HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:39 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,340 Posts
Discussion
Tough Plane

I'm getting set for the Winter building season and I am looking for a good tough beater plane that I can take out during the winter. I have several electrics and a few nitros. I would like an electric (36 to 50 inch wing - 3S power) that can take a beating on our grass field that will not get much maintenance during the Winter.

I am partial to scale looking planes and therefore I don't want a "flying box". Foamies are OK but they aren't as "tough" as a good balsa plane.

Any suggestions????
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 30, 2009 at 06:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
My "tough" plane is my Herr J3 Cub . It's right at home on wheels or skis ! If built light it can make a nice flyer for calm or breezy days . I hear the Herr Breezy day J3 is a good flying plane too . My J3 is about 21 oz.

-John

Here's a link to my build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Herr+J3+Cub
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:44 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,939 Posts
I have had two.

The Rake WACO SRE (38") was a go anywhere do anything plane for me. Could be flown as a putt-putt with 2s battery or throw in a 3s and zoom around (or fly in med winds). With a 3s would take off in about 5 ft. Light enough to bounce in the grass.

The MM C-180 was another one, but, on a lighter side. I even let several folks fly it who'd never held a transmitter before (up high of course). Would handle some stiff winds and catch thermals. Having said all this I may have to build another one

More? The Mountain Models Cubs look pretty nice. Dumas 40" electrics all fly slow enough to land just about anywhere. Just about any of Tritle's planes fly slow enough for rough fields. He has a 55" SuperCub with flaps that will land slower than I walk. His 310 is big enough to handle rougher fields.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:58 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
My Hobbyzone SuperCub LP is what I learned to fly with this summer.

Had a few less than perfect landings, and it stills flying after 474 flights!

That sounds like a lot of air time, but my average flight is just 2.5 mins.

Oh, I would have had more, but it spent 10 days in a tree when I got "distracted" for a few seconds talking to someone.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:49 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
I've got the Herr "Breezy Day" J-3 (36") and can vouch for its toughness. Mine flies very well on an IPS "A" drive, 7x6 GWS prop and 3s, but any of the small outrunners would do just as well. It only needs about 20W to fly with authority. Its only drawback would be its small wheels (about 1.5") which might limit its capabilities on a grass field. I fly from asphalt, but I'm thinking of putting some skis on it for winter flying.

If you get one, do a search to find my build thread.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:48 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,939 Posts
I did forget the three civil plans Ade Britton designed. I did the PA-12 for a diesel and it flies great. You could add larger 'tundra' tires to the cub. The other two are the C170 and Luscomb. They were all free plans in Flying Scale Models and we have kits of each.

The J-3 kit from Dare would be another good one if you added larger tires. I have seen Tritle land it on 3" grass just fine. Slow flier too. 60" span though.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:29 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,340 Posts
With my requirements being ARF, tough, 36-50 inch wing, and electric 3S power, I have norrowed my choices down to three planes: P-51 Mustang, and the e-flite PT-19 or Taylorcraft. I have a little more research to find a good P-51. I have looked at a few foam P-51s and like the looks but not the foam.

Still looking.
Vic
Old Nov 01, 2009, 03:44 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
I have a little more research to find a good P-51. I have looked at a few foam P-51s and like the looks but not the foam.

Still looking.
Vic
Vic,

HET RC do 40" P51. OK, so it's a little dodgy scalewise, but it really is an excellent performer! 3S 1800 cells, Typhoon 15/10, 8x6 prop.

Will happily sneer at a stiff breeze, and will knife-edge indefinitely!

tim

http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...products_id=33
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 01, 2009, 04:23 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,340 Posts
Het p-51

Tim, that looks preety good to me. The price looks even better. I could not tell from the HET web site but is this a NO LANDING GEAR plane? Not a show stopper but would be nice.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 04:47 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
Tim, that looks preety good to me. The price looks even better. I could not tell from the HET web site but is this a NO LANDING GEAR plane? Not a show stopper but would be nice.
It does come with a tail-dragger set-up as standard, although a lot of customers (me included) don't seem keen on a fighter with its wheels down. No matter, it's an easy solo handlaunch.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 01, 2009, 04:58 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,340 Posts
I just might try this one - the price is right for a built up balsa plane of this size.
Thanks