Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:35 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Discussion
LISF -Long Island Hand Launch Classic: possibly new dates

Guys I am in need of some help.

My daughter's birthday is Aug 8 and due to familial obligations I might not be able to help host the LISF DLG contest on the weekend of Aug 7 and 8.

I would like input from those who are thinking of attending if an alternative could be found.

1. Host it Aug 7 and 8 and find someone to run the contest for possibly the last round or two and hand out awards.

2. Move it to July 31 and Aug 1 - unfortunately, AMA NATS is that weekend and sailplane conpetitions are then so we might lose a few contestants. Then again, most do not fly on consecutive weekends anyway.

3. Move it to June 5 and 6 or May 15 and 16 - June might be better but as always weather is an issue. then again this would give everyone a chance to practice for Polecat 2 weeks later.

4. Any suggestion you may have

Here is the current ESL contest schedule at we will be trying to amicably fit ourselves into.
May
May 1/2 BASS (DLG)
May 8/6 Mother's Day weekend
May 15/16 Open to (DLG)
May 22/23 TMSS
May 29/30 Memorial Day weekend

June
June 5/6 ** Open ** (DLG)
June 12/13 SKSS
June 19/20 PoleCat (DLG)
June 26/27 LISF 1

July
July 3/4 Independence Day
July 10/11 DBSF
July 17/18 CRRC (DLG)
July 24/25 > NATS

August
> August 1 NATS
August 7/8 Open to (DLG)
August 14/15 CRRC Soar-In
August 21/22 CASA (DLG)
August 28/29 ESL Mid Season

September
Sept. 4/5 Labor Day Weekend
Sept. 11/12 CASA
Sept. 18/19 SKSS (DLG)
Sept. 25/26 LISF 2

October
Oct. 2/3 East Cost Fest. (DLG)
Oct. 9/10 ESL EOS DBSF
Oct. 16/17 ESL EOS (DLG)

Thanks guys for your time and suggestions. It is much appreciated. I would like to get back to Jose with our decision ASAP so he can update our timeslot.

I put alot of responsibility for this contest on my own shoulders not because I do not have help (I have a rather extensive amount of help) but rather I feel it is my responsibility to uphold the reputation of the ESL and LISF and keep them in the best light possible. The CDs before me (TD contests at LISF) have shown that LISF has always hosted a great bunch of contests and I do not want to falter from that track record. I know I can and have relied on LISF for support but I want to make sure that whatever date we choose that we take into concideration the attendees as well. Afterall, the contest is for all of you.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Oct 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,195 Posts
Frank,
Late July and August is better for me just for the fact June is a VERY busy month with Yacht racing.

There is my $0.02

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
2. Move it to July 31 and Aug 1 - unfortunately, AMA NATS is that weekend and sailplane conpetitions are then so we might lose a few contestants.
Just so you know, July 31/August 1 is in fact the F3K nationals (as opposed to some other sailplane event that might not quite as direclty conflict with your contest).

No way I'll be able to attend your super cool contest whenever you have it. But I do wish you the best of luck with it and hope folks post write ups for all of us to enjoy.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Well,

It seems that none of the dates are all that good. Aug 7 and 8 is too close to the AMA NATs., May this year has 5 weekends and so that slot is available but what will happen when it only has 4? Probably being the new May contest, I will get moved or I will have issues with Mother's day. June is nice since it would give guys time to practice for Polecat 2 weeks later but then again the club already has a contest later that month so it would be rather difficult for me to ask them to work and give up two weekends in June for ESL contests.

So I guess I am stuck with Aug 7 and 8 and will have to wait to see if anyone gives up a better slot.

I have forward my request for those dates to Jose and Doug so we shold be all set (although I did not hear back but I did inform the ESL pres so all I am sure will be fine )
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:17 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,500 Posts
I say if you had to change it, then May is best.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp