Here's how I did mine http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1491
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:33 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
thanks giuseppi,

what size nylon screw did you use, and did you need to use a nylon nut or just the stock piece? I am thinking if I make a small alignment dowel/notch for the rear of the wing and use a screw to attach the wing it should pretty solid.

btw, the first picture looks like someone is sticking their tongue out at you
Fisticuffs! is offline Find More Posts by Fisticuffs!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:02 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,377 Posts
LOL. If we can get Slaanesh to pull the wing off of his FW190 and take some photos of his wing mounting I think it will be just what you need to see. His method is similar to mine but the bolt is in front. You and he have the same plane so should be much better for you.

The screw I used is a 10-32 nylon machine screw. I drilled a hole in the rear wing mount just large enough for the nylon screw to pass through. I then super glued a wooden dowel in the hole in the wing mount button (the one that goes in the fuselage) and drilled and tapped the 10-32 threads in it to accept the nylon screw. Afterward, the now threaded wing mount button is glued in the fuselage.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:03 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
guys I wanna do ailerons on my p51 mustang.. but stuck at a point... sould it be better to make the outter moving surfaces? or the inner ones .. I want some good roll rate.. I' mthinking that doing the outer ones should be better.. what do you think?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:16 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,783 Posts
Best to use the whole trailing edge as a strip aileron. Easier to hook up mechanically and much better control authority or roll rate. Nobody will notice at a 1000 ft.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thanks for the reply FP2
lol at 1000ft I won't know what the plane is doing
the lines for flaps and ailerons are different so it won't look so scale :P I know the whole line should be better.. I'm just thinking now.. between the two which is better.. on my FW190 I did the inner ones but I was not satisfied at all.. so I cut another 4cm from the outter "moving" surface and now I got some descent roll rate but I wouldn't risk to try a full roll...
anybody who did this on his P51 should know a bit better...

Pavlos
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,377 Posts
I looked at the pictures of mods done in other Micro Warbirds threads and from what I saw either the outer lines were used or just as flypaper 2 advised, used the the complete trailing edge.

The only other thing I can think of is that the inner line would indicate where the flaps are and the outer line the ailerons on a full sized P-51.

I have no personal experience with it.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
that's what I thought.. that's why I didn't get good roll rate initially... I was yawing right and recovering getting it back straight was sso difficult before adding those 4cm of moving surface..fisticuffs HERE did what Iinitially did Btw on the P51 I think that the 10G motor will stick out on this one. to make it fit in the fuse I will have to cut more foam. I ;m gonna do for the ailerons something I saw on a F4U corsair. 2 4point servo arms added as links on the ailerons.. while I was writing this I realised that it was you who did this at post #1531 (second picture) I think you got some good throw on your ailerons there isn't it? have you got a picture to show the throw of the ailerons? I think I asked for it once more.. pls post one if possible..
I'm gonna do the same thing... again 2s directly soldered on the on/off and charging switch to save weight.
my 2s is formed by two 1s cells that also saves me some extra weight.
receiver is the same as on my FW190. it's the HK dsm2 compatible.
I'm gonna continue the build tomorrow after work. it seems that the P51 due to the fuselage is one of the most challenging ones to build.

on my corsair that's still in the box I might try a 3s setup
Last edited by pavcon; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:57 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisticuffs! View Post
thanks giuseppi,
btw, the first picture looks like someone is sticking their tongue out at you

This made me laugh - you're right it does look like a tongue sticking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
LOL. If we can get Slaanesh to pull the wing off of his FW190 and take some photos of his wing mounting I think it will be just what you need to see. His method is similar to mine but the bolt is in front. You and he have the same plane so should be much better for you.
I'll take a photo tonight once I am back at home.
I still haven't maiden my FW-190. It's patiently waiting for some air under it's wings. Probably tomorrow morning as the weather/wind is looking better.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:56 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Here is my FW-190 RTF. I ended up just gluing the wing on for simplicity and to get it in the air as soon as possible.

Empty Weight - 3.25oz / 92.1g
AUW - 4.25 oz / 120.5 g
Fisticuffs! is offline Find More Posts by Fisticuffs!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:41 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
Strictly speaking, gluing the wing on is the lightest way of attaching the wing as you don't have to worry about extra hardware. If that's the case you should pull out the plastic housings in the wing sections to save weight as I recall these were relatively heavy. I removed the rear one as I didn't need it but kept the front one as a guide for my nylon screw.

By the way Fisticuffs, your FW-190 looks very familiar. Would be nice to fly our models together against some other warbirds!
BTW - you seem to be missing a decal on the bottom wing?

By the way, the Parkflyer 2.4Ghz DSM/2 RX are available at HK again. This time they have 1310 in stock when I looked.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thaaaaanks slanesh.. just ordered 4
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:33 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered 3...
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,464 Posts
All gone...
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:20 AM
Suspended Account