Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:00 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Gklein,

Looking forward to your progress. Pictures do explain things rather well. I don't think you will have any cooling problems.

Good luck with your build!

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:55 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hello Guys

Sorry for butting in, but I need your help, I'm new to Gravity Cox Warbirds. Up to now I've mostly flown PZ micros and eRC warbirds, but I'm wanting to get away from the all-in-one brick and be able to fly something a little bigger and more versatile. I already have a couple of HK 10g motors, Turnigy 6amp esc's, HK 3.7g servos and Rhino 360mAh 2s lipos. I'm really keen to get building, but I've come up against a big problem. Where on earth can I buy any Gravity Hobby warbirds in the UK? I've tried Gravityhobby.com, the shipping is over $80 for just one plane, even ebay has nothing!!!!
Please, please can anyone can give me a link or some advice on where to shop.

kind regards
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Andy,

Is this an option for you? German shop, good experience with them and to the Netherlands shipping was around 10 euro. I suggest you send them a mail before ordering to get a detailed price. Also in my experience buying more of them at once will not raise the shipping costs (substancial).

Also I see they have 3 models available.
spitfire
P-40
Zero

My advice is to go with the zero for the best result.

http://shop.buschflieger.de/shop/ind...-Warbirds.html

Robert
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:37 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Andy,

Did you try this website?

http://www.vintageglowengines.com/co...bird-kits.html

I see the site focusses on the US but if you send Reggie an email, maybe he will send to the UK as well.

Robert
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:07 PM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
Andy, these CC Lee ones are the same, just not the full range. You want the £10 ones (£11.50 inc. P&P) for the gear you're suggesting, but the £5 rubber powered ones work well with a brick and a Mustang motor - my Spitty did anyway. Still curse that tree every time I'm in the park... http://galaxymodels.co.uk/page.asp?rootid=1|20|117

Edit: Antics sometimes have them too, the one in Plymouth has got the '109 in an RTF form by Revell - looks to be exactly the same as the original Cox RTF, down to the red tx and the green camo.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:00 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
Continuing my Zero build: I did not like the balanced charging wires and plug on the Rhino 360mah. It seemed redundant and the very stiff wires and large plug are difficult to position. And in the vertical position it was a little too tall to get up to the firewall without taking away more foam than I wanted. So I unwrapped the Rhino, carefully cut away the red and black charging wires (positive and negative). Then I cut the blue wire short (center tap) and added a flexible wire with a 0.8mm in-line plug from HC. Saving the charging plug and using it to create a charging adapter harness by adding a female jst and the other half of the 0.8mm in-line. The attached pictures should do better than my words. So far the battery is 2 grams lighter, and fits right up to the firewall. Next I will shorten the battery leads on both the battery and the esc. This should net another 1 gram, and provide better wire management. I haven't charged this yet so someone tell me if I am wrong. It may not seem like much weight savings, but three grams is another servo.
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Last edited by gklein; Oct 28, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hello Robert and Wildweasel

I can't thank you both enough for the helpful links, I'm sending shipping requests to Buschflieger and Reggie now. Wildweasel, I'd never seen the CC Lee warbirds before, other than the paint scheme they look the same as Gravity Cox. Robert, I'm definately getting a Zero, (yours looks great) and I really like the P40.

Looking forward to posting some photos here when I've finished building.
Many thanks again
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Aero Andy,

These from HK look like the same airframes as Gravity, and the motor, servos, a battery and esc are included. Don't know about shipping $$$

Here's the P-40 link : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_Servo_&_LiPo

There's also an Me-109 and a Spitfire.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:47 AM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer View Post
just finished up this zero with the usual mods...stock brushed motor for now...
Very nice!
I can't help but asking-what receiver do you use and I didn't notice one here in your pics?
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:02 AM
Lost in Southwest Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
The January 2011 issue of Fly RC has a nice little write up on the Gravity Hobby Zero.
ChefScott is offline Find More Posts by ChefScott
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:28 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
Andy, they are the same apart from the paint schemes. Do sand the paint off though, I saved more than 10g on my '109, it still weighed less than stock after I added 3mm depron to the undersides of the wings and re-painted.

This is my CC Lee '109, Hungarian scheme for variety.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefScott View Post
The January 2011 issue of Fly RC has a nice little write up on the Gravity Hobby Zero.
Hi Scott,

Is there a link to the article? If not, could you email me a scan? PM me for details.

Robert
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hey Wild Weasel,

The CC-Lee FF planes I started with way back in the beginning were not having the plastic sheeting on the top of the wing. That is one of the main reasons for me to look further for the COX models. Has that changed in the meanwhile?

I found the CC-Lee wings to fragile for BL motors. Though they would work just fine when building an easy flyer, they were not really suited for the more heavy gear and the extreme flying.

I remember how on my first P-40 the wing just completely got thorn loose at the base of the wing. It came down like a leave... The rest of the plane came down in a less elegant way. With the 21g brushed motor in front and a 2s1p 350 mAh lipo right behind it came down spinner first. It actually was standing with it's nose in the clay when I retrieved it.

Ah, well... those are treasured memories afterall...

If one should go for a CC-Lee FF, make sure there is some decent carbon reinforcement in that wing. I suggest at the leading edge of the wing and maybe some further back.

What is your experience?

Robert
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
No film on the wings of mine, but I figured the extra skin and 3mm CF tubing would be strong enough. Was til I forgot which way was up and piled into the ground. Just a crack though, a little CA dribbled in, quick sand and paint touch-up and you'd never know.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:57 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hi Wild & Robert

Are you saying that the wings on the Gravity planes are thicker and fly well without any modification, but the CC Lee wings are much thinner and more fragile? So if I buy the CC Lee micros from Galaxy, which are so cheap they are practically giving them away, I'll need to add carbon and depron to the wings. So do you guys fly the Gravity micros with a stock wing set up.
Re the stock paint, 10 grams!!! Christ what did they paint it with LEAD!!! It seems a shame to sand down a nice shiny new plane, but 10 grams is a hell of a lot of weight to save.
This will be my first Cox/Gravity/Lee warbird, which make, and what plane would you suggest I start with. Previously I've scratch built many profile and full fuse micros from 1 and 2mm depron, but the SP was to build light, not for strength, so this is all new for me.

Many thanks for you expertise and advice
Andy

Giuseppi, thank you for the HK link, and thanks for your post 2068, I've just read through those two previous threads you mentioned. I need all the ideas, tips and advice I can get.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aero Andy; Oct 29, 2010 at 01:03 PM.