HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:10 AM
left, left, oh, my other left!
Western Mass
Joined Feb 2008
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
You could not give me a nitro plane. Well, maybe, but I would look into converting it to electric and putting the nitro motor on ebay. Nitro r\c planes suck IMO. Maybe its because I have bad memory's of those noisy no starting POS motors from the late 70's.
LOL - I can relate to that. I used to spend more time trying to start my K&B 40's and Cox .049's than I did flying. I've become an electric zealot these days.
smrouss is offline Find More Posts by smrouss
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Here to. People think electric planes are toys. I'm sure thats why the glow guys put up with all the hassle of glow planes because because somehow they are not toys because they use fuel. I personally am not into the sport to impress other people nor do I care what they think. There is no place to fly the noisy bastards around here as the last place they were flying them (Corsair Club) was told by the city they could no longer fly in the area they had been flying for 39 years. These guys were flying large r\c glow planes and they are perceived as dangerous and noisy and have all but been outlawed here. I'm sure the 4cycl engine you have on your plane is good pavcon but around here, there would be no place to legally fly it. Certainly not at or around any parks.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:23 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrouss View Post
LOL - I can relate to that. I used to spend more time trying to start my K&B 40's and Cox .049's than I did flying. I've become an electric zealot these days.
Yes, me to. Electric all the way. You can buy nitro\Glow planes on Craig's list cheap because there is no where to fly them.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
There is a place to fly but there is nothing better than a clean electric.. we had this conversation 12 years ago when I was in the hobby and I had an electric racing car.. The Tamiya Top Force which used to be top of the range back then.

Same discussion is still on at the airfield I'm flying.. oh they fly some big ones there. jet's can also fly.. but I love my little EDFs with the retracts and all and their fast low passes.. I see them a bit jealous and they tried to insult me when they first saw my LX F-22. when they saw it fly they all shut their venomous mouths..

anw. .back to the topic

I bought a camera today so I will be posting a video of my P-51 Mustang tomorrow flown just outside my house...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:07 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Spektrum AR6100e Receivers

I received the two AR6100e Receivers that I purchased from eBay today. The total cost for both plus shipping was less than $2.00 more than HK's price would have been. There was no waiting for stock to arrive and then hoping to get them ordered before someone else beat me to them.

I ordered them on the 19th so it took 10 days to get here from Hong Kong via Hongkong Air Mail.

They look like the real deal, but who knows. Each weighs 5g on my scale, slightly heavier than the advertised 4.4g. Probably less than advertised w/o the plastic cover.

I'll test them and get back to y'all with the details.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:22 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
I've test flown my Cox FW-190 twice more since it's maiden.
It's so stable and easy to fly!
However there's a couple things I would do differently:

* Larger ailerons. Even though I have full sized strip ailerons, I would taper them next time so that they are twice as much chord at the root of the wing and end up at the mould-line at the wing tip. As it stands, aileron rolls are a bit slow.

* The ad-100l motor is under propped with the 6x3". This is something I will change hopefully this weekend. I'll try a 6x4" and even a 6x5".

* Slightly larger battery access hatch. MY current one was limited due to the firewall placement. Next time, the firewall goes right up the front with the motor mounted in reverse up against it. Then the battery hatch can be much bigger. A little bit fiddly having it the current size.

* Flight times are good. I'd only go to a smaller battery if I also reduced the size of the motor.

I've yet to finalize which motor is going to power my BF-109 - I was thinking 5g outrunner but I think even with a good weight reduction and a RTF weight of ~95g it would be a floater. Instead, I'm going the other way this time and make the BF-109 a screamer. At the top of the list is this Turnigy 16-06 10g.

If I could get one cheap, I would consider an Eflite Park 180.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post

* Larger ailerons. Even though I have full sized strip ailerons, I would taper them next time so that they are twice as much chord at the root of the wing and end up at the mould-line at the wing tip. As it stands, aileron rolls are a bit slow.
* The ad-100l motor is under propped with the 6x3". This is something I will change hopefully this weekend. I'll try a 6x4" and even a 6x5".

* Slightly larger battery access hatch. MY current one was limited due to the firewall placement. Next time, the firewall goes right up the front with the motor mounted in reverse up against it. Then the battery hatch can be much bigger. A little bit fiddly having it the current size.

* Flight times are good. I'd only go to a smaller battery if I also reduced the size of the motor.

I've yet to finalize which motor is going to power my BF-109 - I was thinking 5g outrunner but I think even with a good weight reduction and a RTF weight of ~95g it would be a floater. Instead, I'm going the other way this time and make the BF-109 a screamer. At the top of the list is this Turnigy 16-06 10g.

told ya slanesh.. not enough yaw effect with those ailerons...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:59 AM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
389 Posts
Quote:

I tried both the e-flite 180 and the e-flite 250. The 180 doesn't have the hhhuuuumphh that the 250 does. The 250 size is a concern for the smaller engine compartment planes. Planes would barely fly with the 180.
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:33 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves View Post
I tried both the e-flite 180 and the e-flite 250. The 180 doesn't have the hhhuuuumphh that the 250 does. The 250 size is a concern for the smaller engine compartment planes. Planes would barely fly with the 180.
If you've got a spare Park 180 you want to sell me, I'll use it on a Cox Warbird and I'm sure it will zing.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Gravity hobby previously Cox P51 Mustang Mini warbird (3 min 36 sec)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:30 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
That's a HUGE amount of throw on those ailerons. If you don't get amazing roll rates with those then I don't know what will.

By the way, I think you could have not used pull-pull cranks in the middle of the wing and instead had the aileron servo and linkages internal, especially since your ailerons are pretty much the length of the wing.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thanks Slanesh...
I prefered this method because there is no bending on the wire needed . I tried wha you said on my FW190 but I'm not satisfied with the results..
Old Aug 01, 2010, 05:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
sorry ipromised for a video but I couldn't do it and I can't do it due to VERY good weather...
43 degrees celcius under the shadow here.. A/C to the max... you can barely breath outside...
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:20 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
If you've got a spare Park 180 you want to sell me, I'll use it on a Cox Warbird and I'm sure it will zing.
Hah- I just put a P-40 together using a park 370 5400kv motor, stock prop and 2s 800. Weighed in at 6.2 oz. Wanna talk about "zing" lol? It flat out hauled until the wings folded on it's first high speed roll . I just ordered 2 more P-40's and 2 P-47's to experiment with making one hold up to the power and then playing with lightweight setups in the others .
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
431 Posts
I got to play with my kitbashed COX Ki-61 today. I'm glad Gravity Hobby has brought these kits back. They are too much fun and I'm wanting to kitbash some new toys.
SMRTIC is offline Find More Posts by SMRTIC