HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Thanks...I think a big part of the lackluster performance on mine is the fact that I just haaaaad to have scale(ish) looking ailerons, so I ran the tubes out a couple inches before contacting the ailerons. I know...I know...
Not quite sure what you are describing. Did you cut out the scale aileron locations? If so, they would be somewhat small but should work fine if you have enough throw available. You won't be able to fly 3D with them but should give scale-like control.

Can you post pictures of your setup?

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Not quite sure what you are describing. Did you cut out the scale aileron locations? If so, they would be somewhat small but should work fine if you have enough throw available. You won't be able to fly 3D with them but should give scale-like control.

Can you post pictures of your setup?

Ted
I'll see if I can get a pic of the setup this weekend. The movement is sloppy, so the ailerons don't move the same on each side. It doesn't like to roll...but it flies fine for what I like...which is slower, and scale. I get more jollies out of a low speed pass where I can look at the plane, than some crazy 3d maneuver...not knocking those guys at all...if I didn't stink so bad, I'd probably do it too!
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
I was on the first page of this thread, looking at where I could buy a couple of these, but apparently gravity hobby is gone?? Or at least the website isn't working any longer.

Are they being sold elsewhere now? I can't look through over 3300 posts to find an answer that could easily be answered in 5 seconds.

I'm not trying to be lazy though, I promise.

But could someone enlighten me or point me in the right direction? Please?

Or have I missed out on the chance to grab one?
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
Or have I missed out on the chance to grab one?
They are done. There might be some sitting on shelves of your local hobbystore but that's going to be about it.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,482 Posts
Ebay Links
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
They are done. There might be some sitting on shelves of your local hobbystore but that's going to be about it.
I was afraid of that.

Looks like i'll be hunting on ebay via the link Vicarious was kind enough to post.

Thanks guys!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:36 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,821 Posts
i have a few of the cox ones
rtf p-40
arf corsair
arf p-51
got a guy who likes these how much should i ask for them. not trying to make wad money just a fair value.

any guess will help last time i looked 1 sold on e-bay for 40 bucks thinking that is high
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Two Cox birds for sale...

I have two of these for sale that I cannot fly anymore since leaky batteries killed the Tx for both of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605174

I'm selling both RTF less the Tx for $50 (that's for the pair), so $25 each if picked up. More if shipped.

I guess I could find a Spektrum Rx for them, but have moved on to bigger and better things now.
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
i have a few of the cox ones
rtf p-40
arf corsair
arf p-51
got a guy who likes these how much should i ask for them. not trying to make wad money just a fair value.

any guess will help last time i looked 1 sold on e-bay for 40 bucks thinking that is high
Have him make you an offer. I'm sure you have an idea what you would like to get. Try to meet somewhere in the middle. If they are the Cox ones, NIB ,they should be worth more from a collector's standpoint. eBay's a good place to get an idea of their value.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,821 Posts
thank you at least i have a idea now
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:30 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Heavyweight or needed for CoG?

Looks like the thread is dying right when I want to start building my Cox FW190 and P-40...
Maybe I should hold on to them until they are 100 bucks a piece on eBay?

But I was wondering why you guys all end up with planes weighing so much? 150 grams seems to be considered lightweight, while I think 100 grams truely is, in this size of airplanes.
Is it a CoG thing?
I like to build them light because a lightweight airplane flies, floats and crashes sooo much better, but I guess I'm overlooking something.
(Please bear in mind that I only read the last 30-40 pages of this thread along with several build logs and that my question probably has been anwered before - I'm sorry for not reading every posts in every topic )

Setup I'm planning:
Bare airframe = 55g
Outrunner HK 2000KV 10g = 11g
ESC Plush 6g = 7g
Lipo 2S 300mAh = 22g
Rx Corona 6g = 7 g
Servo 3,7g x 2 = 10g
Total of 112g
Add another 5% for prop, spinner, adaptor, pushrods, glue, etc and we're still only at 118 grams...

It is clear to me that I'm missing something here, and I'm thinking it has to do with the CoG (ie not enough weight in the nose and therefore heavier motors/lipos)?
So please confirm if I'm right or wrong, and please elaborate

Disclosure:
In the past I've modded a Silverlit Airlifter (Toys R Us Raptor) and an AirAce LeO/Potez to this setup, except with two 5g brushless motors instead of the sole 10g. Both fly quite well at around 120 grams. While doing so I noticed that any gram added diminishes flight characterishtics.
Currently I'm modding a freeflight CC Lee P-51 to RC as above, but that's something completely different
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
I just put my P-40 on the scale as I couldn't remember what it weighs. It's 109g w/o battery. So, with your battery, AUW 131g.

I made the mistake of using hot glue, which is extremely heavy, on the motor mount, servos, ESC, which added ~ 10g or 20g.

As far as there being any reason to build heavy as pertains to CG I know of none.

Here's a link to the original thread from 2005. People were flying them in the 3.5 oz. ( 100g ) range and were quite happy: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5197

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Last edited by giuseppi; Apr 07, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I bought a couple of the fw190's a long while back, gave one to my father, and the other is still sitting in the box, nice looking but very heavy foam, and the wing needs some major work and lightening done on it. Some day Ill start carving on it. Are these no longer around? If thats the case I should have bought more of them, they were like $20 a pop if I remember right.....

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
No longer available. As for weight, where the heck do you plan on flying these that they are "too heavy"? I have built them over 6 oz with big motors, 3cell packs, etc. and they still flew just fine and landed slower than a warbird should. I don't mind light planes in my bigger 3D setups, but for something this size, unless you are flying it indoors, they just fly like crap outside if there is any sort of breeze IMHO. I personally find no joy in flying something that gets bounced around like a leaf in the wind .
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
No longer available. As for weight, where the heck do you plan on flying these that they are "too heavy"? I have built them over 6 oz with big motors, 3cell packs, etc. and they still flew just fine and landed slower than a warbird should. I don't mind light planes in my bigger 3D setups, but for something this size, unless you are flying it indoors, they just fly like crap outside if there is any sort of breeze IMHO. I personally find no joy in flying something that gets bounced around like a leaf in the wind .
Agreed, but Im of the school of thought that an airframe should be as light as possible and dictated by how strong the structure needs to be. I would much rather decide I wanted a bit more weight to handle wind I can add a bigger pack or bigger motor instead of always hauling around needless airframe structure. Just my preference.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member