HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 10:09 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Dec 2010
157 Posts
Gravity Spitfire build with AR6400

This is what I have so far in the pictures. The RX works fine. The only problem I am having is with the throttle. It is a Tunigy Plush 6amp esc. The throttle was reversed so I reversed in the TX. But it doesn't always start up and when it does it doesn't turn until about half throttle.

I am working how to have access after the build like the Parkzone micros where you can take apart the body and then tape back together. The vertical split doesn't lend itself to that easily. I will probably put it together with packing tape at first. Accessing the battery leads can probably be done through an open cockpit. The battery would probably be better for CG in the back behind the RX but that would probably interfere with the control rods to the back. So still working on it.
ronhawker is offline Find More Posts by ronhawker
Old May 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhawker View Post
This is what I have so far in the pictures. The RX works fine. The only problem I am having is with the throttle. It is a Tunigy Plush 6amp esc. The throttle was reversed so I reversed in the TX. But it doesn't always start up and when it does it doesn't turn until about half throttle.

I am working how to have access after the build like the Parkzone micros where you can take apart the body and then tape back together. The vertical split doesn't lend itself to that easily. I will probably put it together with packing tape at first. Accessing the battery leads can probably be done through an open cockpit. The battery would probably be better for CG in the back behind the RX but that would probably interfere with the control rods to the back. So still working on it.
When you say the throttle is reversed, do you mean the motor turns in the wrong direction? If so, return the throttle on the Tx to normal. Then reverse two of the motor leads to the esc.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Last edited by ronaldf; May 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:40 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Ronaldf

Your ELE 109 looks Ok, you've got to be pleased with it at the price you paid, especially as it comes with a brushless motor. After all the motor is practically free. (Cheap is good...but free is always better)

Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 13, 2011, 05:41 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Nice Spitfire Ron, good luck with your build.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Ronald F,

I have two things you should check on the ELE model.

(1) Is the top of the wing covered in a thin plastic layer as the COX/Gravity one?
(2) The other thing is to check if the vertical stabilizer/rudder has a one sided wingprofile seen from above?

Why should you check this?
(1) The plastic layer on top of the main wing gives much strength to the wing helping to prevent folded wings.
(2) The one sided wingprofile in the vertical stabilizer will cause the plane to fly circles. If so you need to counteract this with your rudder. In the end the plane will be more responsive flying circles one way as the other.

If both are different from the Gravity one then you basically have the CC-Lee freeflight version with a brushless motor. The color of the plane are like the freeflight version.

That would be two more points on which the Gravity plane would score better. I have started on these planes by converting the CC-Lee planes because back then the COX planes were not available in Europe. Much like the Gravity planes are not available in Europe. Luckily we still can get most of the Cox planes. Anyway, experience tells me the Gravity version would be a better buy because of a better kit and the possibility to choose your own gear.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old May 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Ronhawker,

If you have a programmable TX, make sure your throttle channel is set to zero. Put the stick way back at startup and when you connect the battery of the plane. Also check the wires of your brushless motor. It could very well be you have a broken wire. Also check the solder points on the esc.

Because your plane with brushless motor will be very fast and heavy in comparisson to the parkzone micro's, it will not be a good idea to just tape the fuse halves together. By gluing the two halves together you make a tubelike structure which will give strength. The tape will not be sufficient especially if you think of taking the two halves apart after each flight.

Better make a hatch or a removable wing. There are lot's of ways it has been done before. You do not need to think up a new way to do it. Read the thread and the ones that have come before. I know it is a lot to read but it will be worth it.

The remark on the battery I can't place. The battery behind the receiver would place the battery in the tail . I don't think your paying (the right) attention to your CG. A tailheavy plane will not fly. The battery is fine in the location where it is now. However you do have to pay attention to the lateral weight distribution. The way you show it now on the picture will place a lot of weight on the right side of the plane. This will cause the plane to turn right because your right wing will at the same speed have to carry much more weight as your left wing. It will not and your plane is going to tip over and dive to the ground. Better place your battery flat in the fuse or make spacers to the left and the right so your battery will be held in the center of the plane.

The spitfire is a very nice plane. Good luck with your build!

Robert
Old May 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatorus View Post
Hi Ronald F,

I have two things you should check on the ELE model.

(1) Is the top of the wing covered in a thin plastic layer as the COX/Gravity one?
(2) The other thing is to check if the vertical stabilizer/rudder has a one sided wingprofile seen from above?

Luckily we still can get most of the Cox planes. Anyway, experience tells me the Gravity version would be a better buy because of a better kit and the possibility to choose your own gear.

Robert
I couldn't tell on the wing but it appears to be smoother than the ELE wing. The ELE rudder does have the air foil on one side. the other side is flat.

At this point I prefer the Gravity. I use the brushed motor to make an adapter mount for the 1811. Faster shipping and actually cheaper. The GH also has the nose protector and better packaging. I'll usually order two of the $12.99 units to get cheaper shipping cost per unit. Two usually costs just a couple of dollars more than one.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Last edited by ronaldf; May 13, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Dec 2010
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
When you say the throttle is reversed, do you mean the motor turns in the wrong direction? If so, return the throttle on the Tx to normal. Then reverse two of the motor leads to the esc.
No. Not the direction of the motor turning, the zero position of the throttle was up not down. I leaned that as you have to have the throttle at zero for the esc to start or initialize. As first installed, the throttle at full on was the zero position.
ronhawker is offline Find More Posts by ronhawker
Old May 16, 2011, 12:28 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
The weather has been really crap here for months, the bloody wind won't stop blowing. It was still quite windy here at the weekend, but I got fed up with waiting to fly and decided to take my Zero for a spin. At 150g AUW, it's my heaviest and I thought it would handle the wind the best. Wrong!! Flew it straight into a wheelie bin and folded a wing back, snapped the prop and cracked the motor mount
Well now at least I've got some epoxying to do while the weather's crap.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Andy,

The weather has been similar here. Quite sunny and all but windy all the time. Went out kiting yesterday with a 10 square meter kitesurf kite. At times it took two persons hanging on to prevent lift off or better uncontrolled dragging across the sand. Will do a kitesurf weekend in about a month.

The wing of the F4U got teared because of the same wind. Still waiting for my components for the FPV MWB.

Robert
Old May 17, 2011, 01:14 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
It's been quite windy and cold here the past few days as well. When the weather is bad I just work on projects or repairs....Still rather be flyin'
will3kgt is online now Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old May 17, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Will,

I repair when it is needed and when I feel like it. I fly when I feel like it and if my batteries are charged. That is when I do not have to work or have other obligations crossing my plans. I can't deny that I like building even more at times. Creating something and the tension to see if it works out give an extra dimension to my hobby. I hate it when I need to wait for gear to arrive which is the case right now.

I have made landing gear in the past for a micro warbird that I didn't use. It turns out to be perfect for my little FPV plane. I did make some progress in the end even without my supplies.

Robert
Old May 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hey Robert

I know what you mean about waiting for gear to arrive. Honk Kong post must be on a go slow at the moment...Where the hell are my HXT 2211 motors I ordered 3 weeks ago Don't they realise I've got planes that are grounded, waiting for parts!! The fact that it's also too windy to fly anyway, isn't relevant, I want my parcel of goodies now.
Rant over,
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2011, 11:38 PM
United States, MI, Frankenmuth
Joined Jul 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhawker View Post
I am having the same problem with the same motor, same esc, same plane...different rx. Let me know if you figure it out. I have 3 of the Turnigy Plush 6 amp esc's but the one one the 18-11 2000 is soldered on. It is the only one with the problem that I know of.
Bonified Wingnut is offline Find More Posts by Bonified Wingnut
Last edited by Bonified Wingnut; May 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM.