Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
You forgot to add heavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
No 4s on the dps unit. Its the rclander one and you can find it at hobbyking for 60+ usd
dynamically balancedd perfect sound and packed with power
You forgot to mention heavy. There are 6S setups that or lighter with higher thrust and efflux. Can't beat the price though! $65
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
You forgot to add heavy
You forgot to mention heavy. There are 6S setups that or lighter with higher thrust and efflux. Can't beat the price though! $65
it's not that heavy.. comparing to other edf unit yes you are sacrifising some weight but it's not enormous.. for the performance and efficiency I believe that they are one of the best options.

yes there are also another 68mm DPS on 6s and another 72mm DPS on 6s but you can't find the 68mm 6s on hk so the price is at 100+ everywhere else..
here is a link to the chart with the performance weight and everythign you need to know
http://www.rclander.com/Files/%7Bb8f...5411226249.pdf

some blue font specs with the letter R in the end of the part number are the equivalent counter rotating fans for twin EDF planes.. it 's also said that the counter rotating sound even better when together..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Pav: They're great on value but to what are you comparing them to? Hopefully not the worst offerings. The CS thread e.g. doesn't struggle to produce 1.4kg on 4S and those are both affordable and some 60-90g lighter, depending how you motor or battery them, than a DPS. Thus the comment, heavy.

60g is significant because that decrease is weight can either be invested in more battery or better performance via better TWR for same amps expended.

And when I made the 6S comparison, 6S is supposed to be the heavier but I can get a 187g 6S fan and motor drawing 60 amps pushing 2kilos thrust at high efflux. Even that's 60g+ less weight than the DPS for better performance; 300g more thrust and 60g+ less weight for a net 360g improvement. That's an additional cell or 3000mAh in battery

So yes, It actually is a significant difference. For the price DPS isn't horrible but there are other better options out there.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 30, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Just weighed in....1700grams...whoa ...thinking about a different battery.
Well not good news from the field today...

Due to the weight, I decided to go with a 5S 30C 2200mah pack (lighter). Take off was fine but after that it really struggled...looking back, I think it was tail heavy (probably would have been better to stay with the bigger pack). I fought heavily with it to make a turn and land and was able to get it level and pick up a little speed. Just as that happened, I heard a "chunk" and the fan stopped. I then lost elevator and ailerons....finally a nose dive into the dirt.

My accident investigation found that, the fan impeller came off midflight underpower and cut just about every wire inside the fuse....checking my eageltree logger, at take off and there after it was pulling 70 amps and registered over 1200 watts.

Thankfully, I have a new airframe...I am going order a new fan and start over.

Again, i was using this motor and fan combo:

http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=176

http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=214
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
274 Posts
Just purchased the F-35 from :
edfhobbies.com

After seeing the price went up at toysonic i called to see if EDF had one
in stock.
HA ! -- $110 + shipping for the ARF version ; they have (1) left after my purchase.

He was in a GOOD mood that day ;
Really COOL Dude !!!

Probably gonna turn it into a F-35C like i did my Freewing ; "it"-- flew
a LOT better with the extra aria of the carrier version !! Also got rid of
the landing gear's on the freewing which helped even More.

One thing though : My directions from SKY FLIGHT HOBBY,say the length is 1185mm
and the Banana Hobby web-site says the length is 1272mm. Span was the same.

Do i have the same model as Banana Hobby ? Doesn't matter to me, it
looks Killer & i Like it !!!

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:08 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Well, this thread has been dead for a while.

I finished building my new F-35 for a "take 2" attempt at getting this airborne and dependable. This time around, I went with the same fan, however I am going to use a Cyclone 2500KV motor and start with a 5S pack. Likely i will end up trying this on a 6s pack as well.

I have to say that outside of the mistakes I made the plane has flown well...not extremely fast but respectable. I am looking forward to trying this new combo and see how it does.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,771 Posts
Good looking f-35. Hope all the bugs get worked out of this plane. Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,294 Posts
Can anyone out there give me an accurate CG for this model? I cant find it anywhere!
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Can anyone out there give me an accurate CG for this model? I cant find it anywhere!
I found that if you install the battery behind the cockpit horizontally, the advertised CG in the manual is pretty close.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:21 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Maybe this will help too.

Quote:
From Shockwave

Hey Guys,

I have been meaning to send this out for a couple of days now. I have a flight video that I will post tomorrow that will show flight characteristics and control throws that are working well for two of these models.

"Currently we have 12 successful flights"

Here are the settings that are working for two of our F-35's; I feel that the following are some reasonable starting points for a successful first flight from my experience so far:

BH F-35 bone stock Plug N Play version.
CG 1 1/4 inches (32mm) from leading edge wing root
Elevator throw High Rate +/- 1 1/2 inches (38mm) "Same travel for tailerons/aileron mix 15%
Aileron throw High Rate +/- 1/2 inches (13mm) 15% expo
Rudder throw High Rate +/- 3/8 inches (10mm) 20% expo
Thrust Vector throws as much as you can get.
Battery 4000 5S 30C Turnigy pack placed behind canopy.
Needed to add some weight to the tail to get the CG.
Add Carbon spars to the wings especially if you are going to use a larger battery.
Have nose wheel steering on a separate channel if possible.
Don't have the over all weight yet.
Tail surfaces are mixed for both Roll and Pitch.
Aileron surfaces are mixed for Roll and Flap "Mid flap is 15 deg Full Flap is 30 deg"

A little more detailed info:

I picked this model up directly from the BH warehouse in southern CA along with the B2 and SU-47. I wanted to mention that the folks I met at Banana Hobby were "very accommodating". If possible I would like to request that once BH/Pete puts together a flight review video for a specific aircraft that he takes a minute to go over the CG, control throws that were used; I would think that this would reduce/minimize the overall amount of QA/tech calls BH receives and but more importantly gives the customers a good shot at a successful first flight.

I can confirm that the F-35 is a Great Flyer and this is one of the BEST landing models I have ever experienced[/B]; takeoffs however leave a little to be desired. Controllability at all but the very lowest of speeds is great; when she does stall recovery is straight forward. Slow/High alpha flight with thrust vectoring is fun as well as flat spins; I have not tried inverted flat spins yet. With a stock setup this F-35 has a respectable climb out angle and speed range but I don't notice much of a difference above 3/4 throttle at straight and level flight. I assume that most on this thread are not using the stock setup so your performance may very well end up being better. Thrust vectoring is very effective even with the CG forward; I am able to muscle the airframe around with no problem. I use an 10 channel receiver so I burned a few channels to be able to lock out the trust vectoring when not needed; the F-35 is very maneuverable even without it.

Currently I am flying with a 4000 5S 30C Turnigy pack and I usually land with 35% reserve on a 4 minute flight. This pack fits very nicely behind the canopy and pushes back into the fuse about two inches. I did need to add some weight in the tail to help with the CG but I ended up forward of what the manual recommended; currently I am at the back end of the leading edge slat near the wing root " see pictures". I found that on my first flight I needed a good amount of down trim; my buddy ended up with the same down trim settings on his F-35. As I mentioned before l really enjoyed landings; approaches with 1/4 throttle are rock solid with a nose high attitude and reasonably slow speeds " no quirks at all. If you plan on adding flaperons as I did I notice that at full flaps (30 deg) the f-35 seems to want to roll to the left" still working this out"; again, landings without flaps need no aileron correction. On touch down you if you forget you are at high rudder rates and dealing with a cross wind you can end up tipping over on a wing "did it twice"; I plan to add wingtip skids.

There are a few items to make note of such as takeoffs are not that great no matter what CG setting, combination of ground speed, thrust vectoring or mojo you try to use; simply put the model leaps off the ground. Actually I did have one smooth take off out of 12 flights so far but this was due to strong gusty head wind IMO. the problem is that this model " at least the two that I have seen directly " has little to no incidence not to mention that the gear are set back very far from the CG. I am working on solving this by cutting the springs in the rear mains by 50%. If this is not enough I will remove the mains and cut out more of the foam in the landing gear bays; this should allow me to drop the rear end by 3/4-1 inch. Right now I am just ignoring the fact that this version of the F-35 jumps off the ground.

For me the servoless landing gear look great and seemed to work well at first" in fact I was surprised to see them included in the stock model" but I tried to fly at a runway yesterday that is relatively smooth packed clay/dirt (for only one flight) and now the gear don't fully retract and the nose wheel steering is very sloppy. I am reasonably sure this can be fixed but I would recommend flying off of a paved runway if possible. I plan on changing out the main wheels to something a little larger but I will more than likely need to make some modifications to the gear bays to allow for this. I would suggest using square carbon spars (6mm/4mm running full length of the wing) to help stiffen the wings up especially if you plan on using a larger battery pack.

The other thing to mention is the clevises are very delicate/brittle plastic along with most of the hardware that is supplied. My friend sucked a small pebble and blew out his rotor; he is in the process of changing out his fan unit.

All things considered I think this is a very good rendition of the F-35. With a few tweaks you will have a great time flying and especially landing this bird.

Good luck with your maiden flights.

David.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,294 Posts
Thank you mray! huge help.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Thank you mray! huge help.
No problem. Did you get it in the air yet?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:09 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Well, this thread has been dead for a while.

I finished building my new F-35 for a "take 2" attempt at getting this airborne and dependable. This time around, I went with the same fan, however I am going to use a Cyclone 2500KV motor and start with a 5S pack. Likely i will end up trying this on a 6s pack as well.

I have to say that outside of the mistakes I made the plane has flown well...not extremely fast but respectable. I am looking forward to trying this new combo and see how it does.
I finally got to maiden the 35 this weekend....or at least try. Didn't have near enough power and I can't for the life of me figure out why. According to what others have used and what came stock in the box, my combo should have done the trick just fine. Though I went back and looked, and the only thing different was my fan had one less blade, but they were larger and had more pitch. So I put together the stock fan with a 2750KV motor and later this week will try and get it up in the air.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Today I was able to get out to the field and try another shot at flying the 35. This time I installed the factory fan with a 2750KV from the FMS F4 Phantom (70mm plane) and used the same 5S-3000mah 30C pack.

Take off it had more power than with the Tahmazo fan/Cyclone 2500KV setup (used same pack). It lifted off not too far down the runway but I instantly knew it was still way underpowered. Several folks at the field commented while I was flying that it was under powered. I was able to make a few passes but it was a struggle to keep it up. I landed it after two passes.

The factory fan is a 6 blade and the Tahmazo is a 5 blade (though the Tahmazo has bigger blades, better pitch and better balance). There have been other accounts of this plane actually flying well using the stock fan, stock 2400KV setup with a 5S 2200- 3000 mah pack.

Since I have tried the 2750Kv/stock fan setup, and the Cyclone 2500kv/Tahmazo fan setup with poor results, the only other thing I can think of to try is the Cyclone 2500KV and stock fan combo to see how it works.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Started thinking about FSA and a thrust tube....checked my numbers for the fan FSA for the exhaust and it came in right at 100%....the exhaust nozzle is right at that 100% mark. So....not sure where else to look.