HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Maiden for the FW-190 tropic and the F4U corsair (going wrong)

Hi there,

The Nano gear is much to big and heavy for these planes. The legs only are at least 10 cm of 2mm+ steel wire... Maybe if I echange that for carbon fibre and make a whole carbon landing gear strud... It might work... But it is big.

I have had a sad day today. I have maidenen both the FW-190 and the F4U corsair. Both flew pretty well but the pilot is an arse . You already know what comes next...

So what happened... I went out to find me a nice place to fly there birds. Because the FW-190 is in desert colors I set out to fly in a sandy area. So I went to a national park quite nearby. We have sand dunes there though we are not near to the ocean... Is it legal? probably not but hey if they can let the dogs run free there and build sandcastles... Why not?

Back on topic. Why is this pilot an arse? Well he still thinks he can do multiple things at one time and honoustly... We can do anything, but not at the same time. God has cursed us and given exclusive right to that to women.

Sometimes I envy them...

So I have set up my camera on my new tripod on top of a high sanddune and I'm with my back to the forest. Down below there is a slight danger of free running dogs but hey... What's life without a little risk . (I like dogs by the way. We have a dog but I know they don't like our little planes with their high pitch noices. So I leave him at home).

So we do our pre flight check. and we think... Directions are good, receprion is good throws are a little on the big side but we can handle it.... (God must have thought at that moment:"No you stupid little man you can't because you're flying with a completely new and unfamiliar transmitter").

With nobody stopping me I set out to do my flying. Flight behaviour at launch is pretty OK. straight and level we set out at about half throttle and away she is. Clearly she wants to go up so little down trim and play a little with the throttle. Little more, little less... oops not that little... little more... and so on.

So we get comfortable and fly our laps. Then we think of our movie (first mistake) we go to the camera and focus on that instead of flying properly. No no no, that is not the moment when I set her down in the sand nose first.. I just realize that I need a fish eye lens to get the plane into view. After a little fiddling around we have full attention for our plane in the air.

In the meanwhile I notice that the stick movement is with very little resisance. I like a little firm stick that wants to go back. I'm not getting the right response from this transmitter. Also it is not in balance. It will not hang horizontally from the neck strap. probably because I have converted it from 35 Mhz to 2.4 Ghz. The little antenna is not as much counterweight as the 1 m original metal one....

So we do our acrobatics, loops, rolls, barrel rolls, the vertical stall and turn aroun move... (what is that called) etc etc. It really does those rolls well without making it a barrol roll at each try. So we do some approach flights towards the camera and there it goes wrong. Getting close to the camera means getting close to the ground because we are on a hill. So a correction to prevent flying into the trees behind me and an over correction for something else force me into a close ground loop which ends up in a flat belly landing after first hitting the ground with the prop. in 2 seconds it was all done. You see it happen you are in control but there is nothing you can do

Damage... Prop broken and the underside of the nose is wrinkeled up. The engine has had something to endure so I need to see how the internals are. With a bit of luck we don't have to do to much about that. We'll see..

What about that other plane... The F4U... Well I had some reservations about obout it having enough throw on the ailerons. After contact I found that absolutely not an issue. In fact the throws were so much that they looked like airbrakes... I had to reducethe throws to 50% to get a good feeling about them. I reduced the thows, I extended the original 1 m Antenna on the transmitter for balance, I checked my camera and of we went.

The plane anted to go up so down trim. at slow speed the plane was a little nervous dropping left and right wing without real cause.. So trim here, trim there. In the end, she flew pretty well. The 10 g outrunner does well and snores away at half speed. The camouflage does it's job making it difficult to see top from bottom. Then where does it go wrong? Yes again with the passes towards the camera... Being preoccupied with image instead of flightpad I almost fly into a tree and end up over correcting and it goes down. More damage this time... prop is broken, little bruises on the fuse but also an almost severed wing.... Only the plastic reinforcement keeps it together... It can be repaired but it hurts.

The most stupid thing of the last flight was that eventhough I was making passes towards the camera... I had forgotten to push the record button....

TALK ABOUT FEELING STUPID....

So that was my day so far.. I'll see what I can make of the footage of the FW-190. I'll post when ready.

Regards, Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:35 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Robert

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, especially after you had both planes looking so good.

Is this the same place that you almost lost a desert camoflagued ME109? Maybe this place is not a good place to fly (bad juju.)
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:45 PM
fxb
Aquitaine France
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
sad day for the squadron Rotatorus ...

especially that of Robert Cox are real aircraft collections.

let's be optimistic, That work for the workshop.

Soon
fxb is offline Find More Posts by fxb
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Robert

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, especially after you had both planes looking so good.

Is this the same place that you almost lost a desert camoflagued ME109? Maybe this place is not a good place to fly (bad juju.)
Hi Eagle34, Hi FXB,

You remembered! Yes, it is the same place and it is not a perfect spot. But it is mostly to my own wrong doings that planes get damaged. I've made a positive little video of the launch of the FW-190 tropic. It is uploading now. Tomorrow it will be available through www.Vimeo.com.

I have repaired both planes this evening already and I even repaired my old F4U corsair. Tomotrrow when all glue is set, I'll see if additional reinforcement of wings and fuses is necessairy.

The Damage on the FW-190 was more severe as expected. Both the little screws that hold the motor in the motor mount were loose in the plane. Just by sheer luck I had not lost them in that big sandy place. I have had to do mayor surgery to the plane to get everything fixed. There are little holes in the fuse where I hade to push through the screwdriver to fasten the screws. I used thread locker to prevent it from happening again.

Things are looking OK again.

Robert
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:03 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Video of the maiden of the FW-190 tropic

Hi all,

It is short but here is a little video I made yesterday of the maiden of the FW-190 tropic.

COX - Gravity micro warbird FW-190 tropic (1 min 48 sec)

Robert
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
All man don't tell me you lost that beautiful desert camo 109! I saw pics of that thing and it was awesome. I might have to try to do a desert theme now! Don't have a air brush but I might be able to a decent job with rattle cans!

Sorry to hear about your new birds!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:54 PM
Crashing but learning...
Brazil, São Paulo, Sao Paulo
Joined May 2009
463 Posts
Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about the planes. I'm sure they will be repaired and back to the flight line soon.
Next time check if the flak is active in the T.O. before flying.

Nelson
Wildweasel09 is offline Find More Posts by Wildweasel09
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:56 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,595 Posts
Hi Robert

Sympathies from England, but I see the repairs are well under way.

Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Eagle
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Need help finding good parts

Hi everyone,

I recently got into the hobby and I'm mostly interested in flying scale warbirds. This has led me to the Cox/Gravity micro warbirds series. I bought a BF109 ARF kit and I'm trying to figure out where and I can get the parts I need to finish it. I'm planning on using the motor that came with the plane.

I have the Hobbyzone Champ transmitter and I have a hobby king account to order parts.

As you know I need:

2 micro servos
1 7.4v lipo 2S battery
1 ESC
1 Reciever (compatible with Champ transmitter)
micro landing gear and tailwheel

What do you vets who've put this planes together suggest? Could you give me examples with links? I know I need to keep this plane light, and I looked at the threads disussing putting the 6400 brick in, but I think I want to keep my Champ in one piece and just buy the parts seperately.

Thanks,
Frog
frogczar is offline Find More Posts by frogczar
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:10 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogczar View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently got into the hobby and I'm mostly interested in flying scale warbirds. This has led me to the Cox/Gravity micro warbirds series. I bought a BF109 ARF kit and I'm trying to figure out where and I can get the parts I need to finish it. I'm planning on using the motor that came with the plane.

I have the Hobbyzone Champ transmitter and I have a hobby king account to order parts.

As you know I need:

2 micro servos
1 7.4v lipo 2S battery
1 ESC
1 Reciever (compatible with Champ transmitter)
micro landing gear and tailwheel

What do you vets who've put this planes together suggest? Could you give me examples with links? I know I need to keep this plane light, and I looked at the threads disussing putting the 6400 brick in, but I think I want to keep my Champ in one piece and just buy the parts seperately.

Thanks,
Frog
All from Hobby King
Servos - HXT500 5g / .8kg / .10sec Micro Servo
Rx – One of the DSM2 compatible receivers from HK
ESC – either the Turnigy 6 amps or 10 amps.
Motor – Dump the stock and go with the 18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)
The stock motor is about 22 grams. The 18-11 and ESC will be about the same thus saving the weight of the brushed ESC.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
All from Hobby King
Servos - HXT500 5g / .8kg / .10sec Micro Servo
Rx – One of the DSM2 compatible receivers from HK
ESC – either the Turnigy 6 amps or 10 amps.
Motor – Dump the stock and go with the 18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)
The stock motor is about 22 grams. The 18-11 and ESC will be about the same thus saving the weight of the brushed ESC.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Which DSM2 compatible receiver do you recommend? I need one that'll fit and they are somewhat difficult to measure on the Hobby King website.

Also, do you have a recommendation on landing gear/wheels?

Thanks,
Frog
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
they both fit 4 and 6 channel.. personally I got the 6 channel ebcuse I ordered a whole bunch of them :P
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:53 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Frog about two pages back or so I asked the same questions and even added links to hobbyking for all the parts that were suggested. Unfortunately several of the components are backordered. I would also highly suggest getting a good TX at some point as it makes a world of difference.

I will be cutting the ailerons and getting the tail together, I may temporarily mount the tail for painting purposes. I will be sanding and cleaning up the joints and cleaning up the overall fuselage. I hope to then paint a desert scheme using a sand colored base with a dark brown as the spots. I will be leaving the bottom the stock blueish color for contrast. I may add a yellow nose and tail in the mix as well. I will be limited to rattle cans as there isn't an airbrush yet...
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Frog about two pages back or so I asked the same questions and even added links to hobbyking for all the parts that were suggested. Unfortunately several of the components are backordered. I would also highly suggest getting a good TX at some point as it makes a world of difference.

I will be cutting the ailerons and getting the tail together, I may temporarily mount the tail for painting purposes. I will be sanding and cleaning up the joints and cleaning up the overall fuselage. I hope to then paint a desert scheme using a sand colored base with a dark brown as the spots. I will be leaving the bottom the stock blueish color for contrast. I may add a yellow nose and tail in the mix as well. I will be limited to rattle cans as there isn't an airbrush yet...
So how would I mount the outrunner engine that is suggested a few pages back?

I guess I'd need to replace the prop as well? Do you have suggestions for the BF-109 model?

Also, no one has suggested any landing gear/wheels.

Thanks,
Frog
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogczar View Post
So how would I mount the outrunner engine that is suggested a few pages back?

I guess I'd need to replace the prop as well? Do you have suggestions for the BF-109 model?

Also, no one has suggested any landing gear/wheels.

Thanks,
Frog
The landing gear will need to be a custom build. 1” Dubro micro foam wheels should work. It just depends on how creative you want to get. Landing gear will add weight to the air frame and reduce performance. The motor mount will need to be custom also. You might consider taking the stock motor and stripping the contents. Use the empty can to mount the brushless motor. The can will need to be shortened to fit the stock fuselage opening. The advantage would be maintaining the right and down thrust angles. Props and adapters will depend on the motor that you choose. To use the stock prop and spinner, you will need to use a motor with the same size shaft as the stock motor. There will some challenges in equipping the small birds with RC equipment, but that is part of the hobby.

Wheel link - http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?op=showitem&sku=2678
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf