SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Thanks awkward, where do they place the servo, in the wing?
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:55 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
with ailerons there is a couple different places usually in the wing though. there are a couple pictures buried in the thread about that which would be more helpfull than anything i know. for stock rudder and elevator the stock location(just past the wing in the fuse) worked fine for me and it still balances right. i used 5g servos also. and its the fw190. getting the p-47 next though. still havn't gotten a chance to fly it yet so take my advice at your own caution.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Thanks in the past, with other planes, I have put the servo in the middle of the wing more or less, then run a pushrod to the aileron cutout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
with ailerons there is a couple different places usually in the wing though. there are a couple pictures buried in the thread about that which would be more helpfull than anything i know. for stock rudder and elevator the stock location(just past the wing in the fuse) worked fine for me and it still balances right. i used 5g servos also. and its the fw190. getting the p-47 next though. still havn't gotten a chance to fly it yet so take my advice at your own caution.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
that should work i think. a couple people did that also. just doesn't look as clean as torque rods but still good.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:17 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi guys,

These might help you out. quality isn't very good but it does show what you want to know.

COX P-40 warhawk - placement of gear (3 min 44 sec)

Aileron modification COX model me109 (0 min 46 sec)

good luck!

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:58 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
what's a torque rod?

thanks.

Quote:
that should work i think. a couple people did that also. just doesn't look as clean as torque rods but still good.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
um hmm have you seen the pz um p-51? it uses torque rods for ailerons. i'm not good at explaining things. lots of common rtfs use them too cause they only use 1 servo.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
One cell P47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirulin on feb13/2010
HI,
I plan to build a gearbox system for a one cell motor.

My idea is based on :
XP7A ESC (4 gr wtih connectors and heatshrink)
Lipo 1 cell 400ma (12 gr)
4,6gr AEORC CO5 outrunner motor (KV 11000) with gearbox system 1:3,75
2,5 gr servos
personnal gearbox

Does someone has tried that, or a similar configuration??

Have a nice day

You'll need too watch the weight as it could easily be too heavy to fly well on 1S. You may want to consider the new "1.5g" servos from HK. It could save about 3g over the "2.5g" servos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
You'll need too watch the weight as it could easily be too heavy to fly well on 1S. You may want to consider the new "1.5g" servos from HK. It could save about 3g over the "2.5g" servos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Hello,

Now I have finished my P47 with one cell lipo.
These days, I was able to finally test it flies really well, but some changes were necessary: anti insufficient torque angle, and angle drill too large. I am very happy with my gear home, but I still test designed to limit consumption and therefore increase endurance.
Attached two photos of the gear, other pictures in a few days.
My configuration:
Lipo one cell, 500m 13,8 gr
Receiver Walkera
ESC XP7A
Servo 2,5gr
AEO motor KV11500
Home build gear system, I had a fear about the gearbox, but it works very fine.
In a few days I will send other photos of the bird full.
Best regards
pirulin is offline Find More Posts by pirulin
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Hey guys I wanted to make sure All my wieght was ok before i ordered everything. with the airframe and all my electronics I am approximating about 118 grams is that sound to heavy or is it ok to fly lol. COMPLETE NEWB HERE.
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
left, left, oh, my other left!
Western Mass
Joined Feb 2008
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatorus View Post
Hi guys,

These might help you out. quality isn't very good but it does show what you want to know.
good luck!

Robert
Robert,
Thanks for posting the vids. I've built a couple of these birds over the last few years and am always interested in the way people go about modifying them. I'm currently flying a P-40 but have a stable of kits in the shop waiting in line for their turn and I'm never too proud to steal someone else's mods in order to improve them!
Thanks again
Scott
smrouss is offline Find More Posts by smrouss
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:51 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatorus View Post
Hi splatman,

I'll probably go for the black 10 version. Like the picture shows, the modeller of the plastic model got things wrong. The hooked cross on the tail was in fact painted all over and was therefore not visible. Also no visible tropical filters were installed.

Looking forward to your build(s). Share some pictures of your work in progress. It'll show us your techniques. Did you start on the mustang or the FW190 already?

The spitfire is still waiting on a paintjob but since I've been redecorating the house I did not find time yet. I did make a nice place to store my finished cox/gravity warbirds. When I get my camera back I'll show you a picture.

Robert
Have not started the next FW-190 or the Mustang. I still haven't flown the first FW!! WAY too many projects going right now. For the Mustang I was thinking of a B model (Shangri-La?) if I can figure out a light weight method of making the turtleback (vac formed, 1 mm depron, etc). Callies has some nice graphics for the parkzone micro mustangs---I figure she might be able to scale them up a little. Some GREAT how-to videos, BTW,

splat (Kurt)
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:50 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Kurt,

Why don't you just cut away the top of the tailsection and replace that with a foam block to create the turtleback? You can reinforce the fuse with some foam ribs and sand the turtleback i shape. When finished, you can hollow the turtleback. I use some double sided tape to attach the foam to the fuse for sanding (bits and pieces here and there... you do want to be able to remove after sanding).

That's how I would do it.

You really need to take a break from your projects to fly the FW190. I do expect an in fligh picture to prove you really did fly the bird . It is after all the reason why we are in a hobby which defines itself with actual flying, radio controlled planes.

I think callies will be able to make some nice graphics. I did see some of the work they have delivered and that was awsome. For a B-version You could also do the old crow version. I have the Flying styro kit version of the old crow. It makes a nice model. You could look it up on the net to act as an example. It has the nice spitfire like round canopy.

I appreciate you like the how it works video's. They are pretty dated already. I might do some new ones in HD . I really like my toys!

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I own the p51 and looked at it. I didn't know that was called a torque rod. Thanks.

Quote:
um hmm have you seen the pz um p-51? it uses torque rods for ailerons. i'm not good at explaining things. lots of common rtfs use them too cause they only use 1 servo.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:47 AM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirulin View Post
Quote:
HI,

My idea is based on :
2,5 gr servos
personnal gearbox

Have a nice day

Hello,

These days, I was able to finally test it flies really well, but some changes were necessary: anti insufficient torque angle, and angle drill too large. I am very happy with my gear home, but I still test designed to limit consumption and therefore increase endurance.
My configuration:
Receiver Walkera
ESC XP7A
Servo 2,5gr
AEO motor KV11500
Best regards
What's the AUW, got pics and videos?
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Congrats, BTW does your receiver handle 1 cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirulin View Post
Quote:
HI,

My idea is based on :
2,5 gr servos
personnal gearbox

Have a nice day

Hello,

My configuration:
Receiver Walkera
ESC XP7A
Servo 2,5gr
AEO motor KV11500
Best regards