HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Darn-it. Tried to remaiden the me109 again with the correct prop this time. It had plenty of go but was damn near uncontrollable. first "flight" pitched way up and bank left just got it level as it landed. ailerons werent level so I recentered that servo so it was biased towards a right roll. it kept ballooning very bad and constantly rolling left. I may have had the motor not quite square and Im guessing the battery may have shifted backwards to make it tailheavy. Nosed in at moderate speed. I believe it broke the glue where the fire wall mount for the motor was so Ihave to glue the motor in again anyway. It balanced out okay before I launched it. Probably need to com up with a better system to secure the battery.well I'll have to chop it up at home and see what can be done. also noticed the elevator would only give me down after the crash So I dont know if it popped off where ti was mounted or got bound up some how.

Frustrating. But the parkzone sukhoi flew like a champ. It never disappoints. Happy I now have 4 batteries for it so constant flying. I have 4 batts for the me-109 but need it to fly well first.
Orangehat44 is offline Find More Posts by Orangehat44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
sorry to hear about that, check your cg, make sure its neutral or slightly nose heavy, and secure your battery so you don't have the plane shifting around a lot.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:20 PM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
390 Posts
Pitch up and left

Sounds like not enough down and right mount of the motor and she pitches up and left with WOT. Check out the original brushed motor shaft angle from centerline axis and try and replicate it with your set-up.
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
thats what I planned Like I said I think I didnt have my motor mount square Cause I glued it in one half of the fuse when it was apart. I learned my lesson and have some ideas on what to do once I split her back open. Im assuming those to reasons were the problem. I think I'll use some square scrap foam to make stoppers to keep the battery from sliding. and can some one explain down right thrust I understand the concept but I may have had orientation off. Is the thrust to be pointed down and to the right. or is it the motor down (or prop axle) and to the right. I believe I may have been reversed and In my attempt to do down right really made up left or at least left.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:01 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
I did a little reading on the Cox Warbirds Sortie thread and have concluded that mgroves has in all probability hit the proverbial nail on the head. Try about three degrees right and down on the motor.

If the motor is bolted down or screwed down you should be able to place spacers between the mount and firewall to achieve the desired amount down thrust.

If your holding it in your hand looking at the nose it will point down and to the left. It's down and right as if you were in the cockpit looking out over the front.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Last edited by giuseppi; Jun 21, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves View Post
Sounds like not enough down and right mount of the motor and she pitches up and left with WOT. Check out the original brushed motor shaft angle from centerline axis and try and replicate it with your set-up.
I second that... most probably it's the mounting possition of the motor...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
yea I went and looked over some of my glow planes and noticed on this one as the glue dried on the fire wall it was opposite, I think I also got mixed up with the terminology. To me down right thrust sounded like the thrust should be going down right, meaning the motor center axis would be up left. But realize my mistake now. down right thrust means down right prop axle.

Thanks for clarification.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:37 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
FYI: It should be that way in all planes. Approx 1/1/2 - 2 degrees down and the same for to the right to counter the prop spin.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:13 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
Also, make sure your getting the right thrust as though you were sitting in the cockpit, not looking at the plane from the front.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Example right/down thrust

Here's an example of a glow engine showing right thrust as viewed from above. Add about the same amount of down thrust and you should be fine.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:09 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Down thrust

A side view example of down thrust.
Last edited by giuseppi; Jun 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
on glow engines though you got more vibration.. and moving parts... i.e. piston
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:42 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Down Thrust and Right Thrust Slow Stick Brushless

I'll try again with an electric motor. It seems an IC engine might be confusing to some. The principle is the same regardless of the method used to spin the propeller provided the aeroplane is a tractor type ( the spinning propeller pulls the airplane through the air ) and the prop is spinning clockwise, as seen from the cockpit looking forward over the nose of the aircraft.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:53 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
on glow engines though you got more vibration.. and moving parts... i.e. piston
So?
The thrust principal is the same...
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:10 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
the last thing I needed to do was attach the elevator to the pushrod. I did it and discovered that the two halves of the elevator are not attached. I'd imagine, i'd have to glue a piece of balsa across the two for the p47 to make both sides rise up with the servo. Anybody done this previously?