SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
Billie, had another set back and had to order new batteries. The original ones I had were just too darn heavy so I scaled back from 4000mah to 2700mah, so hopefully the new ones will balance her out better. Everything is working properly on the model.....but the stock landing gear are scaring me.....the right main doesnt always want to work. Maiden flight will be with gear down.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
anyone knows the static thrust of the f 35 5S stock ?
Thanks
BLS90 is offline Find More Posts by BLS90
Old Apr 05, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
Not gunna lie....this thing has been been a headache from the start. Ive had about 15 various EDF models and I just could NOT get this to fly right.....oh well lol.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:45 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Not gunna lie....this thing has been been a headache from the start. Ive had about 15 various EDF models and I just could NOT get this to fly right.....oh well lol.
What happened? Did you check COG before flying it?
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
Yeah, I had gotten input from other members on proper CG for this plane. CG and all control surfaces were always checked to make sure everything was working proper. It was weird, cause the very few times that I was able to keep it flying straight, the moment I would give any rudder input the plane would almost immediately turn over on its back.......thats what happened on its final flight. A tiny bit of rudder was used for tracking and the model instantly flipped over. Attached is my only recorded successful flight which was stressful....Im uploading the crash videos too....

Anytime you see the instant 180 rolls, is because of the slightest rudder input.

LX Models F35 70mm on edge flight (2 min 33 sec)
Last edited by JGuilty13; Apr 05, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
Final flight attempt.....
LX Models F35 final crash (1 min 33 sec)
Old Apr 05, 2013, 09:31 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I had gotten input from other members on proper CG for this plane. CG and all control surfaces were always checked to make sure everything was working proper. It was weird, cause the very few times that I was able to keep it flying straight, the moment I would give any rudder input the plane would almost immediately turn over on its back.......thats what happened on its final flight. A tiny bit of rudder was used for tracking and the model instantly flipped over. Attached is my only recorded successful flight which was stressful....Im uploading the crash videos too....
I am not the best pilot out there and have only been at it a couple of years. When flying this plane I immediately noticed how sensitive ailerons are. I see in the video some rocking back and forth...I had a hard time with this and dialed in expo, and had to take it really easy. There were a couple times where I thought it was going to roll as yours did. I got used to it and didn't have many problems since. I never have had to use rudder at all on this plane to main stable and level flight. My biggest issues were power/speed related. I really like the plane now and would buy another. Sorry about your troubles.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
My experiences seemed to be opposite of yours....my ailerons did not have as much authority as I would have liked. I have travel set to 120% on ailerons just to attempt to fly straight. The ailerons were not the issue for me, it was the rudder and more specifically the TV rudder.....once the plane was airborne, the ailerons would act as any other EDF Ive flown, but for some reason the model would never track straight for me no matter what adjustments were made. Once airborne, any rudder/TV rudder input would always immediately put the model on its back. Im going to chalk this up as a model that got the best of me......couldn't get it to do what I wanted, no worries, onto something else. Although the model has terrible stock ducting, the stock 5s motor puts out some decent numbers.....so into a new 70mm airframe they go.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:41 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
My experiences seemed to be opposite of yours....my ailerons did not have as much authority as I would have liked. I have travel set to 120% on ailerons just to attempt to fly straight. The ailerons were not the issue for me, it was the rudder and more specifically the TV rudder.....once the plane was airborne, the ailerons would act as any other EDF Ive flown, but for some reason the model would never track straight for me no matter what adjustments were made. Once airborne, any rudder/TV rudder input would always immediately put the model on its back. Im going to chalk this up as a model that got the best of me......couldn't get it to do what I wanted, no worries, onto something else. Although the model has terrible stock ducting, the stock 5s motor puts out some decent numbers.....so into a new 70mm airframe they go.
Really strange....my last flight with a little trim, was hands off and it tracked perfectly.

This was my second airframe though...the first ended up like yours.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
Yeah....Ive never had a plane like this one. I'm not saying that maybe I did something wrong on my part, but I just couldn't figure it out......onto something else. Probably put the money towards another Freewing SU34 at this point.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
52 Posts
My F-35 Thunder Bird scheme, set up with 60amp Esc, 2100kv motor and. 6s battery. Here're some pic.
Atx10 is offline Find More Posts by Atx10
Old Nov 18, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx10 View Post
My F-35 Thunder Bird scheme, set up with 60amp Esc, 2100kv motor and. 6s battery. Here're some pic.
Nice i cant wait til i get my F35 completed this winter.
ldmiller8 is offline Find More Posts by ldmiller8
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
308 Posts
Have you guys considered those stabilization gyros ?
There getting kind of Cheap now.

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Jul 04, 2014, 04:15 PM
Alberta
Joined Nov 2008
35 Posts
Would a 6s or a 4s work for this plane???
krar is offline Find More Posts by krar
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:06 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krar View Post
Would a 6s or a 4s work for this plane???
It's designed around d a 5S 70 mm set up. With increased weight the wings will need a spar or two.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member