to work well.
Last edited by modfly; Jun 26, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:49 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, pavcon. Of course. There are numerous ways to go.

Modfly, IMHO $170.00 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a $15.99 kit. But that's just my 2 worth.

While I am open to ideas as to how things can be accomplished I am equally opposed to the notion there is but one way to go.

Heck, I waited 'til a month ago to get the PZ Su-26. They finally had it at a price I considered reasonable. I paid $62.99- on sale from $69.99 and the shipping was free for Father's Day.
Broken Sukhois are $40 + a $20 Motor & ESC and $10 for aileron servos and I get $70 (plus useable parts left over from the SU like an 8.4mm motor/gearbox, landing gear and a 1.5g servo...and usually a good wing for other projects).

Modfly only spent $170 because broken sukhoi's didn't grow on trees at the time and it was before cheap linear servos became available.

If Modfly hadn't spent the $170, a lot of us would have not been able to build ours for $70, however, because we wouldn't know how.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Broken Sukhois are $40 + a $20 Motor & ESC and $10 for aileron servos and I get $70 (plus useable parts left over from the SU like an 8.4mm motor/gearbox, landing gear and a 1.5g servo...and usually a good wing for other projects).

Modfly only spent $170 because broken sukhoi's didn't grow on trees at the time and it was before cheap linear servos became available.

If Modfly hadn't spent the $170, a lot of us would have not been able to build ours for $70, however, because we wouldn't know how.
I built this plane with new parts from a retail hobby shop at a time when this equipment was new and was the first to do this type of build. Its true that you could save some money by buying a broken Sukhoi and going that route. I bought the stuff new and the advantage to that is if support is needed, Horizon will take care of it and you get a warranty on the new parts where as the "broken" Sukhoi deal is a pig in a poke.

Not to mention mine has a unique Brushless Heli outrunner with a programmable ESC that was a bit expensive as it was for a coax Heli so it actually came with 2 BL motors and 2 ESC's and 2 PWM - PPM adapters so some money could be saved if you just bought 1 motor and ESC. I like the Heli motor thats in this plane as its very light weight and powerful and has a 2mm prop shaft and is the right KV for the prop size of this plane. Being a Heli motor, the prop shaft is on the opposite side as apposed to regular out runners and allows it to be mounted in a unique way so that it looks like the stock plane. I think these planes look a lot better when the motor is not sticking outside the cowl but thats just me.
Last edited by modfly; Jun 26, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Yea, those DSM2 compatible receivers could also be used surely but is going to be more weight and require 4 external micro servos. Your using a clone DSM2 receiver and if it actually works then great but I have an idea they do not work as well as the Spectrum receivers hence the price. Another draw back with these HK receivers is little or no support if there is a problem. They either work or they don't and if the latter, good luck! Too bad they are always back ordered and I wonder how they compare to Spectrum receivers with respect to range and performance. Its my experience that cheaper is as cheaper does so keep that in mind. I will stick with the Spectrum series of receivers as I have never had an issue with one and I have at least 25 in operation.

By the way, those HK DSM receivers are not the same type as a AR6400 and require external servos and are more like the AR6300. If doing a 4 servo setup such as I presented, I think this would result in a plane thats too heavy and expensive as small light weight servos are very expensive so in the end you would not save much if any money going this route and would likely weigh quite a bit more than the AR6400 with two AS2000 servos but hey, feel free to try it The setup I presented is a high "Q" setup and has performed flawlessly for over a 100 flights and continues to work well.
someone on the forum already used them(I can't remember where I read that) and they work great...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:02 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
someone on the forum already used them(I can't remember where I read that) and they work great...
Well thats great but, its not equivalent to a AR6400 in operation or weight and will require 4 external servos, and weigh more so I say again that this is not an equivalent setup to the AR6400 and in the end will weigh more and cost as much or more as the AR6400 with all the external parts you have to buy to make it do what the AR6400 does.

I read in the forums that these HK DSM2 receivers had some issues with quality control and some were missing the shrink tubing covers. Have you ever tried to return something to HK? Its a hassle to say the least. I agree that the price is cheap on these receivers and even if you get a dud you still may be ahead price wise but, these receivers are more in line with the AR6300 not the AR6400 and is like comparing apples to oranges.

