HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:51 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Awesome Video. For those that bought the ARF version, what did everyone end up using for motors?
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post

Landing on grass on stock retracts
NICE !!!!!

So--Which one was --pavcon-- ..
in the Black & Red ?

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
LOOOL bille. that was from the chargedrc page.. I'm nowhere near Australia man..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2010
274 Posts
Quote:

Landing on grass on stock retracts
NICE !!!!!

So--Which one was --pavcon-- ..
in the Black & Red ?

Bille

Don't know there --mray-- that motor in "pavcon's",
looked plenty powerful !!
That was the: het6904 with a hoffman magnetics the beast. On 4 cell ??
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
once again.. that was not my vid.. that was a complete stock F-35 with a 2200mah 25c 5s
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
274 Posts
Quote:
once again..
I'm a Lil thick skulled
--But--
This time i Got it !
Bille
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Doesn't seem to have a whole lot of power.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Personally it lacks proper intake duct work which I think is hampering the power performance. There is nothing internally smoothing the internal air flow; ribs, bulk heads etc are all open to the interior air flow.

So I'm already working on the ducts.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:41 PM
Have glue gun, will travel...
USA, NY, LONG ISLAND
Joined Mar 2004
870 Posts
best part of that video was the landing!

Check this out, now this is a great "landing"

F-35B BF-2 Vertical Landing (0 min 36 sec)
Ken1.8T is offline Find More Posts by Ken1.8T
Last edited by Ken1.8T; Jan 11, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, SC, Mullins
Joined Jun 2002
130 Posts
Well, I have one showing up on the 14th. I've been flying EDF's for a couple of years now but have been flying helis and planes for over 20 years. This will be my first VT aircraft. I'm going to fly it without the TV on for a little while. Also I don't think I want to try it at first with the ailerons and elevators coupled, but may be ok. Just have to see how it feels. It looks like landings are really nice and that's a good thing. I'm used to flying planes that are "twitchy" and I like my controls pretty fast so I hope I will be able to enjoy this plane as much as I do my A-10 and F5.
pcjones51 is offline Find More Posts by pcjones51
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:38 AM
SFO USA
Joined Mar 2003
66 Posts
F35 landing gear modification to allow for smooth Takeoffs

Hey Guys,

I have solved the leap off the ground take offs that we are all experiencing; I did two flights today and I am very happy with the results.

Here are the steps that have worked out great for two of our F-35's; you should be able to finish this mod in under an hour.
  • Carefully remove one of the scissor pins on one of the main gear " these can break easily but you can use a small bolt and nut if this happens"; this will allow you to pull out the lower end of the strut and set aside.

• Take a small screw driver or similar tool and gently work the spring out. You might want to have the model right side up so you have gravity helping you. If this does not work take a paper clip and bend a very small hook at one end; use this to grab the spring and pull out of the upper part of the strut.

• Cut 1/2 inch off of the spring; on the larger of the two spring halves bend the cut end up slightly so that it does not gouge out the upper strut when compressed.

• Reassemble the strut "if you have the standard Servo activated gear you might want to use the servo slow feature on your transmitter so you don't strip one of the servo gears" if you have the servoless retract gear don't need to worry about anything. Now retract the gear; notice that the scissor now hits the side of the fuse; mark this spot or press the strut down slightly just enough to leave an imprint in the foam. Use a dremel to grind out a channel so that the gear close fully without binding.

• More than likely you will need readjust the spectra string so that the gear doors will close better. I used a bit of fishing line on my doors and it works reasonably well.

The results is that you should now have the mains about 1/2 shorter that will give enough positive incidence to allow for smooth takeoffs. I am attaching pictures and video now.

Video Link: recorded with my iphone
BHF35GearMod (2 min 56 sec)

I hope this mod works well for you guys as it did on our F-35's.

Take it easy.

David.
ShockWave is offline Find More Posts by ShockWave
Last edited by ShockWave; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added Video
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
good job,..
it i s true that some companies compromise the scale look for that/... it's a lot better to have the rear end lower than the front at least with the jets... helps a lot on take off since you get more lift while you are rolling for TO
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:23 PM
SFO USA
Joined Mar 2003
66 Posts
Quote:
good job,..
it i s true that some companies compromise the scale look for that/... it's a lot better to have the rear end lower than the front at least with the jets... helps a lot on take off since you get more lift while you are rolling for TO
Actually it does not change the look that much; just gives it enough nose up to make a difference.

I am working on a cockpit and leading edge slat mod currently; I hope to have it complete in the next week.
ShockWave is offline Find More Posts by ShockWave
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
nice work.. keep them coming.. if you get a good camera please take a flying video with some loops and turns TV style
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:57 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
@Shockwave; Great job. I Looked at doing the same at first also. Then I thought of cutting the spring as you did and making up the difference with a much softer spring so that when it sat on the gear, the shock would compress to the needed wing AoA but once it lifted off the ground the shock would expand to normal length and would close as before.

Is it just my eyes though? You moved the gear all the way back in the bay. The shorter strut obviously made the difference but moving the gear further aft also has a similar negative effect. I'm moving my main gears forward and using a larger wheel in the nose to try to do similar.

In the video are Stabilator and Ailerons coupled or are they separated? Its too dark to see. If no, had you tried separating them and with what effect?

Thanks.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design