HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:24 PM
SFO USA
Joined Mar 2003
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
@Shockwave; Great job. I Looked at doing the same at first also. Then I thought of cutting the spring as you did and making up the difference with a much softer spring so that when it sat on the gear, the shock would compress to the needed wing AoA but once it lifted off the ground the shock would expand to normal length and would close as before.

Is it just my eyes though? You moved the gear all the way back in the bay. The shorter strut obviously made the difference but moving the gear further aft also has a similar negative effect. I'm moving my main gears forward and using a larger wheel in the nose to try to do similar.

In the video are Stabilator and Ailerons coupled or are they separated? Its too dark to see. If no, had you tried separating them and with what effect?

Thanks.

Pav, I did get some acro video on my other camera but I have not had time to convert it yet; I hope to look at it this week.

MT,

I actually did not move the gear back at all; just trimmed down the spring by 1/2 inch. My guess is since the gear do not push the strut out as far it looks as if I moved the main gear back. Your idea about using a lighter spring may work; I just did not have the time to hunt around for one. The ailerons and elevators are mixed together for aileron roll but not for elevator inputs. The ailerons also funtion as flaps when landing.
ShockWave is offline Find More Posts by ShockWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:25 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
nice.. looking forward to it...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
Have glue gun, will travel...
USA, NY, LONG ISLAND
Joined Mar 2004
870 Posts
It flies, it flies!!! ;-)

What about a larger diameter front tire/wheel to fix the ground stance problem?
Ken1.8T is offline Find More Posts by Ken1.8T
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:11 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,667 Posts
@Shockwave; Actually I remembered incorrectly. Its the nose gear that sits slightly forward. The mains are where they should per the foam mold.

Cool. So the flight surfaces for yours was not coupled by the wires but are mixed.
So the aft tail planes control pitch only or do they operate differencially as roll also. I don't want to use the term elevon so as not to confuse this with the wing surfaces.
And when you engaged the flapperons, do they still control roll or is that left to tailerons?

It flew very controlled so just trying to confirm your setup.

Thanks.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:53 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi ShockWave.
Nice mod and nice flight!
I tried to copy your mod and I like to ask if cutting the plastic leg would give the same result, ending with the same spring length and preserving the shock absorption efficiency.
Also, I see that we can drill a new hole in one of the two seesaw plastic arms, so the width remains the same and there is no need to cut the foam of the wells.
I will try them, but your opinion is valuable, since you are one step ahead!
Also, please give us the throws/mixes you use.
Thanks for helping
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:48 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,667 Posts
Actually is there anywhere that sells just the servo less landing gear?
And has anyone tried replacing the end strut to a straight rod to take a larger wheels?

But guys try the soft spring. I do this with a lot of my struts to create a little bounce and a shorter shock stroke and lower the mains. I have a bags of spring from the local hardware store and most of them fit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:14 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Hi ShockWave.
Also, I see that we can drill a new hole in one of the two seesaw plastic arms, so the width remains the same and there is no need to cut the foam of the wells.
Your idea as-is won't work, because the two arms need to be in proportion (accounting for the larger diameter of the outer shaft) in order for it to work.

What would make it work would be to drill holes in *both* arms. If you drill them exactly in the middle of each and relocate the bolt in there, this will keep the proportion and might reduce the extension enough to change the aspect enough for smooth ROG, and without having to cut the spring or disassemble the shaft. Once this is confirmed, the excess can be trimmed off.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Last edited by fredmdbud; Jan 19, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:18 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Ηι fredmdbud.
I didn't describe it as I had to. Of course you are right, they have to have the same length, otherwise they will distort the inner leg.
Nice you pointed this
Takis
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:22 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi Maxthrottle.
I tried to find the servo less retracts, but they not available right now (at list in the e-shops I tried, more then 10!). They will be later on, but they don't know exactly when.
I don't know if they are worth the cost. I prefer to test them on this model and decide if I will use them on my Su-29. They seem fragile to me and probably I will use Shangesun or Hobbycity DSRs.
Takis
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:19 PM
SFO USA
Joined Mar 2003
80 Posts
The Aft Tail planes control both Pitch and Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
@Shockwave; Actually I remembered incorrectly. Its the nose gear that sits slightly forward. The mains are where they should per the foam mold.

Cool. So the flight surfaces for yours was not coupled by the wires but are mixed.
So the aft tail planes control pitch only or do they operate differencially as roll also. I don't want to use the term elevon so as not to confuse this with the wing surfaces.
And when you engaged the flapperons, do they still control roll or is that left to tailerons?

It flew very controlled so just trying to confirm your setup.

Thanks.
MT, The Aft Tail planes control both Pitch and Roll; the Ailerons are also for roll and flaps.

I have some better Video's in brighter conditions showing the smooth take offs; I will be uploading today " adding them to my previous post.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
SFO USA
Joined Mar 2003
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1.8T View Post
It flies, it flies!!! ;-)

What about a larger diameter front tire/wheel to fix the ground stance problem?

Ken,

A larger wheel could help but I think that would look a little strange for my taste. You would need a wheel that would be 1 full inch larger in Diameter in order to get the 1/2 inch need for positive incidence.

If you try to lengthen the Front strut you will have to reengineer the scissors for added the added length.

For me the best option was to shorten the mains.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Hi Maxthrottle.
I tried to find the servo less retracts, but they not available right now (at list in the e-shops I tried, more then 10!). They will be later on, but they don't know exactly when.
I don't know if they are worth the cost. I prefer to test them on this model and decide if I will use them on my Su-29. They seem fragile to me and probably I will use Shangesun or Hobbycity DSRs.
Takis
I know what you mean. The servo set, what troubles me is they load the servo. So on rough conditions along with the pivot mech IMO won't last. A worm gear on the other hand mechnically holds everything stationary with no electical load.

I already have the PZ15091s ready for install. They have much bigger wheels for me to 4X4 my way along. I'm about ready to start roughing them in but before I did I wanted to give the worm gear one last look over re options; If I could change the wheels.

I have a door sequencer so I'll be adding an operating forward main wheel door set. I also split the nose gear door to be like the final AF-XX being deployed.
The duct work is whats really slowing me down. At this pace spring will be here before I know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWave View Post
MT, The Aft Tail planes control both Pitch and Roll; the Ailerons are also for roll and flaps.

I have some better Video's in brighter conditions showing the smooth take offs; I will be uploading today " adding them to my previous post.
Thanks so much. I look forward to the video. One of the things I was looking for is if there was yaw or pitch from the tailerons in a roll. The first video it didn't look so.
Also was looking for how much flaps may improve the landing seq. By the look of it it certainly does.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:07 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,667 Posts
Actually when I said bigger nose wheel it was to also shorten the strut enough for both to get a better AoA. But the small wheels are driving nut all together.
So if I added a 2" dia wheel on the mains I'd still have to cut the spring in half to drop it.

Shockwave, did you try take off with more flap before the gear adjustment?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hmm. the stock landing gear looks scale huh..!!!
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
hmm. the stock landing gear looks scale huh..!!!
The model wheels are 3/4 the size scaled of the front wheel of the FS.
The mains to scale are around 2"-2.25" where the model is only 1".

Either way I don't always fly off pavement and if I'm hand tossing I'm landing on grass. The video of the model landing on grass.... that's not grass, its more like outback ground shrub.
I call the field boss at my club to confirms he's just cut the field before I bring out my EDFs.
RCG Plus Member