HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:28 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
599 Posts
Discussion
From how far can my controller reach my plane

I still got my stock EZ* and today I did a new altitude record 337meters/1236feets.

I was wondering how far I can go with my EZ*, when using the Hitec Zebra 4 FM pro controller and the Hitec Zebra ZR 105SF receiver ? I had no problems controlling my plane at that distance. But someday I'm afraid that I go to high, and loose the control.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:05 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,529 Posts
If you go to high and lose control hen you are ok as when it starts to come down you will get it back. Going to far away and losing control is another thing as it will properly drop to the ground. the best way to know for sure how far you can go with you're setup is to test it and you can do this with the help of a friend. have someone hold the plane while you walk away while controlling it until you no longer have control, this will give you a better idead then a online member saying he can go 1500-2000-3000 ft.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:22 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
You will first lose sight of the plane
BUT if your radio batteries are low, well, I hope the plane lands close to here
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:08 PM
North Jersey
Joined Jul 2008
29 Posts
There are too many variables to say an exact distance a particular plane can fly before losing control. Bottom line is, straight up is the only direction you would want to go out of range if you need to. Any other direction and you will probably lose it.

Generally, there is a failsafe that cuts the throttle when it is out of range, meaning it'll float back down within range. Just don't fly it 2000 feet horizontally over a neighborhood. BAD IDEA

~Mark
m61hp09 is offline Find More Posts by m61hp09
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
wind sucks
Sarasota, FL
Joined Sep 2009
393 Posts
if you need binoculars to fly the plane properly, it's too far anyways!
chimmike is offline Find More Posts by chimmike
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:36 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Most are rated 1miles+
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:43 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
With most any popular radio systems you can get too far off to see orientation before you lose radio contact. At least if you can't see an EZ*, it is likely to come down okay by itself if you cut the power and let go the stick (unless it's over a freeway).
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:44 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
That radio is only rated for short range, so about 1500ft. would be max. And the receiver is a refaced Micro05S
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:37 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
That radio is only rated for short range, so about 1500ft. would be max. And the receiver is a refaced Micro05S
1500ft, that's about 450 meters. Maybe I should not go any higher, so far.

thanks
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:12 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,995 Posts
A couple of things.
If trying to check the range in the air, always do it up wind, never down wind. If the model loses the signal, hopefully it will drift with the wind back towards you.

Tx aerials radiate a signal rather like the shape of a donut. So pointing your aerial at the plane is usually a lower signal strength than turning the side to the model.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray