Glad to hear it Shane. Congratulations.

G
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,054 Posts
Ty, I havent filled the holes or added the decals yet but it does look great in the air, With the full span ailerons there is no problem flying in a small space, its really quite responsive. Now I have to try inverted flight
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:55 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
I cannot decide whether or not to fill in the holes in the fuselage for the switch and charge plate.

On the one hand there is the cosmetic consideration. On the other, some extra air vents might help keep everything cooler inside.

What do y'all think?
I did not install my switch - it's just extra weight.
I filled in my holes with scrap foam and then painted over it - you wouldn't know it's there now! I did the same with the rudder exit at the back as I've got ailerons instead. I don't think they'd be useful as extra air vents.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:13 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imyohero View Post
Hi guys I finally maidened my p40, and it flew great!

It has a fully symetrical wing made by gluing the wing to some 6mm depron then sanding the airfoil, and I also removed some of the dihedral and added ailerons so it has 4ch control. AUW is 4.2oz.

Shane.
A few pics and details would be nice. That sounds like a very low AUW especially with modded wings.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
I cannot decide whether or not to fill in the holes in the fuselage for the switch and charge plate.

On the one hand there is the cosmetic consideration. On the other, some extra air vents might help keep everything cooler inside.

What do y'all think?
The one I have here with me I used the scrap foam from my aileron servo cut out to fill the holes. The one I have at home I left them open but they have a use. My 3S 460 battery is sealed up inside but I ran the balance tap to the switch hole and attach an extention for charging. The charger hole has the JST BEC plugs for the battery and ESC, I hook them together and then tuck them back in prior to flight. Both connectors are almost a perfect fit.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:44 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Wing Mounting and Battery Access

Here are pictures of the wing mount and the battery access. The front is held with dowels and the rear is bolted. There is no need for a hatch and therefore no compromising the integrity of the fuselage.

I removed the foam that held the front plastic wing mount button with a razor saw and installed two short pieces of aluminum in the front portion of the wing saddle. These accept the wooden dowels which hold the front of the wing. You can't see them but each of the aluminum mounts has a short length of 1/4 sq. balsa bracing. A battery compartment is created by the removal of this amount of foam.

The wing is placed in one fuselage half at a time and marked for the wooden dowels. Holes are bored at these marks to accept the wooden dowels. The dowels are measured and glued in place and are trimmed to a point to ease alignment when installing the wing.

The battery pack slides in the nose where the red connector is.

With the wing in place the nylon machine screw is fastens down the rear of the wing. Simply remove the screw and the wing removes easily without having to be forced or wedged apart.

The final picture is of the P-40 on the scale with a two cell 270mah 20c pack assembled from HK Zippy LiPo's. AUW is 118.9g - 4.19760147oz.

There is plenty of room for a larger battery pack. With a two cell 450mah pack the AUW is 130.691302 g. - 4.61oz.

And yes MF, it is 3 channels. R-E-T
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:23 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,423 Posts
Quote:
The front is held with dowels and the rear is bolted. There is no need for a hatch and therefore no compromising the integrity of the fuselage.
My setup is very similar to your except that I have my screw in the front (using the same hole that the original front wing snap-on was using) and my single dowel is in the back (as I needed to get rid of the rear snap-on to make room for the aileron conversion).

Despite this I still made a magnetic hatch at the bottom front using the plastic cowling skid - which I've painted. The idea and mechanism for this is entirely inspired from my Parkzone Spitfire.

I'm using a 350mah Zippy 2 cell - I'm hoping that my AUW is going to be less than 110g - I've tried to keep everything else light. I'll change to a lighter battery if the COG turns out nose heavy.

I'll post some photos soon.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:10 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Zero Decal Sheet

Hey all,

Am wondering if anyone has the decal sheet for the ZERO and will scan it for me?

Thanks,

G
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:50 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Don't waste your time with the stock Brushed DD motor. The stock motor draws about 4 amps WOT and is underpowered for its weight. The stock RTF plane with the DD motor has a flight time of about 3 minutes.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=3
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:10 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
3 years makes lots of things change...
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:15 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Yes, my opinion has changed since 2007 on using brushed motors. BL motors are so cheap and light now that it does not make sense to use heavy clunky 130 brushed motors that burn out after +\- 40 flights.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 12:39 AM
Durban South Africa
Joined Sep 2003
188 Posts
I have had many hours of service with quite adequate power from my mw planes stock motors using 450 mah 2 s lipo. Flight times up to 10 mins or so.
When they give up then I goto a BL setup and move stuff forward
surflyer is offline Find More Posts by surflyer
Old Jul 02, 2010, 10:49 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflyer View Post
I have had many hours of service with quite adequate power from my mw planes stock motors using 450 mah 2 s lipo. Flight times up to 10 mins or so.
When they give up then I goto a BL setup and move stuff forward
Oh yea they work and I run them until they quit before changing them out to BL. I have 1 RTF P-47 left thats stock with the brushed motor thats at about 40 flights and is still going strong. My other 2 Cox warbirds have been changed over to BL.

I have a cheap HK ourunner on my Cox P-40 with 350 mah 2s pack that easily goes 10 minutes. I put 3 packs through it yesterday.

Here is a newer P-40 video. In this one I have a ELE out runner but have since switch to a smaller lighter one that works even better. No harm done due to the bad landing.

CMW P 40 (1 min 29 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Jul 02, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Modfly is that a ruder elevator or aileron setup?

I gotta get one of mine in the air soon.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:17 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,423 Posts
Judging from the slowish rolls I would say rudder/elevator.