HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:14 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein View Post
Robert, WBPU stands for water based polyurethane (some also use water based polyacrylic - I think that both work fairly well). The most used brand available here in the States is Minwax.
It also works very well at giving that smooth finish to the exterior of the fuselage, fills all the little gaps in the foam. I also use it before a build on the inside to add a little strength, or if you really want a strong fuselage you can use WBPU with light weight fiberglass. Use the WBPU in place of the heavy resin, plus you don't have all the fumes when working with FG.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Interesting material that WBPU. Will look for it in the shop. We are bound to have it somewhere. I did apply some decals today. Half of the homemade ones went bad while applying so they are missing on the right side. The ones that came with the spitfire went on without any issues.

See the result in the pictures. The V should have been two other letters but I didn't feel like wasking for those and then paint them on. The V is pretty nice. Only one thing to do which is to seal in the decls. Will do that tomorrow after work.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
795 Posts
I just received the spitfire and the me109 today. They look good. The spitfire is certainly going to be a tighter fit than the zero.
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2010
50 Posts
Finished both my Zero and P-51 today. Both are 4 channel, but have different motors. I have not done anything to the airframes yet. My next project will be to get the rest of the war-birds and modify a P51 to look like Strega. We are going to race these indoors, so I thought that would be appropriate! If they had a Sea Fury, I would modify one to look like Rare Bear!
SkydiverDriver is offline Find More Posts by SkydiverDriver
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:47 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
new option for an ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14870
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydiverDriver View Post
Finished both my Zero and P-51 today. Both are 4 channel, but have different motors. I have not done anything to the airframes yet. My next project will be to get the rest of the war-birds and modify a P51 to look like Strega. We are going to race these indoors, so I thought that would be appropriate! If they had a Sea Fury, I would modify one to look like Rare Bear!
Hi SkydiverDiver,

If you want a SeaFury, Take a FW-190 fuse, take the piece behind the canopy away, and fill it with some foam and reshape it so it is round. Reshape the rudder and tailwing. Take a P-47 wing and fit a home-made clear canopy. You will end up with a sea fury if you paint it in the correct colors.

If you want a rare bear, also make the bottom of the rear fuse round and make a big rudder. The FW-190 wing looks close enough to the rare bear wing. Tailwing again needs some work and the fuse might need some extention.

I think it is possible. Can you see it as well? Do you feel challenged?

Good luck!

Robert
Last edited by Rotatorus; Nov 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein View Post
I just received the spitfire and the me109 today. They look good. The spitfire is certainly going to be a tighter fit than the zero.
Hi Gklein,

The Spitfire is tight but it is nice as well. It has a very distinct look in the air. If build well she will be rewarding. I'm looking forward to your build.

Robert
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi guys,

I've just been reading in another thread about people's experiences with flying termals. A thermal is a column of warmer air which rises locally where the surrounding air is cooler. One of these guys was flying smaller electric planes and was wondering if termalling could be done with his sukhoi. The answer was yes, you can.

I've been flying these planes for quite some time now and if the plane is build light you can really use thermals to gain hight quickly. I wonder if you guys ever experienced it and if you tried to ride.

Also where I fly there is an elevation in the landscape (a dike) and if there is enough wind, it gets pushed up when arriving at the dike. If you ride that air, it's called soaring. I've seen several clips on youtube of fellow modellers who have build their microwarbid just to soar and which have no engine. Though my flying area does not have spectacular cliffs or high winds like that, it is nice to use the surrounding to play with your plane.

How are your experiences? I'd like to hear/read your stories.

The F4U has been sprayed with a clear coat of paint to seal in the decals and to make the plane a bit more dirt resistant. The paint was very dull but now it is kind of shiny. It is hanging from it's propellor in the bathroom with the ventilator high to remove the "toxic" fumes of the clear paint.

Almost ready to fly!

