HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
Lost in Southwest Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
Before you get all excited over the HK compatable RX's. Give this thread a review.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246815

Caveat Emptor
ChefScott is offline Find More Posts by ChefScott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
chefscott... I have my own experience and that's enough form me..Ive done several range tests and I"m more than happy... never lost signal not one brown out and I have no reason to hide it if there was one.
If you check my posts you will see that I'm not a HK "fan" on the contrary.. but this is a very good deal that works perfectly for me so far and after so many flights.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:35 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Before you get all excited over the HK compatable RX's. Give this thread a review.

Well, I read through most of it. Not sure what point your trying to make. From what I could tell there is no consensus either way. Looks to me as if most think the clones and knock-offs are up to the standard of the original.

What I do know is that every time HK receives a new supply they sell out within hours of receipt.
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
Lost in Southwest Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2009
88 Posts
The HK and other clone RX's are a mixed bag. Some work good, some work ok and others don't work. Some pass range checks fine, then when the aircraft is in the air fail.
Not really trying to say anything other than Caveat Emptor.
ChefScott is offline Find More Posts by ChefScott
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:34 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
I was checking. You've warned us about buying them before. Thanks for your concern.
Last edited by giuseppi; Jul 21, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:58 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
I flew two planes this morning - one with an eBay Spektrum clone and one with the HK Spektrum Parkflyer receiver (the same one that's just come and sold out in under 12 hrs).
Both performed flawlessly. No glitches, range-check fine, etc. Normal operation.

One of the planes I flew was my FW-190 - finally!

I doubled checked everything - aileron and elevator travel. Remembered to dial in expo 50%.

Started the motor to about 60% throttle and gave it a nice flat toss into the air (I launch virtually all my models flat - it's an old throw back from when I was 15yrs old or so as models didn't have the luxury of being way over powered back then).
Everything seemed good, the FW-190 started sinking down - mainly due to not enough throttle.
So I throttle her up and pulled in some up elevator and she started yawing to the left a bit - due to the throttle. No problems. I correct and start gaining some height.
A bit of trimming - a couple clicks left and down and BINGO it's beautiful! Very nice flyer with no vices. I'll need to do a few more flights with it but compared to my Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51 it seems to track a little more nicely and seems to go with a bit more authority. The PZ UM P-51 is only ~34g RTF weight so tends to get blown around a bit.
Opening the throttle all the way and the FW-190 zooms around and tends to gain a bit of height. Once at speed it cruises at around 66% throttle, at 50% it doesn't seem to be quite enough. I'll have to check on that and I am a little surprised by this.
My aileron throws are good - pretty much spot on with no expo required. Could possibly have them a little larger next time. The elevator is at 50% expo as this was a design decision. The pushrod just happened to come out at the middle hole of my control horn so it's got a larger than necessary throw.

Looks like I may not fly the PZ UM P-51 as much anymore - these little Cox/Gravity warbirds are in my opinion a better size model and seem to go well in small spaces (if built light enough). Looking forward to building the BF-109 now which I will make aileron/rudder/elevator and aim for ~100g.

Here's a summary of equipment I'm using: ad-100l, GWS 6030 prop (make sure you balance these!), Flightmax 2S 350mah and a Pentium 6A ESC. COG is bang on stock at 1 3/8" (going from memory there) from leading edge.

My current configuration is under-propped - the motor will easily swing a 7x3" or 6x4" on 2S and will also do 6x3" with 3S if I wanted - though I'll stick with 2S as I don't have any small 3S batteries. The motor is highly recommended as it's very versatile. You can have a nice flying plane or you can have a pocket rocket with the 3S.

One more comment about the HK Parkflyer DSM2 clones - they are ideal for these Cox/Gravity warbirds as you tend to fly them close anyway due to their size so I don't think range is ever going to be an issue.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Last edited by Slaanesh; Jul 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Slanesh
I have the same plane built the same way.. I only enlarged the aileron surfaces using a couple of thin carbon rods on each wing... that fixed the poor roll problem.
I'm using a 5x3 prop which I think does not give the kick we want.. maybe a 5x4.3 will be better.. please post any experience with props so that we can find the proper one..
I'm also using a 2s and intent to stay there for the time being...

as for the receiver Ive flown the birdy almost out of sight.. and also did a range test.. you have nothing to worry about them.. I'm thinking that I can even use them in my skysurfer when it arrrives back to stock...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I'm thinking that I can even use them in my skysurfer when it arrrives back to stock...
GREAT!! Did you make some kind of arrangement with BH so they will ship to you? You are going to love the SkyS.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I know.. I;m just waiting for the ARF version.. I got the electronics to do an overpowered SkyS
Grayson hobby supersonic V2 motor 2200kv
30amp ESC
1800mah 20c pack igot from my LHS
that would to the work...
it will be able to belly take off..
I say RCpowers doing it on a sky hawk.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:47 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Another Thread

Quote:
I know.. I;m just waiting for the ARF version.. I got the electronics to do an overpowered SkyS
Grayson hobby supersonic V2 motor 2200kv
30amp ESC
1800mah 20c pack igot from my LHS
that would to the work...
it will be able to belly take off..
I say RCpowers doing it on a sky hawk.
In order to reply, I feel that I must do so in the appropriate thread. So, here is the Sky Surfer thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post15614594
I have a lot of respect for the folks here and staying on the topic of the thread except for 1 to 2 responses (rarely) to something else.
BTW- To stay on topic a little bit, I still love my stock FW-190. I have a 10g BL motor just waiting for installation in it.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 25, 2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Fix Airplane Model #
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I still love my stock FW-109.
Sorry to be a stickler but it's FW-190 not FW-109.

There's also the BF-109 which is a different aircraft.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I think he meant 190 .. it's just a mistype.. relax.. it's summer..
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:01 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Hey, You relax. There's an ME-109 and an FW-190 from Gravity. Not that it really matters but there is a difference and he could have meant either. So, it's not out of line to seek clarification.

And... by the way, pavcon, it's winter Down Under.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 02:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
here it's a 41Degrees celcius summer and RISING...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:03 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
FW or ME??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Sorry to be a stickler but it's FW-190 not FW-109.

There's also the BF-109 which is a different aircraft.
Quote:
I think he meant 190 .. it's just a mistype.. relax.. it's summer..
Thanks for the input guys. I do mean the FW-190. I fixed the original posting. It was in fact, a typo. I hope that clears that up. Sorry for the confuson.
AJ