SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:43 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Sep 2009
34 Posts
Modify, thanks for that, I just noticed Joe 1320 had this as a standard upgrade on his planes and several others made comment that with an outrunner the wings can fold. So if I convert to ailerons on the Zero is 5 degrees wing dihedral enough? Mark
dunbar58 is offline Find More Posts by dunbar58
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:53 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbar58 View Post
Modify, thanks for that, I just noticed Joe 1320 had this as a standard upgrade on his planes and several others made comment that with an outrunner the wings can fold. So if I convert to ailerons on the Zero is 5 degrees wing dihedral enough? Mark
Enough for what? You should decrease the dihedral on a plane with ailerons. The stock dihedral is OK and ailerons will work with the stock wings. Joe 1320 makes ATOMIC planes as he calls them and I suppose they are very fast and perhaps very heavy. I subscribe to a "light is right" build theory using AR6400 Tech and leaving the CF reinforcements and glassing off the plane. This is a left over vestige from the days of heavy wing loading. Todays planes no longer need all that reinforcement due to the lighter electronics available. Also keep the lipo small say 350 mah or less to keep the weight down. They fly so much better with light wing loading IMO. Maybe not ATOMIC blazing fast but fast enough and makes for a good flying plane instead of a flying brick.

The plane in the video I posted uses a 10g outrunner and a 2s 350 mah lipo with a AR6400 brick and dual AS2000 aileron servos. AUW = 4.5 oz

Here is another P-47 video
Cox P 47 Flight #2 (1 min 56 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Dec 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:17 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Sep 2009
34 Posts
Hi Modfly, no I do not plan to use that bbrick as they are extremely expensive here in Australia. I will be using a turngy esc, 2 small k/k servos, a 18-11 motor , an spektrum orange rec, and 350 mli-po, mark
dunbar58 is offline Find More Posts by dunbar58
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:58 AM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
[QUOTE=modfly;16827444]
The plane in the video I posted uses a 10g outrunner and a 2s 350 mah lipo with a AR6400 brick and dual AS2000 aileron servos. AUW = 4.5 oz
[QUOTE]

With your experience, what setup would you recommend for a light weight sport flyer, rudder & elevator or elevator & aileron on these Gravity warbirds? (Novice pilot)
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,377 Posts
Ronald,

If you have "0" experience go with rudder.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Ronald,

If you have "0" experience go with rudder.

g
No disrespect G but I disagree. Elevator and ailerons are the way to go (for a basic setup) on these birds IMO. Some of these planes are not symmetrically responsive to the rudder. Ailerons give much better control on these planes and work every time no matter what.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Ailerons all the way. I will never build another Rudder/Elevator only Gravity warbird.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:26 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,377 Posts
I don't disagree with either of you and no problem Modfly, non taken.

My thinking is if Ronald is a total novice a rudder will be easier for him to control. Harder to snap roll. Somebody new might forget to roll it back the other direction. IMHO

Anyway, we're cool.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
57 Posts
Adding ailerons questions.

For those who have added ailerons, could you give me a little help.

1. I am planning to add ailerons to a spitfire; my intent is to cut following the existing flap lines, extending the line to within about 1/2 inch of the fuse. Is that a resonable amount of area??

2. If above is resonable area, how much throw should I set up.

Thanks,
Doug
doughere is offline Find More Posts by doughere
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
For those who have used two of the micro servos for aileron control instead of a single 4 to 5 gram servo, what are the advantages and disadvantages? What hinge type do you recommend? The wings are very thin thus making the ailerons very thin. Do they need reinforcing? If so how are you reinforcing them? Any other aileron mod suggestions or idea would be appreciated. The Gravity warbirds have wing reinforcing. Did the original Cox warbirds have the same reinforcing?
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughere View Post
Adding ailerons questions.

For those who have added ailerons, could you give me a little help.

1. I am planning to add ailerons to a spitfire; my intent is to cut following the existing flap lines, extending the line to within about 1/2 inch of the fuse. Is that a resonable amount of area??

2. If above is resonable area, how much throw should I set up.

Thanks,
Doug
1.Yes.
2. I set up the aileron to get as much throw as mechanically possible. You can always use the radio to scale that back.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:36 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
For those who have used two of the micro servos for aileron control instead of a single 4 to 5 gram servo, what are the advantages and disadvantages? What hinge type do you recommend? The wings are very thin thus making the ailerons very thin. Do they need reinforcing? If so how are you reinforcing them? Any other aileron mod suggestions or idea would be appreciated. The Gravity warbirds have wing reinforcing. Did the original Cox warbirds have the same reinforcing?
Single aileron servo has the weight advantage but requires complicated mechanical linkage and a lot of time to set up.
I use dual AS2000 servos which are 1 gram each. They are expensive however. You get what you pay for in this hobby.

Dual servo ailerons have the advantage of giving you max throw and can be trimmed for switchable spoilerons using the radio however, you must use very small servos as the weight of larger servos would offset any advantage.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:23 AM
canada
Joined Mar 2003
57 Posts
Can someone please let me know where can i get the F-4U ,and also P-40 .seem to be very hard to get them ,no sure who sell them either .thx for the help
dave35495 is offline Find More Posts by dave35495
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:55 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,377 Posts
Dave35495,

Page #158, post# 2361 has some alternate online shops for the warbirds. Not sure which ones.

g
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
canada
Joined Mar 2003
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Dave35495,

Page #158, post# 2361 has some alternate online shops for the warbirds. Not sure which ones.

g
thx for looking it up ,but that section and supply is for europe and german ,too far for online order ,i am looking like U.S supply .thx
dave35495 is offline Find More Posts by dave35495