Robert
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
Joined May 2010
50 Posts
My Zero has come in at 116g. I see they say the stock plane should come in at about 100g. What weight are other builders ending up with? I have made it a 4 channel and am using a 550mAh battery.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
Joined May 2010
50 Posts
The problem with thermalling a conventional plane is the lack of wing area, amongst other things. In order to remain it the thermal you need to turn and when you turn, your wing is unable to produce as much lift. If you want more clarification, I will gladly provide it.(Ever wondered why you need to use up elevator when turning?)
These small planes will find it very difficult to use a thermal, not impossible, but unlikely and if they do it will be for a very short time!
Another "problem" is at lower altitudes a thermal has smaller horizontal diameter, and as it gains height, it looses strength and expands to give a larger area to use. You will have lost sight of any micro by then!

Ridge-lift on the other hand is directly proportional to the wind speed, direction, and angle it hits the ridge. The height of the hill is not super important. I have had some amazing soaring from a 20 foot hill on the coast.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
My Zero has come in at 116g. I see they say the stock plane should come in at about 100g. What weight are other builders ending up with? I have made it a 4 channel and am using a 550mAh battery.
Hi SkydiverDiver,

I do not have all my planes within reach but here are some numbers... (without battery)

Spitfire on floats 153g (hardly flown)
F4U Corsair 90g (not flown yet)
F4U Corsair remains of the old one 96g (was a very good flyer)
P40N 94g (moderate flyer)
FW-190 tropic 91g (not flown yet)

P51 70g (brushed motor with esc, without servo's / receiver / prop / battery)

All planes are 3 channel except for the spitfire which is 4 channel controlled. I did have the chance on occation to thermal my warbirds, but mostly I use thermals to gain height quickly with only marginal power. Only once had an issue to get out of a strong thermal where I had to turn over and dive down. I don't know for sure if that was a micro warbird or not... Anyway, I know the basics, no need for further explenations.

Robert
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:32 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Robert

You said that your Dutch P-40 was only a moderate flyer, why was that, what was the problem because it looks fantastic. I've ordered a CC Lee p-40 and a Zero, I just hope that I can build them as well as you and Nelson do, and I hope they'll fly well.

Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:54 PM
Joined May 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
My weight is with a battery. and an extra servo, so I guess it is not too bad!

Rotatorus, I hope I did not offend you regarding thermals. You don't know me, but I have been a flight instructor (airplanes)for 30 odd years, and have over 4500 hours hunting for thermals in everything from paragliders, hang gliders to motor gliders.
I have also lectured advanced Aerodynamics and Meteorology, so forgive me if I get too enthusiastic!!
Thanks for taking the time to weigh your planes. It gives me a good idea of where I should be.

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Mike,

No worries, no offence taken. Your Zero will do just fine if not very well. In high winds you may even wish for some more weight just to counteract the effect of the wind blowing uneven. For wind penetration some weight can do wonders...

By all means be enthousiastic. Thats the way a thread like this keeps alive.

If you're looking for something new and challenging after the zero, how about some micro FPV in a COX/Gravity warbird? I've been looking at this thread for a while now. If it can be done with a sub micro plane like the Trojan, it certainly can be done with these birds. Who will be the first?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1276754&page=2

OK, it is very expensive but I feel very tempted to try it out... I already did video flying with the Corsair (the one that is now in pieces). It worked, though not yet perfecly. The camera acts as a spoon under the fuse and like a lure for fishing it will wiggle its behind. It was pointing about 30 degrees down from under the wing to prevent the prop from being in the image. One nice day I had a major glitch and the plane went in at full speed from about 6 meters up. The result was a lot of foam pieces .

COX MWB F4U Corsair with onboard camera (5 min 30 sec)

Hi Andy,

The P-40 is a moderate flyer because I made some building errors. I have not enough right thrust build in and the fuse isn't straight. A stupid mistake and an error in judgement. The plane therefore isn't completely stable and wants to go left (I believe). With different amounts of thrust I need more or less trimming. Making it more difficult and less enjoying to fly. A previous P-40 was a very good flyer so it's not the design of the plane. Just clumsy me. It happens... But it does look good

Robert
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
I see they say the stock plane should come in at about 100g. What weight are other builders ending up with? I have made it a 4 channel and am using a 550mAh battery.
The Stock, orginal RTF planes were closer to 150g.

My 4 Channel Zero with AR6400/5g/360 2S is right around 110g.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN