HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:28 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Build Log
Radian FPV Build. Pic Heavy and FPV Videos

This is my first real post and my first real veture into the world of FPV flight. While looking in to fpv flight I was set in using the EasyStar because of it success. Being a nitro guy I went to the LHS in search of a EasyStar to start my venture into eletric flight. Well they didn't have the EasyStar in the shop but the owner would not stop going on about his Radian. After walking out the door I thought to myself, ehh what the hell. I bought the PnP version of the Radian. I'm glad I did. This thing is stable and flies for ever. Third flight... 30 sec motor 50 mins of flight. So I was sitting around the other day reading the forums and decieded to start my FPV flying with the Radian. There is not much FPV flying with the Radian so I thought I'd start a thread on my build. I still don't have most of the parts so it will be updated as the parts come.

I will be flying with this.

TX : Futaba 9z
RX : Hitec Mini 6s 72mhz (for now)
Pan servo : HS-85BB
Tilt servo : Tiny servo off a Walkera heli (Don't know the name but I think it
handle the job)
R/E servo : Parkzone PKZ1060
ESC : E-Flight 30 amp
Battery : Parkzone 3s 2200mah

I will use the ESC to power the RX and servos. Hope fully it doesn't shut down. I dout it will because 2 more servos should not affect that much hopefully. Tests will prove otherwise.

This is what I want along with the price and order I will get get them:

Other - kx131 ($83.00)
dpcav - 900MHz Pro-series TX 500mW ($129.95)
RV - 900MHz video RX x2 ($50.00 each) ($100.00)
dpcav - Oracle Video Diversity Controller ($159.95)
RMR* - TrackR2 Headteacker ($159.95)
Other - Antenna/Batteries/Etc/shippping +/-($300.00)
RV - Video google ($275.00)
RV - RVOSD ($335.00)
RMR* - RC UHF LRS ($349.95)
Total $1892
That can't be right!!!
Ofcoarse this is a build up. So it will be spread out thank god.

So here are some pictures of the start.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Last edited by man2000me; Dec 31, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:56 PM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
You need to change the esc. I have one fpv crash with the radian and that was because the esc shut down. Now I'm using the 40amp pro. Works great!
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:16 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
I'm one more for it - to replace to 40A and, probably, use separated BEC. Your bird is going to be more heavy and motor would overheat ESC and as a bad result overheat initial BEC and as result to failure RX.
Cheers.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:08 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Is there light weight 40 amp ESC you can recommend that will power the RX with the servos. I plan to run everything including the vTX, rc rx and camera off one battery. I know it is not recomended but I'm stubborn. Haha
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:03 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Is there light weight 40 amp ESC you can recommend that will power the RX with the servos. I plan to run everything including the vTX, rc rx and camera off one battery. I know it is not recomended but I'm stubborn. Haha
Some time ago (last year) I bought 40A ESC from this site

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

very fast delivery and you can buy anything else for same price $2 delivery.

As you see my pic that ESC (40A) fits very well.
And one more pic with Co-Pilot and camera

Today was very windy and gusting, Radian just danced on sky.

Cheers.
Last edited by IL76MD; Oct 28, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:33 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
hey man,
i'm using a radian for fpv. i love the plane -- flies great, easily to repair, enough room for equipment, and overall not too expensive.

glad to know about the esc. i'm still using the stock one without trouble so far but may upgrade given the responses.

couple recommendations for the radian:
1. i'd place some clear packing tape along the leading edge of the wings. i love the z-foam but it does have a tendency to flake off in chunks with wear and tear
2. i mounted my video transmitter on the bottom of the tail boom. for people interested in doing this, the tape along the bottom covers a thin piece of fiberglass that is about 1/4" deep and runs the length of the tail boom. be careful not to cut this since it will greatly weaken an already flimsy tail.
3. dont rely on the stock magnets alone to hold the canopy on with the camera mounted to it.
4. consider running some strips of packing tape along the inside of the wing insertion slots on the top. this part of the fuselage is very thin and with one of my crashes it cracked in half over the wings. the tape will help distribute the force.
5. others have suggested replacing the stock control horn linkages with dubro ez-connectors.
6. after a few crashes, the wings were getting a little loose. i dont think they would come off but just in case i put some velco on each side.

here are pics of my ship -- "nemo"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1159
rc_ron is offline Find More Posts by rc_ron
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_ron View Post
hey man,
i'm using a radian for fpv. i love the plane -- flies great, easily to repair, enough room for equipment, and overall not too expensive.

glad to know about the esc. i'm still using the stock one without trouble so far but may upgrade given the responses.

here are pics of my ship -- "nemo"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1159
Thanks for information and, even more, i replaced stock wings joiner by stronger joiner from EG. Somebody already had it broken on flight.

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:18 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Nice build. Have you flown this model yet? How does it do? Are you using a separate battery for video feed?

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
I have flown it just as you see it to see how the extra wieght (so far) would affect it. I added no extra weight to fix the C.O.G. i just moved the battery further back. I don't even notice the extra wieght of the servo. just have to add on the tilt servo, cam, and transmitter. 92 grams +/- 10 grams. more of weight. (2 standard servos and one hs-85)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:53 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
i'm using an extra 800ma 2cell which is probably overkill and i do notice a difference with the added weight. stock the plane just floats and i can easily get 20 minutes or more a flight. with the fpv equipment i use the motor more and have to work a little harder to keep it up.
rc_ron is offline Find More Posts by rc_ron
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:25 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
I'm adding one component at a time and still flying it. So far with one mini servo there is not much of a change in wieght. So I would not expect the flight to be much different. I am using the 3s 2200 battery instead of the smaller lighter one. I plan on using one battery. I 've been following the one battery thread and that has helped with all of planning. From what I understand the video gear does not take much to run. I expect running the gear off one battery and thermals will give me 1 hr of flight on a good day but maybe 30min on a bad day. That is enough time for me.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:00 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Does anyone know the current draw in mah for:

Hitec Mini 6s
2 parkzone 1080 servos
1 HS-85bb
1 walkera 7.6-2

The E-Flight says it would run 5 analog servos no problemin the manual.
The servos listed are all analog and either mirco or sub micro.
With what you guys are telling me I'm doubting the E-Flight pro 30amp.
Also when they put the radian pack together I'm assuming they were expecting a 2.4 rx be used. The 2.4 supposedly draws more power then a 72mhz rx. If the esc bec were to fail would it power back up once cooled down?
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:11 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Don't chance the plane losing connection when an External BEC is like 10 bucks.
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Okay, I must admit...I'm astounded that a switcher BEC is only rated at .7A. Then again...it is listed to handle 5 analog servos (which can be well over the .7A limit. I going to guess the switcher can handle the load of the added servos.?.? I've used Dimension Engineering and Castle Creation BECs. They're more than $10, but have never let me down.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:07 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Since we are on the subject of ubec... will a ubec run a 5v cam filtered from a 11.4 lipo with no interference?