The AR6400 has 2 on board servos and a ESC that can be programmed for PPM or PWM and has a X port that allows a switchable Tiny Britte light system to be used plus it can use external AS2000 1.5 g servos and other features that the HK receivers can't match.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Well thats great but, its not equivalent to a AR6400 in operation or weight and will require 4 external servos, and weigh more so I say again that this is not an equivalent setup to the AR6400 and in the end will weigh more and cost as much or more as the AR6400 with all the external parts you have to buy to make it do what the AR6400 does.
I read in the forums that these HK DSM2 receivers had some issues with quality control and some were missing the shrink tubing covers. Have you ever tried to return something to HK? Its a hassle to say the least. I agree that the price is cheap on these receivers and even if you get a dud you still may be ahead price wise but, these receivers are more in line with the AR6300 not the AR6400 and is like comparing apples to oranges.

The AR6400 has 2 on board servos and a ESC that can be programmed for PPM or PWM and has a X port that allows a switchable Tiny Britte light system to be used plus it can use external AS2000 1.5 g servos and other features that the HK receivers can't match.
what external parts to buy??? you are not making any sence.. you got 2 receivers.. both have the range you want.. both gonna use 2 servos and 1 esc.. what's the more weight that the aftermarket receiver have to add?
no sence.. sorry...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
what external parts to buy??? you are not making any sence.. you got 2 receivers.. both have the range you want.. both gonna use 2 servos and 1 esc.. what's the more weight that the aftermarket receiver have to add?
no sence.. sorry...
The AR6400 is 6 channels, 2 servos and 3.9g.

The 4 channel HK is 2.9g without servos. Add 2 servos and you are at 7g for 4 channels.

The Warbirds can easily handle it, but 3g here and 3g there and pretty soon your plane is overweight.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
no sence.. sorry...
Hmm, Maybe you don't read so good, If your going to do a equivalent setup as I presented, you will need 4 external servos. External micro servos that actually work cost money and weigh more than the 1.5 gram AS2000 servos. The connectors used on the HK rx are low tech and not many if any decent micro servos use that type connector so you need to mod the connectors to use any servo that uses micro JST and most do that are in the weight range of 2.5g or less. I can go on but I will not as you are just being confrontational. I have built a plane using the AR6400 and I'm explaining what the benefits are and all you want to do is argue that it can be done cheaper. Well my friend it can not be done cheaper and have the same performance and weight as I listed. Now instead of arguing about it put your money where your mouth is and prove me wrong if you can instead of just talking about it. You can theorize all day about this and that but its pointless as you do not even own one of the HK DSM2 receivers and do not even know what the weight of that receiver is to start with so your point is moot. If your such an expert on the Cox warbirds, where is your build? You are like so many others that criticize and challenge info in posts from people that have actually built something. Talk is cheap my friend. Build it! then talk to me.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
make your calculations again mate...
what if the sevos there don't match the way you want to use them.. I'm using ailerons
+ I got more stuff to play with the CG.. what If I put a larger pack and need to shift the whole receiver back?

How is this applicable?
AR6400 is only useable is some cases and not in my case and most of these cases who need ailerons + variations of battery packs.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:47 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The AR6400 is 6 channels, 2 servos and 3.9g.

The 4 channel HK is 2.9g without servos. Add 2 servos and you are at 7g for 4 channels.

The Warbirds can easily handle it, but 3g here and 3g there and pretty soon your plane is overweight.
Exactly.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
make your calculations again mate...
what if the sevos there don't match the way you want to use them.. I'm using ailerons
+ I got more stuff to play with the CG.. what If I put a larger pack and need to shift the whole receiver back?

How is this applicable?
AR6400 is only useable is some cases and not in my case and most of these cases who need ailerons + variations of battery packs.
Just curious pavcon...Have you built a Gravity hobbies\Cox Warbird? Do you own one? Have you flown one?

Here is a video of a tiny Britte light system that uses the AR6400 "X" port. You can turn the lights on\off by remote control as the video shows. You can also turn the landing light on off separately from the strobe and wing nav lights. Pretty cool eh?
Just another nice feature thats available on the AR6400.

PZ UM Sukhoi with Tiny Brite LED lights (0 min 21 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Jun 27, 2010 at 01:09 PM.